Slow DSG Gear change

Chris Rearie

Bocaaaaa
Aug 16, 2011
Scotland
Sometimes in my Boca if ive been driving for quite a while and i stop at lights or roundabout etc, when i pull away again my car will stay in first gear for ages! even if i drive slowly it will creep up to the red line and then lag its way into 2nd. Just out of curiosity ive just driven slowly until it changes gear and it will take it to 7/7.5k rpm then go into 2nd. Not really sure if this is normal and does my head in so i just change with the paddles,

would any one like to enlighten me of what this is or how to sort it?

Chris Rearie

Bocaaaaa
Aug 16, 2011
Scotland
Hmmmm dont know. its pretty intermittent......thinking about it now its not done it this week! when im going for it, it works great like it should! :D

Dec 3, 2009
Apparently the DSG learns how you drive......

But I do notice in my FR the gear changes do take ages to change sometimes.

Aug 3, 2011
I believe it sense hills and inclines and holds(or drops) a gear to go up them when there isnt really any need, there are a few on my way to work(40mph road but I get it intol 7th then stick it in drive) that it will drop to 6th up a slight incline but now I just knock it into manual and it stays where it is.

SO unless you were on a hill or had the pedal down pretty far It shouldn't hold on to the gear that much at all.

Jay

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
There is a dsg update for them. Dunno if this would help you out. I think I have also experienced what you are talking about mate

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
my leon does thes from time to time, now you mention it, usually the first gear change from cold when i leave work, ive not really noticed it any other time. Ill keep an eye on it and get back to you.

Chris Rearie

Bocaaaaa
Aug 16, 2011
Scotland
Its not doing any harm i guess its just annoying. How i resolve it is knock it over into manual kick down then move it back over into drive till i see it changing in front of me...this usually sorts it out! :D

theGetaway

Oct 23, 2011
Happens to me too occasionally when I floor the gas pedal hard on Drive. Wondered about what it could be until I realized the gas pedal only goes down to 90% when pressed. If you press it hard it goes down a further 10% and shifts on redline. It's almost as if it behaves like Sport mode when you press the pedal that way. You can check this pedal travel I'm talking about when the engine is switched off.

Found this on the wikipedia page for Direct Shift Gearbox:
...This kick-down may be engaged by any increased accelerator pedal opening, and is completely independent of the additional resistance to be found when the pedal is pressed fully to the floor, which will activate a similar kick-down function when in Manual operation mode.
...Current variants of the DSG will still downshift to the lowest possible gear ratio when the kick-down button is activated during full throttle whilst in manual mode. In Manual mode this kick-down is only activated by an additional button at the bottom of the accelerator pedal travel; unless this is pressed the DSG will not downshift, and will simply perform a full-throttle acceleration in whatever gear was previously being utilised.

Last edited:

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
Had my cupra since june 2011. Twice it has happened now where I have come to a stop in traffic in manual mode and when tried to pull away nothing happens when the accelerator is pressed. The rev counter stays on idle. I tried to put it back into D mode then drive off but still nothing. Only way to clear it was to turn off the ignition and restart the car.
Do you think I should take it in to the dealers. There are no fault lights on.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise