IHI twin scroll build, Mani finished at last! New problems to sort.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
yea, they work now.. weird.. (just saw the tags
then..
bizarre computer thingys

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Right, hi everybody. though i would give you all a bit of an update.

On the plus side of things the mani is all finished, welded, flange milled, etc.
Bill will be pleased to know it missed the rear engine mount on the first trial fit and there is enough room for the DP and dumptube down there as well, lol.
The only small tweek it needed was the turbo flange tilting forward a bit more to move the turbo away form the bulkhead a little more, so all in all its not been to much of a job to do and the finished item only stands me at 200 quid so cant complain (well that and a shed load of my boyfriends spare time :p)
DSC00069.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00070.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00072.jpg
[/IMG]
Flanged was milled post welding to get any deflection out of it.
DSC00073.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00077.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00074.jpg
[/IMG]
Example of welding, fully purged throught all welding.

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
And on the down side of things, the head was removed ready to fit the IE rods i have, the plan was quick skim, head back on then turbo etc on get it running, and in the mean time start building a 2.1-2 lump with head to suit (supertech throught , etc) but this is what we found on removing the head :(.
DSC00063.jpg
[/IMG]
One cracked exhaust valve on cylinder 2.
DSC00066.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00067.jpg
[/IMG]
And all 4 spark plugs are missing small bits of ceramic (not that clear in pictures but you get the idea)
And just incase anybody noitices the oil wetness in the pics it not a problem with the engine it were i put the head on its side and oil ran everywhere, :rolleyes:.

So my main concern with this is the cause of it, to much heat i'm guessing is the main factor but is it from a possible mapping issue bearing in mind the car was only running a K03 so should not push stock valves etc to the limit?

And then there is the question of what do i do to sort it, i have both small (AYP) and large (ADR) port heads sitting here so i could do an all out build with supertech etc on either of thoses but not sure wich one will best suit the car (large port "V" small port) bearing in mind its intended use a a 1/4 mile toy?
Or i could just replace the one (or the full set of exhaust valves maybe?) valve with another stock one and hope its last untill the 2l lump is sorted but that could be well over 12 months or more?

Any thoughs or comments, advice etc much appreciated people! :)

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Hi, no nothing that looked out of the ordinery, no marks on crowns from ceramic damage or on bores. '
Guessing the use of the WOT box didnt help things though as it did shoot some fairly large flames out of the back and sound like a shot gun going off in the car :whistle:.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
wot box and that damage would be my guess on ceramic failures..

you did'nt mention what make of plugs?

lovely looking fabrication on the manifold.. nice work :thumbup:

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Thanks Bill, plugs are Bosch Supers iirc not your old favorits Denso for a change, lol
Cant remember the exact Bosch part number i'll have a look sometime.

What you make of the cracked valve Bill, probable same cause as the plugs or a diffrent underlying problem maybe?

Also whats you opinion on the large port 'V' small port debate in relation to my intended use for the car, from my own reading on here, vortex etc i am swaying towards large port, as it seems silly to spend hundreds on porting the small port only for it to flow almost equal to a stock large port, i see some people say that a ported small port is a smoother/ easier drive but its not a road car as such so i'm not that bothered if it has the odd bad habit, i just need it to go like feck in a straight line :D.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
largeport every day for me.. for increased flow, presuming the turbo can pump flow.

cracked valve is overheat/det, so I would be looking at ign advance personally..

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
what happened with this then, any more info on the car?? that manifold is a stunning bit of work!

Hi, basically what's happens is not a lot, unfortunately due to moving house my otherhalfs work commitments and a few other things it's not yet finished. I have been accumulating parts as and when they come up at the right price with a view of finishing it some time in the future.
However I am considering selling my facelift Leon FRcr to fund a B7 RS4 so funds may get directed in to that for the time being, I have no plans of selling/breaking it it's always been a weekend toy used as and when it's running so if it's sitting here for a few more months then I'm not to concerned.
On the plus side I have managed to track down a few hybrid turbos based on my selected frame but with stronger garrett bits used, the biggest one claiming 450bhp+ so that could be of intereste.

Tasha:)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members