Caliper issue

sheriiff

Jul 17, 2010
northallerton
Im wanting to know wat other vag cars have same caliper as the 16v 280mm discs? Im needing a new front passenger caliper, gunna av a look at scrappys tomorrow, ive thought of the usual like golf gti/vr6 is there any other cars, help pls

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Yeah it will make difference, they have different carriers or something, and hubs are 5x100 so that would be a ballache too

sheriiff

Jul 17, 2010
northallerton
This is gunna b a ballache i think il just buy a reconditioned one, be easier, than trying to find one at a scrappy, cheers for the help suj,
Collies are on getting tracking/camber done on monday. Cheers

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Alot of places do a thing, where you pay with a deposit, but get deposit back when you drop off old caliper back, try that (GSF did it ages ago, don't know if they still do).

Also good work on the coilovers, once tracked, will be great :D

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
That is a good price for them tbh, good work finding them, I would get some sliders for the calipers all round if you can afford it too mate, as they are prone to ceasing, I know, I had it happen to me, and man was it a headache finding a carrier :( lol

Yeah makes the car handle so much better than standard :)

sheriiff

Jul 17, 2010
northallerton
I got mine out quite easily when i renowned my discs/pads last month, i bought some of them slide pin gaitors, mine were all split, i shudnt have that worry, im hoping fingers crossed.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Ok thats fine then, but get the correct grease, DO NOT use copper grease. Something like Castrol LM Grease is great, can be had from Halfrauds too :)

sheriiff

Jul 17, 2010
northallerton
I was just gunna ask wat grease to use, why not use copper grease? You use on brakes n that,bit of a strange one, il get sum of that castrol grease.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Copper grease is used for an anti-seize lube, mainly for things to be tightened and left like that, until undone (like a bolt, so it doesn't seize), but as the slider is a moving part, and it doesn't have grease water repellent properties, it's not ideal for the job.

Something like LM grease, it has better water repellent properties, it can be used in bearings (moving parts) and also can withstand high temperatures (like brakes provide), so is perfect for the job.

Alot of people use "red grease" i've not used it myself, as I have some Castrol LM, and has been perfect since :)
(also alot of people say not to use red grease too, as it dries out)

PS just to add, the person before me used copper grease, it basically dried out from the movement, gathered on the end, damaged the rubber boot and allowed crap/water in, and was seized good and proper to the carrier :(

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.