MPG going downhill... Advice please

dodger893

Hi, I've had my tdi sport for a couple of years now and love it especially how economical it was, when I got it I could get high upto 70mpg on a run and easy in the 50's round town but this is decreasing fast and I now struggle getting to 40mpg round town :( Ive just serviced it and fitted a new MAF sensor but its still the same. Its not been mapped or any engine mods.....Advice and help would be much appreciated, thanks

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
Why is the title to this thread "MPG going downhill" ? if you're talking about achieving the best mpg downhill then the best method is to leave the car in gear and coast as opposed to neutral.

The trip computer will display mpg on the fly as --- this is because you are not using any fuel. you can also do this when leading upto a junction etc.

DKershaw

1.4 Sport
Apr 6, 2009
West Yorkshire
Why is the title to this thread "MPG going downhill" ? if you're talking about achieving the best mpg downhill then the best method is to leave the car in gear and coast as opposed to neutral.

The trip computer will display mpg on the fly as --- this is because you are not using any fuel. you can also do this when leading upto a junction etc.

Lol he is saying that his mpg has deteriorated since getting the car a few years ago and would like to know why..... And not wanting to know the best way to coast..

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
Lol he is saying that his mpg has deteriorated since getting the car a few years ago and would like to know why..... And not wanting to know the best way to coast..

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

LOL my bad !

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
it may have been serviced but has it had a new air/fuel filter the standard 40K replacement is crazy make that 20 and your not far off, other wise check out the egr valve /manifold if crudded up it won't help this assumes no binding brakes and tyres up to spec

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Fuel/air filter
Brakes
.. pretty common for front slider pins to sieze on the front calipers
.. pretty common for the rear pins to also sieze, plus they rust up the discs and that drags, plus the handbrake actuator shaft seizes .. all things that a service might not catch.
.. and if a Cupra with AP calipers then the stainless pads allow the alloy casting underneath to corrode/swell and drag the pads (but you are spared that).
low tyre pressure
added extra bodywork or changed the tyre profile?

dodger893

I had new air, fuel, oil, pollen filters new oil etc. Brakes seem fine, jacked up to give them a spin and there good. The mpg is alot worse than the bad winter we had last year so dont think its that. Also forgot to say it can be a little hard to start from warm, it will always start from warm just has to turn over for along time. Could this be down to overfueling and flooding it a bit??? Which might also explain poor mpg!

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Fuel temp sensor may be playing up, this may be making it harder to start as well as playing havoc with consumption figures. Recently changed one on an Audi pd130 for the same symptoms, though a fault code had been logged.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise