Bkd tuning. Hybrid, Decat, clutch etc.

tommy-d

Hi all, the time has came where i have saved a substantial amount of wongo to upgrade my Seat leon, 2.0 tdi BKD. My budget is about £3000 maybe just over,

I was Wanting a little more poke and RELIABILITY.

two option's really:

Stage 2 hybrid turbo, SMF with racing clutch, Fratelli Bosio RACE 1287+ PD Injector Nozzles, bigger downpipe with decat and egr delete along with remap.

or

Stage 1 hybrid turbo, SMF Racing clutch assembly, Bigger Downpipe with decat and egr delete.

What type of BHP Should i expect from these upgrade's? i could imagine the engine being reliable with the stage 1 turbo setup, although have heard a few rumour's with gearbox issue's

Much help would be appreciated

Regards Tom

tommy-d

Hmmm this is an option, obviously fitting one of these would enable for a bigger turbo to be fitted rather than that of a bolt on. Some figures say 300 bhp :-O surely this is a lot of power for a engine that is designed to produce 140 :-S, my main concern is getting as much reliable power out of the car as possible. It's currently running at 185bhp with standard set up and remap, it's popped a turbo in the past and is causing egr pipes to leak.

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Some figures say 300 bhp :-O surely this is a lot of power for a engine that is designed to produce 140 :-S, my main concern is getting as much reliable power out of the car as possible.

Hi Tommy,

Your engine wasn't 'designed' to do 140 BHP, your car was, i.e. that's the figure they pinned it down to various restrictions were placed on it, for longer service intervals and emissions, etc - they built a lot of slack in which can be unleased with tuning the ECU (as you have found), and also mechanically with the exhaust and using a larger turbo.

The engine itself will withstand upto 300 BHP only if you do other mods to it too.

With a GTB1756VK kit including exhaust and using racing injectors, you could get safe and reliable power around 220 BHP. Using a GTB2260VK would get you more power, but also give you a bit of turbo lag as that turbo kicks in a bit higher up the rev range.

Last edited:

tommy-d

I've further looked into the Range of turbo's that would be available for a Bkd 2.0 Tdi engine, The gtb2260Vk is a popular mod and can be fitted with alterations to the current manifold or a custom built manifold.

The GTB2260Vk is featured on alot of audi Q7 3.0 tdi's and touraberg's although there is another turbo that is used on these car's and it's known as a "KKK"?? does anyone know the difference between the GTB and KKK turbo's?

Much appreciated Tom

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
KKK's may as well be made from cheese. The Garrett GTB series are the turbos to have at the moment. On a standard 2.0l bkd, all you would need engine wise, is turbo+manifold, injectors, better intercooler and pipework, uprated clutch+flywheel and a remap to see 300bhp. Problem is, you need a good base chassis to run this sort of power.

Darksside run this setup on their Jetta at the moment (also BKD) and have had issues other than snapping a driveshaft at Santa Pod. They have covered a a fair few miles already too (20k springs to mind).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members