Water leak above pedals

PSX

Sep 20, 2009
Bad news - woke up this morning to ice inside and out on front screen - prod test reveals soggy driver side front and rear carpets once more. Two significant points - first, my housemate has left a £500 Citroen Saxo with a failed MOT blocking up our driveway so I have had to park with two wheels up on the verge recently (water potentially pooling in drivers side). Second, over the weekend there was a LOT of rain in the south east and my car was parked on a slight downward slope (nose facing down). This suggests to me that I could be getting ingress from the rear somewhere - not a clue where.

Car is going for service at SEAT Oxford on the Wednesday so I might ask for some advice, however I am envisaging several more nights drying out carpet and taking my dashboard apart.. Perhaps the best thing will be to get the hose on it over the weekend with a helper and try lifting up the edges of the carpet to trace this thing.

In any case, the bulkhead seam is perhaps not the problem and I think I'll need to get the battery disconnected and the wiring box out of the way to find the problem.

Alex

NI3K

Nov 19, 2009
Ive just had to reseal passenger side as noticed a bit of water was coming in when i was going around corners, was the ancillary panel seal, just trickling in a bit with all this rain recently, saw it pool in passenger footwell and run on top of the carpet all the way to the rear, just resealed it and got the dehumidifier out there again
turbo009 did you put sealant around the electrical box? that solved my issue when I had the same problem

turbo009

Red Lightning
Jun 15, 2008
Grimsby North East Lincs
Ive just had to reseal passenger side as noticed a bit of water was coming in when i was going around corners, was the ancillary panel seal, just trickling in a bit with all this rain recently, saw it pool in passenger footwell and run on top of the carpet all the way to the rear, just resealed it and got the dehumidifier out there again
turbo009 did you put sealant around the electrical box? that solved my issue when I had the same problem

Ive found some sealant in the garage mate,so at the weekend when i have more time,i will be taking my 2 door panels off to re-seal them
Thanks

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Hi there, i know this thread is old now, so im hoping you have all fixed the problems now.
Im having the same problem, a leak from above the pedals somewhere, it all started when i had an 01221 fault, failure of drivers side impact sensor, lifted the carpet and sound insulation to find a lake, it was soaking. But strangely the carpet was dry. I dont think its the doors leaking as the sills and carpet remain dry, i did notice that to the right of the pedals where the arch is was damp high up, so it seems water is tracing in and down because i park on a hill facing up.

Im going to attemp to remove the scuttle and seal everything, especially bulkhead joint.

Is there an easy way to remove scuttle, then also lower dash to seal as much as i can.

Also is there any other places to seal whilst im digging around there.
Forgot to say its a 2004 FR TDI

Thanks in advance jack

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
waterleaks

Hi,Take the time to remove all the foam gasket from under the fuse box and replace with a good bead of silicon sealer and do yourself a favour and stick an airline around the panel as thats when i found the hole in the bulkhead. It was invisable until the airline blow the silt out of it. I then had to repeat it on the other side under the pollen filter. I removed all the seats and had to us a garden roller to squash the water out of the sound deadening under the carpets and 3 days to dry it!been fine ever since!
good luck

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
By the fuse box, u mean under the dash, or is there some electrical boxs under the scuttle. Is the scuttle simple to remove? Would a wiper puller help to remove wipers?
I had the drivers seat out, carpet wedged up, rear footwell sound deadening out and tumble dried it, couldnt easilly remove drivers footwell sound deadening so again propped up and had heater in there, then had a/c on on full recirc with heat in footwells to help dehum the car. Iv also tried to park facing downhill to help pinpoint leak. Thanks again.

So basicily i need to clean and seal joints n grommets under scuttle as a first fix?

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
all the sealing was done from under the bottom, wipers off, scuttle pulls up and remove 4 pins that hold fuse box to panel, pull it up and seal away where foam gasket was.make sure you put plenty as panel not too flat.:p

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Just braved the cold and washed the moter, with drivers door open i ran the hose on the door, to find water leaking from the ancilary carrier. so ive found a leak, however im not sure thats the only one, as my carpets are never wet on the top, just underneath. so after reading this thread i removed fuse box cover and lower dash, but where am i looking to seal, do i need to unbolt the whole fuse box with all the relays and 30A connections? i pulled away the carpet and sound insulation on the arch by the acc pedal to find it damp higher than the door seal, which is why im still looking for a leak from up there some where. im waiting for a dry day to remove the scuttle and seal under there from outside. but what do i need to seal from inside the car?

thanks again Jack

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Just disconnected battery and about to start removing interior to dry it out, fit new crash sensor then strip doors down to fit butyl rubber strip. Then gonna remove scuttle and seal away as precaution.

One thing that has helped mine, is to cut notches in rubber seal at bottom of door to expose the 3 drain holes, also i removed the front window bottom seals and thoroughly cleaned, they seal much better now because when i put a wet window down it comes up smeared dry, wereas before came up same.

