Mk1 toledo

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Hi mate!
Like this!
f6037a00.jpg

Got a spare 20vt here so I'm gonna find out how hard it is to drop in!
Ak

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Mk.1 Toledo was based on the Mk.2 Golf platform. Not sure if the 20VT was ever fitted? Doesn't make it impossible, of course.

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Ok
Mork has advised me that once I get an Ibiza rear engine mount I'm pretty much there! So il be dropping in a 180bhp 20vt engine in " the brick" as it's now known!
Quite looking forward to it!
Ak

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Alright an update on the toledo mk1/ cupra hybrid!
In two weeks time it's off to r tech to get the 20vt motor out my breaker/spares car ! Hopefully a stage one map too! 207bhp+ in a mk1 tolly! Nice! But it will take a while as to get everything done it's 30 to 40 hours up and running! I would do it but just don't have the time! R tech are going to use it as an "in-between jobs" project over the winter! The brick should be fun on the way back! Fastest mk1 around?
Ak

Tartan58

Ex Seat Owner!!
Apr 10, 2008
Edinburgh
Like your thinking - this will be an interesting one to watch.

I had an identical looking one a few years ago with the 150bhp 2.0 16v engine and it was decently quick and a bit of a sleeper as nobody know what it was so I expect 200bhp+ will be lots of fun! I took it off the road with a view to making a project out of it but ended up getting rid of it when I moved house and lost my rented garage space.

Last edited:

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Well it's just left for the tuners on a twin transporter with most of a Leon cupra I'm breaking! Took it out last spin as a normal one! Be a couple of months now before it's ready. But they did say that was on the outside! I have sent a camera for them to take lots of pics for me too! Am quite excited now it's finally on the way! Think they are putting brakes etc etc off the Leon on it too if it fits! Gonna leave it all standard exterior wise except il put standard cupra wheels on it ( sprayed black of course) and maybe a bit of smoothing!
Ak

reeksy86

Sep 9, 2012
South Wales
Did you get any pictures of the car after, and have you still got it? I have recently brought a MK1 toledo, very cheap, so looking to do a bit of restoration, ('98 plate in faded red!) be good to see a newly painted one again.

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Sorry only just seen this post! I will post pics up of it a week tomorrow as its in the bodyshop having a respray in onvi yellOw as per my other two Leon's!
Will be doing a readers ride thread on this as I have about 200 pictures of it being built at the tuners etc! Let's just say its a lot quicker than a standard mk1. ........
What one do you have?
Ak

reeksy86

Sep 9, 2012
South Wales
Mine is a faded and well worn 2.0l Mk 1!! Planning on making minor changes at the moment, then doing a full buffing of the paintwork, to try to bring it back to a respectable standard, (you will see just how bad when i am allowed to upload pics) I only paid £150 for it, so willing to put a bit of money into it at this stage, passed MOT with no advisories in Nov, so should be ok this time at least.

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Go say hi to some newbies and bring you're count up!
Red will come back shiny. Had a gt one a few years back and the roof had gone white! Got it back still even that bad!
Ak

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
I'm looking at a late model blue 1.6 E. Looks like a good car for not much cash. Any known issues with these? Like weak gearboxes? I'd quite like a TDI but they seem rare. I love the no-nonsense looks and the big boot. :cool:

hughie

Ive got a W plate Blue 2.0 ltr 8 valve with 176k on the clock....has its moments but when its right its lovely to drive.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The Toledo is unpopular because of it's saloon shape, hatchbacks are much more saleable. Hence Toledo Mk.2's (from which the heavier, weaker Mk.1 Leon was derived) are very good value for money.

I had an Imperial Blue TDI 110 for a few years before a WhiteVanMan totalled it for me. I replaced it with a Toledo TDI 150 Sport, found via Pistonheads. It is absolutely delightful. The Toledo is also the only platform of that era with the V5 engine, which if you can stand the fuel consumption is also a real delight. There are Toledos with the Cupra engine fit too.

All have the added benefit of stealth styling, good-looking (that Giugiaro body shape looks better on the Toledo in my opinion) but understated and with no "boy racer" bits.

Hughie, your W plate is a Mk.1, with the hatchback opening to the rear taking the boot lid with it. Very good for awkward loads. They are fairly rare now though.

hughie

I like it mate I also thinks its a lovely looking thing..drives ok..without its fault.....dont know what fuel consumption is really like as ive only had it about a month...getting about 100 miles per 20 quid give or take...so its now a rare car.....nice to know and this one isnt in bad nick.

cheers