Seat rns 510 navigation unit

Apr 6, 2010
Just wondering what is the difference between a seat version rns and a vw rns, I know the vw one has a memory card slot but other than that do they both do the same thing I.e DVD, dvb-t etc?
Thanks for looking, any help will be appreciated.

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
Nothing different really I believe.

The SEAT versions only went up to version B, which was LCD, not LED. VW go all the way up to F, with a bigger hard drive, faster CPU amongst other things.

This will tell you most of what you need to know http://www.mfd3.com/

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
can video in motion be activated on the seat version?

Also can newer firmware be put on the seat version A? I know that seat FW only goes up to 1024 but can the vw stuff be used? finding not having the 7 digit postcode entry a real ball ache :(

Last edited:

Jammy78

Aug 27, 2004
Hemel Hempstead
You can't update the firmware with the Seat Version...... & Seat are never going to release newer versions!

Best to get the VW unit - continuing improvements, full postcode search, add own POI etc...... who cares about the VW logo on bootup!?

wjohnson

Dec 17, 2008
Oh poo sorry guys I thought that was public knowledge its been plastered over the vw forums for a while now?

alesi27

My other car's a Mustang!
May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
I just did it on mine last night (VW RNS510 Version B) and changed it to the SEAT Media System screen, using the links posted in the link above. Unit was still working this morning when I did the school run....
:D

wjohnson

Dec 17, 2008
Yeh will work fine. Like with all these kind of things working out where the boot logo lives on the file structure is simple and then replacing it is almost as simple!

Jammy78

Aug 27, 2004
Hemel Hempstead
I haven't had a chance to read the links (work blocks them).

Was it easy to do? Did you have to re-install everything with the new logo?

I don't really want to change the FW, scared of bricking it?

Top Dog

Aug 12, 2011
Wolverhampton
Sorry abit off topic, but were is the best place to get the units from. Am i right in thinkin it wouldnt really matter if it was a audi, vw or skoda unit as i would be able to change the boot screen?

alesi27

May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
Jammy78;

I'm assuming that you have a VW unit and a PC with internet at home, and a dvd burner.
I use Firefox, this might be different on IE or other browsers.

Click on
http://www.netdata.be/iso/

go to the Volkswagen tab in the black bar across the top and click on it. This brings up a gallery of images. The OEM screen for the SEAT Media System is the second one down in the left hand column. (there are other Seat ones, but they are few and far between.)

Left click on the image and this brings it up on a pop-up window. Select Volkswagen RNS510 from the list under the large pic and then right-click on the large pic. From the list select "save image as" and save it to your PC, somewhere easy to find. It should save as a PNG image.

Now, go back to your internet and the netdata page you were on. Click on Home in the black bar across the top.
Step 1, select Volkswagen.
Step 2, click browse and select the PNG image file you just saved to your PC, and upload it.
Step 3, click create ISO file. This should convert it to an ISO file.
The next pop-up window should give you the option of what to do with this file. Select save file and store to your PC or open with and use your burning software. I use DVD Decrypter, they also suggest Nero.
I then burned the file to a DVD R.

Check out this video on http://www.netdata.be/iso/?action=howto or from the HowTo tab on the black bar. It's not english but shows the sequence of events. Most is automatically done by the unit itself.

Go to car. Turn on unit by power button, not with key in ignition. Press and hold the eject, the i or star button next to it and with another hand the setup button. The unit should go into setup mode. Insert the disc.
when you get the message Do you want to proceed press YES.
When you get the UPDATE SUCCESSFUL press eject and remove the disc, the unit should restart in normal mode. And you should have the lovely Seat Splash screen.:clap:

Top Dog;

I got mine from Ebay. Took a calculated gamble from a Lithuanian based seller, but he had 100% feedback from selling other similar units. Unfortunately, he is now listed as No Longer A registered User.

HTH.
Roy

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Sorry abit off topic, but were is the best place to get the units from. Am i right in thinkin it wouldnt really matter if it was a audi, vw or skoda unit as i would be able to change the boot screen?

I would imagine the Skoda units have green illumination for the buttons, which would look a little weird in a SEAT.

Jammy78

Aug 27, 2004
Hemel Hempstead
Wow, it worked a treat....... now I've got the OEM Screen on start up!!!! Absolutely no point getting the Seat Version now!!!!

Nice one alesi27 !!!!!!!

alesi27

May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
Maybe just change the glossy black insert around the screen to the silver (platena galenza?) one as per the SEAT OEM version?

Nah..... it's fine...

Glad it worked.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.