P.Bryce

Scuttle panel removal

Hi posted last night. Finally removed my plastic scuttle panel cover. Bit of a disaster really. The cover has a plastic 'T' shaped lip that snaps into a metal channel along the bottom edge of the windscreen. This pulls the rubber seal tight onto the screen. I put a block of wood right up against the bonnet hinge, a towel over the wing in case I knackered the paint, and levered the cover with a long screwdriver. It came up alright, but left the lip in the channel. So I did the same from the other side and EUREKA, up it came. I just ran my finger between the cover and the channel as I lifted it out all across. The trouble is now, the last two inches of the cover on the drivers side has the lip hanging off, and will probably not pull the window seal down properly. I am going to try and weld it back with my soldering iron, and also run a bead of sealant along the bottom edge of the windscreen under the rubber. All I've got to do now is find the leak that's filling the driver's footwell. I think it's coming under the loom box cover. Seat have used these useless foam seals that disintegrate, like in the door panels (done all those with butyl already). But I can't get my hand around the back of the cover or a mastic gun there because of the wiper mechanisms. Any ideas please?

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
2 or 3 bolts and the wiper mechanism comes out, i thought it would be a pain but its not, just remove bolts and fiddle it out thru the gap, makes access much easier. Going to remove mine later to check cruise control wirring as my new cruise kit doesnt work.

P.Bryce

Wiper mechanism removal

Hi Cleverspoon,
Thanks for the confidence builder. I'll give it a go this p.m.

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Iv done mine earlier, removed wipers, scuttle, wiper motor and fuse lid. Fuxed cruise control wirring and refitted it all. Removed foam seal on fuse lid and sealed with butyl and lsx silicone sealant once all fitted. Fingers crossed it wont leak now.

The wiper mechanism is a little awkward to remove, but it does come out easy enough then just sits on top of engine.

Im happy now cruise is sorted, although pin broke in plug so a little bit of wire and soldering later i bypassed the plug.

P.Bryce

Hi again spoony,
I was still very hesitant about removing the wiper mech, but then thought what the hell. Three bolts after, it came loose. At first I could not get it through the gap because the wiring was stopping it and I couldn't get the connector out. Luckily the loom was attached to the black plastic elec cover with tape, and when the tape was cut it gave me enough extra length to get the motor assembly out and on top of the engine. I wish though that I had seen your latest post before sealing the cover. I didn't have the courage to loosen it and get the old foam seal out. So I cleaned all round it, then pressed some round butyl sealer that I had previously used for the doors, into the gap. Then I went round the whole lot with a chamfered fillet of silicone just to make sure. Went round the bonnet release grommet for good luck, and also in the very back corner there looked like some dodgy work with sealant by Seat, so I squirted some in there as well. I have had the car form new, that is about 10 years, and everything is as clean as a whistle in the scuttle. Still low mileage, and until last year had no trouble with leaks whatsoever. Then both near side footwells got wet. Took it to the dealer and they fixed for £70 a door. Then the drivers door went. Same story. Then the near side passenger door started leaking again, so I took it back and they did it free of charge. This year off side rear footwell filled up as well as drivers footwell. So I sealed both doors again. I was horrified to see how VAG had done the job for £70. They just pressed butyl putty along the bottom edge. Never removed the old seal. But whilst doing the job I noticed water running down next to the throttle pedal, hence the latest job. I am convinced that all of these leaks that people are experiencing are because of dodgy sealing gaskets used throughout the car. Luckily I found SeatCupra.Net and people like yourself, otherwise I would have given the damned thing away. Cheers mate, and glad to see that you have fixed your cruise.

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Yeh its so easy to fit butyl in ancilary carrier, if your gonna do a job you may as well do right from start.

Im soo happy the cruise is working, iv had it fitted for a while and now find myself using it as much as i can.

Yeh its much better to use buttl on fuse box cover, i had enough left over from door seals, i then silicobed the outside edge for safe measure. If you have had a leak there, check your relays under steering wheel, i saw my fuel pump relay (grey 109) was corroded wnd flioded, this could have welded on and ruined fuel pump/ caused problems in future.

I think the only common place to leak i have left is the seal under pollen filter, but touch wood this is ok for now.

I agree, big thumbs up to SCN and all the info on here.

Jack

The real G-Man

Apr 6, 2009
Neil, no idea if you'll get this of not. Never really used these forums properly.

But I think I have the same type of leak as you had, only on the passenger side of my 2005 Ibiza.

I've pulled back the carpet and had a really good look, and I thought I was going crazy as it looked like the water was coming I from this seal between the 2 panels! I didn't even realise it was a seal (as the sealer is painted the same colour as the panels) until I read your post!!

How did you go about sealing this? Did you just seal it from the inside of the car, or did you have to seal the outside as well? If so, how'd you do the outside?

I think if I try and seal the outside, it'll be a real job to get to that section because of where the leaks located!

Any help of advice you could give, would be a great, great help, as I am stumped and my car is soaking inside!!

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
Neil, no idea if you'll get this of not. Never really used these forums properly.

But I think I have the same type of leak as you had, only on the passenger side of my 2005 Ibiza.

I've pulled back the carpet and had a really good look, and I thought I was going crazy as it looked like the water was coming I from this seal between the 2 panels! I didn't even realise it was a seal (as the sealer is painted the same colour as the panels) until I read your post!!

How did you go about sealing this? Did you just seal it from the inside of the car, or did you have to seal the outside as well? If so, how'd you do the outside?

I think if I try and seal the outside, it'll be a real job to get to that section because of where the leaks located!

Any help of advice you could give, would be a great, great help, as I am stumped and my car is soaking inside!!

I was lucky that the leak on mine was coming from the very right of that seam in the bulkhead. I was able to get access from the inside of the car by removing the side of the dash and the door seal, I sealed it from the inside on a dry day.
Car is long gone now so I can't comment on how it lasted.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.