soapy water for slipping clutch trick.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
As per my other thread im pretty sure by the symptoms and answers i have got my clutch has started to slip grrr [:@] but before i fork out for a new clutch im wanting to try the soapy water trick to flush the clutch threw (worth a try i guess) i understand you enter it threw an inspection hole on top of the gear box, was just wondering if anybody could give me a detailed explenation of where abouts the hole is and what it looks like! A picture would be even better.

Thanks in advance.

David.

nick s

256bhp & 282lbs/ft
Dec 9, 2005
mine slipped for about a week when i got my K03s but only when the car was cold. is it still doing it even after about 15 minutes of driving?

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Yup last night id been on a steady drive for about 30minutes, then went for abit of a sprited drive, wouldnt boost over 16si in 2nd then when planted in 5th boosted fine but with what sounds like to be the clutch slipping! Sounds like its wheelspiining but without the spining!

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
To confirm, if i pour water down it, id still slipping the clucth is gone?
mines slipping in 3rd gear onweards when i hit 3k on load....

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
How is it actually done? (I have a Leon Mk1, but still a 1.8T. 6 speed 02M gearbox)

Is the inspection hole (for setting the timing on the flywheel) used to pour the water (with a small hand pump)? And is there a hole on the underside to leak out?

I think I may have a bit of slipping sometimes. The car and clutch are ~7 years old, ~51500 miles.

If there is contamination on the plates, would the soapy water remove it, allow for better clutch operation and prevent future damage? (Like changing the brake fluid when it picks up dirt and becomes dark in color?)

Thank you,

~Nautilus

Last edited:

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
OK. So instead of water, should try a "(clutch and) brake cleaner" spray.

Is there a drainage hole on the bottom of the clutch housing? (It should be, to let drain whatever mud or water should come in while driving through a puddle.)

~Nautilus

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Reasons I think it may need this sort of "rinse":

- There is a sort of slipping when the clutch is trashed to the limit (like WOT and 1.5 bar when running 30mph in 4th gear on a long and mild incline), but otherwise 0-60 time is "close to normality", clutch runs normally and bites at halfway pedal travel, car launches with customary slipping of the wheels instead of slipping the clutch. This sounds less like "wearing out" and more like "oily goo and clutch-lining-dust contamination";

- I have serious reasons to believe there is "enough filth to scare a homeless beggar away" inside the bell housing - had a trickle of coolant (from the coolant flange which is just above the engine to clutch joint) which ran for almost an entire year continuously, ran the same clutch for almost 7 years, and there was also some oil seepage from cam cover some time ago.

~Nautilus

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
After doing both cleaner spray and soapy water, tested the clutch the old school way:

- tried to move the car from a standstill in 3rd gear - it stalls;
- tried to move the car from a standstill in 3rd gear while releasing gradually the clutch and applying throttle - moves a bit, judders when clutch is fully released and stalls;
- tried to release the clutch in 4th while holding handbrake - engine stalls regardless of throttle.

It still bites halfway to three-quarter way of pedal travel and, like it did throughout the last 7 years, car moves best and smoothest from a standstill when clutch is released quickly and judders when trying to slip it. In fact, the smoothest gear change happens only by "dumping" the clutch with moderate rpms and little or no boost.

Clutch may slip under full torque and if thrashed to the limit of common sense in wrong gear, but as long as there is no classic symptom of clutch failing, there is no way to be sure (from outside) it slipped before and does no longer do it after both "tricks".

~Nautilus

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
OK. So instead of water, should try a "(clutch and) brake cleaner" spray.

Is there a drainage hole on the bottom of the clutch housing? (It should be, to let drain whatever mud or water should come in while driving through a puddle.)

~Nautilus

Yes there is, you can touch the back of the flywheel from underneath. :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.