2011 Winter Tyres - What are you opting for?

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
Not bothering with winter tyres, you don't need them as long as you treat the conditions your driving in with respect!

Very True

I respect the changeable aspect of winter driving, therefore I chose to fit winter tyres.

Firstly I hit a patch of black ice after a 12mile drive on clear and gritted roads
Secondly it snowed whilst i was at work and I had to drive back home at 10-15mph.

I know not everyone is sold on the idea of fitting winter tyres, but if you've not tried something maybe you can't offer a considered opinion.

FRozz

Oct 17, 2010
Romania
Last year I had no major problems driving in the winter on summer tyres despite the heavy snow and would never be able to drive any faster alot of the time anyway because of the traffic. However after reading up on winter tyres I decided it was definitely a good idea and now have 4 falken eurowinters fitted. The way I see it, its not all about getting stuck (tho it will be far less likely to happen with winters) its more about safety. I wouldnt buy cheap Chinese summer tyres because I wouldnt want to risk losing grip on a corner or having increased braking distances, so why risk using summer tyres in the winter?? I did have a few "moments" last year too when I hit ice or slid out on a corner, just luck that I didnt hit anything.

As many people have said it doesnt really cost anything overall. You can buy 16" steelies for £50 and then the tyres are significantly cheaper than 17" ones and you save tread on the summer tyres. Also if just one of those near misses ends up not missing then you will end up paying far more in insurance excess and increased premiums. I spent a long time looking for the best option and ended up getting a set of standard alloys in great condition with almost new summers fitted on ebay for £350 delivered. My alloys are in need of a refurb (after using them through winter) so decided to fit winters on them, so now I have 4 alloys with winters, 4 alloys with summers and 4 spare summer tyres (that came off the car) so will be years before I have to buy any more tyres and my good alloys wont get ruined like they did last year.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
I put mine on yesterday after a slightly hairy moment with my R1Rs on a cold damp Friday morning.

Think I'm buying 3 sets next year. Some R1Rs, Assy 2s and possibly some more winter tyres depending on how these wear.

Dabbalz

Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Very True

I respect the changeable aspect of winter driving, therefore I chose to fit winter tyres.

Firstly I hit a patch of black ice after a 12mile drive on clear and gritted roads
Secondly it snowed whilst i was at work and I had to drive back home at 10-15mph.

I know not everyone is sold on the idea of fitting winter tyres, but if you've not tried something maybe you can't offer a considered opinion.

Do they really make that much difference?
I'd have thought snow chains in the boot would have been a better idea but if winter tyres are so good, i hold my hands up and should really give them a go.

FRozz

Oct 17, 2010
Romania
I'd have thought snow chains in the boot would have been a better idea but if winter tyres are so good, i hold my hands up and should really give them a go.

This is the problem! Everyone seems to think of winter tyres as "snow tyres". Snow chains will only help if you get stuck in thick snow, once you get free you have to take them off. Winter tyres provide much better grip in cold, wet, icy conditions as well as improved grip in the snow.

As I said above, if you wouldnt put cheap "ditch chaser" tyres on in the summer then using winter tyres in the winter is exactly the same idea.

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
I was thinking last night if your gonna prepare for winter do they make winter brakes? Pads&disks n stuff then should u change ur tracking for winter?

If you have a remap should you consider or should the companies offer summer/winter maps?

Just a thought I'm sure other stuff could be changed

FRozz

Oct 17, 2010
Romania
I was thinking last night if your gonna prepare for winter do they make winter brakes? Pads&disks n stuff then should u change ur tracking for winter?

If you have a remap should you consider or should the companies offer summer/winter maps?

The main concern in winter is grip. Since grip comes down to the contact between the tyres and road the tyres you use will have the greatest impact on grip. Sure suspension, power delivery (maps) and brakes will all have a slight effect but nothing compared to having the correct rubber. The cost (nothing overall) of changing tyres is well worth it, whereas changing suspension and brakes etc will have high cost and comparatively very little improvement.

jh1

Jan 28, 2011
Oop north Teeside

Yep theres loads you can change

last year I remapped my rear wheel drive ice skating sports tyred beemer for the red crf in the front of the pic -

Image0560.jpg

reduced my white nuckle 1hr drive around the world to try and get home in the morning (Shift worker) to about 15minutes.

But last week fitted Avon winter tyres to the Cupra - who knows what'll happen - but trust me driving too / from work on really bad roads, getting stuck at every bank and not being able to get home at daft oclock in the morning is no fun.....
The front tyres were in need of changing so thought I'd give em a go.....

Unfortunately spare steel wheels are not an option as theyre expensive as an 18" if you can get any - as Im sure youre aware 16'"/ 17" steels are a no go and by the time you get tyres etc your up to mega bucks ---- :cry::cry:

I used snow chains (with summer tyres) before I got winter tyres for my FR. They work well for getting you home if you're stuck on snow covered roads. The ride quality (if that's even the right word for it) is truly awful, kinda like driving a tractor I imagine. They work in deep snow (several inches) as long as it's not so deep as to become heaped up in front of your car.
But that's the only circumstance where they're useful. Using chains on bare roads is dangerous, illegal and will wear them out very quickly. They are tools of last resort and a little faffy to install and remove (certainly if it's dark and snowing and you haven't practiced it beforehand).
Snowsocks are apparently easier to use (although I've never used them) and also offer a dose of extra traction if you get trapped on a snowy road, but again they'd wear out very quickly on bare roads.
Neither chains or socks offer the benefits of winter tyres in wet/slushy/icy cold conditions where there isn't a full covering of snow on road - i.e. conditions which are quite normal for our winters and for which summer tyres aren't great.

Johnersh

Apr 13, 2011
A proper freeze last night and temperatures down at little more than 3oC this morning - exactly the type of level where winter tyres work better than standard summers - to say nothing of the slippery leaf mulch, now that the trees are finally shedding.

I'm now a one car family and can't run the risk of not having a usable car (accident damaged or abandoned were it to snow heavily again). New set of steelies and some HANKOOK ICEPT EVOs and away we go....

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Kleber Quadraxers up front (new this year) and some Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme XL's on the rear from last year.

Fish

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Mine are on now.

Smart's were fitted last week - Vredestien Quadtrac 3's on steel wheels.

Kuga changed yesterday - Dunlop Wintersport 3D on 17" Alloys.

Photo mid-way through, 19" Summers on the front & 17" Winter on the rear.
Kugawheelchange.jpg

Slightly different - Bridgestone Dueller HP Sport & Dunlop Wintersport 3D
BridgstoneDuellerDunlopWintersport3D.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.