What power could I expect from my TDI 150 Leon after the following mods?

leonfrtdi150

Hi All,

I have a Leon FR TDI 150 and am planning to do the following mods:

*Panel filter
*Universal intercooler and full hard piping
*EGR delete
*Full milltek system including decat
*Custom remap

Would does anyone think would be the expected BHP and torque after these? Im hoping for 200+ bhp and 300+ lb ft torque? Are they realistic figures and has someone got a PD 150 with similar mods to show their bhp and torque?

Also should there be anything else I should do at this stage to compliment the mods, nothing major like injectors or hybrid yet though!!

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
similar specs to mine - I have standard I/C and pipe work with EGR and I have 200bhp

this was the rolling road last year on standard clutch

Maximum Power - Wheels 170.4 bhp @ 3961rpm
Maximum Power - Eninge 199.0 bhp @ 4226rpm
Maximum Torque 289.4 lbft @ 2,864rpm

you will need a clutch!!!

Last edited:

leonfrtdi150

Thats good to hear without the EGR delete and different intercooler your still running a strong 200bhp and almost 300 ft lb of torque. Im hoping for between 200bhp and 210bhp. How long after you had yours mapped did you need a clutch?

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Agree with gac re: panel filters. The guy who runs this site:

http://www.autospeed.com/

:has carried out many measurements of pressure drops in various parts of car induction systems and almost always finds that the major reduction is not the filter but other parts of the system, e.g: the inlet snorkel into the airbox or the offtake from the airbox itself. The filter alone usually makes naff-all difference to power.

Factor in the cost of an upgraded clutch and possibly SMF also, as I've just found out the hard way that the cost of my mild (170hp) remap (£250) will be outweighed three- to four-fold by the cost of an uprated clutch, flywheel and labour to fit:censored:

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
Hi All,

I have a Leon FR TDI 150 and am planning to do the following mods:

*Panel filter
*Universal intercooler and full hard piping
*EGR delete
*Full milltek system including decat
*Custom remap

Would does anyone think would be the expected BHP and torque after these? Im hoping for 200+ bhp and 300+ lb ft torque? Are they realistic figures and has someone got a PD 150 with similar mods to show their bhp and torque?

Also should there be anything else I should do at this stage to compliment the mods, nothing major like injectors or hybrid yet though!!

panel filters from green etc won't hurt, but won't do a hell of alot.
the 150 intercooler is massive and doesn't need to be changed.
doing hard pipes can be a pain in the arse. I'd leave alone if you dont have leeks.
I had a full milltek and was pleased.

realistically a 150 with above will only just get into the 190s. A stock turbo simply cant flow enough for 200+. This is well documented across europe. Obviously some dynos will say otherwise. You'll get high 200s for torque too. Only hybrids can push 300+ Again I don't mean to upset people but the stock unit will run out of puff. Dyno lottery and all.

Either way it will become bloody quick for a deisel!

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
i ran a panel filter (kn), enclosed (bmc), and an open cone (jetex) for almost 70k! no problems.
the worst that can happen is a damaged maf.

there would need to be a serious amount of dirty air to do that, and if it was that bad the maf would die well before that anyway.

I've never heard of a performance filter damaging a turbo. There must be thousands of people on this forum alone using them.

You might get a problem with a cheap hong kong special, but you will not with any good brands. Makes you wonder why tuners use them then (even for their own cars).

The real debate is if they give any performance gains for a tdi.

Last edited:

4937Liam

Jan 12, 2010
Lakenheath, Suffolk.
On my PD150 I have:

AmD Custom re-map
Full Milltek system (including decat)
Pipercross Panal filter

Running about 191bhp 289 lb ft of torque.

Standard clutch is dying fast but this is inevitable.

Liam.

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
Guess we will have to agree to disagree. That damage was not due to a airfilter. Think about it, the turbo sucks in far more harmfull materials, such as oil from the return crank case breather! Not the microns of air through a tried and tested filter. Blimey how come everyone else is fine?

