Handling; Car's rear feels disjointed from the front?

Darron1823

Oct 27, 2009
Edinburgh
m.facebook.com
Hey folks, does anyone have the feeling with their Mk2 that the rear doesn't feel connected to the front at times? It feels like the back responds a few seconds later.
If anyone has felt this have you found a way to fix it?
I'm running Weitec coilovers for what it's worth.

Cheers

Darron

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Have you checked tyre pressures? Over inflated tyres can affetc the feel of the car on the road.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
lol how do you sad-acts get it in halves! :D

FR is probably heavier engine than sport so maybe it doesnt look so flat but i used to have ppl come up to me saying my tyre was flat when i was running 32

Darron1823

Oct 27, 2009
Edinburgh
m.facebook.com
Lol. Digital tyre gauge. All the cool kids have them... :D

Jealousy gets you nowhere my friend [B)] my mate works for a sports car engineering company and gave me it, no complaints. Im 100% sure its nothing to do with tyre pressure as the back end feels like its wandering but will inflate them a little more and make sure I get it bang on 32.5 at the front and 29.5 at the rear...I like being a cool kid :rofl:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Im 100% sure its nothing to do with tyre pressure as the back end feels like its wandering but will inflate them a little more and make sure I get it bang on 32.5 at the front and 29.5 at the rear...I like being a cool kid :rofl:

Have you just had new tyres fitted?

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Jealousy gets you nowhere my friend [B)] my mate works for a sports car engineering company and gave me it, no complaints. Im 100% sure its nothing to do with tyre pressure as the back end feels like its wandering but will inflate them a little more and make sure I get it bang on 32.5 at the front and 29.5 at the rear...I like being a cool kid :rofl:

No jealousy here, I've got one! lol. We're the cool kids, Graham has to catch up... :D

If it's not tyres or tyre pressures causing the wandering then I guess it's suspension related. Did you not just get the front bushes etc sorted? Maybe the rears need doing like you say or there's some other issue going on.

Darron1823

Oct 27, 2009
Edinburgh
m.facebook.com
No jealousy here, I've got one! lol. We're the cool kids, Graham has to catch up... :D

If it's not tyres or tyre pressures causing the wandering then I guess it's suspension related. Did you not just get the front bushes etc sorted? Maybe the rears need doing like you say or there's some other issue going on.

Haha so your a cool kid too :coolthumb

Its defo not suspension as iv checked the rear springs, it just feels like its turning a few seconds after the front. My mate thinks its because of the independant suspension? It may be me and coming from an evo that handled like it was on rails?? Whatever it is, it doesnt bring confidence going in to a corner.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Not 100% sure but I think the front is independent but the rear is multi-link??

Not driven an EVO so I have no basis for comparison but I guess they're pretty different.

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
Have you got front and rear the same height all round ?

One of the best things recommended by some guys I did track days with my Peugeot 106 series2 Rallye was to up the rear height 10 to 15mm above the front. It really transforms the handling in little lowered cars, the front seems to be so much more willing to turn in, so it might be worth a try on a slightly heavier car too ?

Haha so your a cool kid too :coolthumb

Its defo not suspension as iv checked the rear springs, it just feels like its turning a few seconds after the front. My mate thinks its because of the independant suspension? It may be me and coming from an evo that handled like it was on rails?? Whatever it is, it doesnt bring confidence going in to a corner.

Myabe that's your problem....if you were used to pushing on in the Evo your Cupra will be struggling in the corners driven down a B road at similar speeds. Having said that I haven't noticed the 'disconnected' feel you describe in my Cupra....just the usual understeer if you're pushing on when the car wants to go straight on in a corner. The 4WD/AYC set-up on the Evo eliminates this characteristic unless you're going at speeds which are dangerously fast on public roads.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members