James' LCR - 2008cc Stroker HTA GT3071r! - Tuned @ Badger5

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Had my shipping details confirmed, should have all my bits in the morning. Finished stripping everything down last night for access. Removed the bumper, intercooler, rad, all cables, AC pipework etc etc. Got full access to the front of the car going to drop the DP, Mani & turbo off then will drag the engine out.

Will take some photo's at lunch as it was dark last night :D

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Had my shipping details confirmed, should have all my bits in the morning. Finished stripping everything down last night for access. Removed the bumper, intercooler, rad, all cables, AC pipework etc etc. Got full access to the front of the car going to drop the DP, Mani & turbo off then will drag the engine out.

Will take some photo's at lunch as it was dark last night :D

Good stuff mate, let the fun begin :D

I had a nightmare taking off the turbo on mine in the end i abandoned it and just dropped the down pipe off and pulled the engine out with the turbo in place.
It's much easier doing it on a stand, than fiddling around with all the coolant / oil lines etc....

Get some piccy's up mate, oh and when you get the engine out can you look at the cast block part number (not the stamped engine number!!), its on the back side of the block nearest to the steering rack...(im just interested to know if the BAM has the same casting as the rest of the 06a's)

Cheers & Good luck mate.

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Good stuff mate, let the fun begin :D

I had a nightmare taking off the turbo on mine in the end i abandoned it and just dropped the down pipe off and pulled the engine out with the turbo in place.
It's much easier doing it on a stand, than fiddling around with all the coolant / oil lines etc....

Get some piccy's up mate, oh and when you get the engine out can you look at the cast block part number (not the stamped engine number!!), its on the back side of the block nearest to the steering rack...(im just interested to know if the BAM has the same casting as the rest of the 06a's)

Cheers & Good luck mate.

I'm thinking about dropping the downpipe and doing it the way you have suggested, not sure how easy it's going to be to drop the downpipe off from above or if I will need to do it from below (probably the later).

I'm going home for lunch @ 12 so will take some photo's then, made a bit of a mess of it last night coolant didn't seem to want to stop coming out, must of drained of 3.5 litres of it.

I'm looking forward to the build, and especially the turbo coming tomorrow :D

Last edited:

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Yeh mate doing stuff like this is a cracking way to know your car inside and out, and you'll be able to stand back and say i done that !!!

Thinking of the down pipe, i had to wiggle the engine off the down pipe due to the studs on the turbo, if your planning on selling the k04 stuff and down pipe it may pay you to get the car up on axle stands and remove the front part of the exhaust..... it'll have to come of anyway to make way for the "girth" of a 3"er :D

I was like a kid a christmas when i knew my turbo was on its way !!!! i couldn't stop looking at it :D:D.......... i may have a problem :confused:

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Yeh mate doing stuff like this is a cracking way to know your car inside and out, and you'll be able to stand back and say i done that !!!

Thinking of the down pipe, i had to wiggle the engine off the down pipe due to the studs on the turbo, if your planning on selling the k04 stuff and down pipe it may pay you to get the car up on axle stands and remove the front part of the exhaust..... it'll have to come of anyway to make way for the "girth" of a 3"er :D

I was like a kid a christmas when i knew my turbo was on its way !!!! i couldn't stop looking at it :D:D.......... i may have a problem :confused:

Yer I will get it off as cleanly as possible, will probably sell the K04 parts as i'm sure someone will be looking to upgrade from a K03 car or possibly use it for a hybrid.

Girth is good :D :lol:

I think I might have the same "disease" I can't seem to help looking at things even though I know they wouldn't have changed since the last time I looked.

Edit: Just checked my tracking and it is on the connecting flight from the US to the UK. :D:D:D

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
0f7cb14a.jpg

As promissed here is a pic of the work in progress, looks a bit messy but what car doesn't that is in bits unless you have OCD :D

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Been out there again this eve, remove inlet mani, injectors, loom from connectors, still got to tackle the down pipe turbo etc, not sure now if I'm going to unbolt the turbo from the mani or turbo from down pipe, the 3 bolts of the mani look like easier access than the down pipe?

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Managed to get a full day working on the car today, stripped everything down unbolted etc. I didn't realise just how many electrical connectors there are in the engine bay, marked them all up just in case although it should be pretty obvious which goes where when putting it back together.
15a8f8e3.jpg

Not going to get any time on it tomorrow for obvious reasons so going to try and spend boxing day stripping all the auxiliary pumps, alternator etc from the car then work on stripping the block and head.

Oh, had a little delivery the other day
HTA GT3071r with Billet wheel, Tial turbine housing .82A/R, 3" compressor inlet
7a727801.jpg

4c1df41e.jpg

DM Forged I beam connecting rods
373854aa.jpg

Drilled from big end to wrist pin to aid lubrication,
df2654fa.jpg

Got plenty of other stuff too, just haven't taken photos yet, will get them up soon.

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Spent another day stripping all the ancillary parts from the engine today, managed to round a manifold nut and can't get it off for love nor money? FFS!

Engine is being taken up to JNL racing tomorrow for all the engine work to be completed, hopefully i can get him to weld a socket onto the nut and take it off with ease, not the ideal situation but am a bit stumped.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.