Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Well i have been busy again..... just been dragged outta the garage by the missus to start getting ready to go out tonight, not too bothered actually im freezing....

So started by staring at the flanges trying to imagine how it was all gonnna pan out....

I thought it would be best to start with cylinder 1 as that pipe would be the longest and i will have to match the length for the rest of the cylinders -

DSC01018.jpg

I started trying all the different bends etc trying to make it work, in the end i started again but its so hard to imagine how difficult it is making it all fit nice and work out at the right angles -

Cylinder 1 all tacked up -
DSC01019.jpg

Started on cylinder 4 next, cylinder 1's partner -

DSC01020.jpg

Again started again, completed -

DSC01021.jpg

DSC01022.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

I can't tell you guys how many times i have tacked a bend on the cut it back off to readjust.

So i tried it on the car to check fitment, it was a bit of a pain to get on. I'm going to need to move the brake pipe shielding to make it a bit easier to get on and off.

Pics on Car -

DSC01024.jpg

DSC01025.jpg

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

I did try and measure the length of the pipes to check to see if they are similar length, it's not the easest to measure but they seem to be within an inch or so of each other. I might remove the pipes and tape the joints up and fill them with water and measure it in a jug, but that will be later.

Another break for pics...... silly 10 pic limit.

Last edited:

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Update Continued -

So i bolted the turbo back on just to check for downpipe routing, and of course to take somemore piccy's !!

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01029.jpg

DSC01030.jpg

So thats me finished for the night, going round me mar's for sunday dinner tomorrow so may not get back in the garage until Monday but i've got all week so :D:D

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Graham as always superb work mate, most of us can only dream of having the skills you have and the attitude to see it through to the end hats off to you.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I still can't get enough of seeing that turbo!!! Simply awesome.

Great work bud, really doing well here with this. Loving reading every update. :)

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Hi Graham,

Build is looking sick, well done. Going to be IMMENSE!!! Keep up the good work. Just a quicky, what do you think of the forest engine mounts, I need to get some sorted for mine.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Thanks for all the great comments lads, really spuring me on to get it finished :D

I'm really enjoying the build at the moment, i've been looking ofrward to the mani build for ages :)

Oh and James, i can't really tell you how the BFI mounts feel as i am a bit off driving it yet but the quality seems very good.
I went for the hardcore stage 2 PU mounts, there is a slightly softer version thats suppose to be better for dailys but i thought it would add to the "character" to have me fillings loosened :D

I will update again tomorrow as i will have a full day in the garage as the missus will be at work ;)

I have just ordered somemore Sch10 weld bends as i have used a lot more than i planned.... but then again i didn't plan to build a sidewinder set-up.

Also just ordered a new Argon regulator with a y-piece and 2 flowmeters for when i weld the pipes up properly doing the purging.
Splashed out on a new WP17 TIG torch and some bits and pieces for the torch, the one that came with the welder wasn't that good quality... you get what you pay for and all that :whistle:

Anyhow until tomorrow, ta tar.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Been continuing with the manifold build today.

I started by redoing the pipe for cylinder 4, i measured it a bit more acurately and it was 1.5" shorted than cyl 1...

So remade it, quite complex but measured better -

DSC01032.jpg

DSC01034.jpg

So i then tried it on the car, i had to remove the steel water return pipe from the engine block. The minfold was really tight to get in. The cylinder 4 pipe was right in the way of where the down pipe would route so back to the drawing board AGAIN !!!!

I thought i would leave cyl 4 for now and get cracking with the middle two.

DSC01035.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01039.jpg

Started with Cylinder 3 -

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

DSC01044.jpg

Break for pics.................

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Continued -

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01045.jpg

So restarted doing cyl 4 again.....

DSC01046.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

Then pulled it all off and started again for the 4th time :cry:

DSC01049.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

So feeling quite chuffed with myself i decided to put the manifold on before calling it a night and cyl 4 is fouling against the bulk head [:@]

So i finished the night by pulling off cylinder 4 and checking fitment of the rest.

Its okay but cylinder 3 needs adjusting slightly, i'm just gonna lower the height of it slightly so the pipe runs more parallel with cylinder 2, that will give me a bit more clearance with the bulkhead / bonnet.

I'm quite happy about todays progress, i know it doesn't look like i've done much but it's hard work constantly cutting / welding and adjusting everything.
Still i'm getting there.,.

And i got a cheque through the door today, apparently i paid too much tax a couple of years back.... £729.96 OOOHHHHH yeh !!!! Winning :D

Last edited:

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
bloody hell well done there , this is amazing work , will you be ceramic coating it ?

Cheers mate, thanks.
Yeah was thinking of getting it ceramic coated & possibly the turbine housing / downpipe, some of the pipes are gonna be quiet close to the bulkhead / bonnet so coating them will keep everything that bit cooler / less melted :)

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
indeed with all that great work the time and effort you must of spent , would be a shame not to ceramic coat it, this is by far the best build i've seen on here no disrespect to the rest of the uys on here

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
indeed with all that great work the time and effort you must of spent , would be a shame not to ceramic coat it, this is by far the best build i've seen on here no disrespect to the rest of the uys on here

Cheers Mate, really appreciate the comments, this forums great for the support & advice off everyone. And you forgot the fact the Ceramic coating looks awesome !!!!

Jul 4, 2010
Cambs
Apparently ceramic coating the manifold/hotside will increase spool up time (hot gasses flow faster)
I dont know if its actually noticeable, but it is definitely something I will be looking into, I got quoted £300 for a downpipe, manifold and hotside including collection & delivery. Not bad atall I though.

Pukka Job Graham as always

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Great progress matey, keep at it :thumbup:

Cheers, will do bud, got all week so there should be plenty of progress / updates this week :D

This week i'm aiming to have the manifold all tacked up, then start building a brace.

I need to get the front end all assembled and built up so i can concentrate on the bodywork. I would like to have it all done ready for paint in the new year.