Last edited:

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
The oil vapour is far more dense than microns of air. Anyway both are fine hence the amount of people running performance filters. Simply doesn't hurt. Where are you driving? Chernobyl?

Anywho.. Sorry for going off topic from the original post! :)

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The most likely cause of that fault on the skoda turbo is overheating of the impellar blades which has lead the material to become brittle and begin to fall apart, that coupled with possible poor oil feed/faulty bearing would show the same symptoms. The particles have probably then entered the engine and been burned off.

The impellar material is extremely soft and easily damaged when hot.

leonfrtdi150

panel filters from green etc won't hurt, but won't do a hell of alot.
the 150 intercooler is massive and doesn't need to be changed.
doing hard pipes can be a pain in the arse. I'd leave alone if you dont have leeks.
I had a full milltek and was pleased.

realistically a 150 with above will only just get into the 190s. A stock turbo simply cant flow enough for 200+. This is well documented across europe. Obviously some dynos will say otherwise. You'll get high 200s for torque too. Only hybrids can push 300+ Again I don't mean to upset people but the stock unit will run out of puff. Dyno lottery and all.

Either way it will become bloody quick for a deisel!

Thanks for all the comments, been interesting reading them. I got a pipercross panel filter off my friend who had a 1.9TDI 130 A3 and had only used it for around 1000 miles and sold it to me for £10. Didn't think that would really make much difference but didn't think it could do any harm either.

In terms of doing the hard piping for the intercooler, I can hear a louder whistling (not just the sound of the turbo) and I think it might be coming from one of the joints in the pipework so I wonder if im loosing boost somewhere so im hoping to resolve that.... even though I don't feel any significant loss of power.

The standard 150 intercooler is quite big but also very thin and I believe sat behind the air con radiator? Surely having one right in the front will help keep intake temperatures down and preserve the life of the turbo even if the increase in power isn't much? It is also then having the car ready for if it has a hybrid fitted in the future as I assume for that a larger FMIC is recommended?

leonfrtdi150

Thats some very good power figures. I have decided to go ahead with the intercooler as the cost of the kit, egr delete and fitting (as I have a friend who is a mechanic) is going to be less than half what a forge intercooler would cost. Will post up some pictures once I get to 15 posts to see what everyone thinks. Haven't been able to feel a difference yet as blew one of the boost pipes off so getting some silicone reducers and proper T clamps.

leonfrtdi150

What intercooler you using?

I'm using a 2.5" universal intercooler and pipework from Ebay, dimensions (core) 550mm x 140mm x 62mm, length 690mm.

I can't attach any pictures yet as i've just passed 15 posts tonight but will attach pictures when that has been amended. A picture from the front is shown in my avatar.

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
if it was me id use the one the 150 came with. rather than trust a ebay 199 jobbie. ( but thats just me) the 150 cooler is big (same size as the rad). the only thing you will gain is better connections. no power gains.

leonfrtdi150

if it was me id use the one the 150 came with. rather than trust a ebay 199 jobbie. ( but thats just me) the 150 cooler is big (same size as the rad). the only thing you will gain is better connections. no power gains.

Yeah thats fair enough, its a Toyosports intercooler with universal pipework (as they do a kit for the 130 but not 150 currently). I'm hoping it will cure a possible boost leak (as I can hear the turbo whistle more than it should and looked at posts on here and a boost leak from one of the connections is a possible cause) and I also love the way it looks. I'm not expecting much power gain to be honest. Got it to look better, get rid of the rubber pipes, get better joints and hear the turbo whistle a bit more.

Here are some pictures of the build:

Stock
DSC_0287.jpg

Intercooler mounted
DSC_0290.jpg

Intercooler pipework connected
DSC_0291.jpg

EGR Delete pipe on
DSC_0292.jpg

Final look with bumper attached
DSC_0303.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.