Vcds 17069 p0685 help

Leepeet69

Hi can anyone help me with this please Seat leon cupra 20vt wont start

checked all fuses etc

17069 - ECM poer relaycontrol circuit (j271)
p0685 - 35-00 - open circuit

Any help idea would be great

Thanks

Leepeet69

I dont seem to have voltage at j271 relay and all fuses on the side of dash and on top of battery are all ok :(

Leepeet69

Just to be sure ive been told the j271 relay is in a black box in the engine bay? ok ill check all fuses under the dash shortly

cheers

Leepeet69

Confirmed j271 relay is marked 428, now just to check fuses under dash!

Leepeet69

Removed trim under steering wheel and checked fuses under there all ok! Does anyone have autodata and can tell me which fuse supplies j271 relay?

cheers

Leepeet69

Yeah found the relay just need to find the supply fuse and cant find it anywhere checked all fuses underdash, side of dash and on top of the battery!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
SC10.... I think

But that's in the ones that are on the side of the dash

It could be dodgy wiring after proving everything else

Leepeet69

Ok ill double check all fuses tomorrow and then ill have to look at wiring! just funny how i parked it up the other night and came to it the next morning and it wouldnt start!

Leepeet69

found a dodgy fuse :) replaced it and u now have power to the relay holder, i put the relay in and it wont energise :( so i linked out the 2 wires the relay controls and the car started!

With the relay out i put 12v down it straight from the car battery and it seems to work fine, ill get a new relay tomorrow from Seat and see what happens!

Leepeet69

New relay put in the Seat and it wont energise! Ive got 12v to the relay coil but theres obviously no current to energise the relay, any ideas?

Leepeet69

Ground is ok and all terminals that relay plug into are ok, i cant understand this lol

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
well if 12v and 0v (ground) are ok then then you need to test the relay, connect it up across the batery and check it energizes. if you have a meter then check that the contacts change state correctly.

if that all works then there must be a damaged/fraid cable/connection which is not allowing sufficiant current flow.

Leepeet69

Yeah 12v is definatly there with the ignition on, i have fitted a new relay today from Seat and still no joy, like you say i think there is a current flow issue to the relay coil which is why its not energising ill start tracing wires tomorrow but if anyone has any Leon cupra 20vt 04 plate electrical drawings they could be very helpful!

cheers

Windy

Check the voltage at the coil when the relay is plugged in. i.e plug it in but leave enough out to get your meter on. Then energise it and see what the voltage reads to the coil. If it is still 12 then suspect the earth side as corrodded/damage/faulty connection. If it drops from 12v then suspect the live side of the wiring to be faulty/corroded/damaged.