Funny after starting

tdi sport

Apr 13, 2008
Hi all

Last night i was going to work so sat in my car and started it up swithched on the head lights and turned on the interior light (as i was looking for somthing) just as i did my phone
rang so i took the call while leaving the engine running idle the call lasted about 2 minutes during this time i hadnt touched anything lights accelerator etc. as i hung up the phone nearly every light on the dash board lit up and it started beeping and the head lights went off so i reveved it a bit head lights came back on beeping stoped but power steering light stayed on and there was no power in the steering so i reveved it a bit more and still no power steering. so i switched the ignition off then went to start it again and nothing happened it started turning over like the battery was dead so as i was getting late for work i locked the car and took a loan of a family members car for work. the next morning i was expecting a dead battery but i jumped straight in the car it started first time with no warning lights and i had full power in the steering. i put this down to the micro switch not working in the driver side door maybe confusing the ecu or somthing so tonight i opened the car got in the passanger door started the car put on the head lights etc and the interior light and done nothing else and same as the other night the same thing happened all dash warning lights beeps and no power steering except this time i didnt switch it off i drove for a couple of mile then switched it off and started it again immediatly and when i started it everything worked fine. sorry for the long post but has anyone else had this problem or is my ecu on its way out????? cheers guys

P.S I have A 2004 mk4 ibiza 1.9 tdi sport pd 130

Last edited:

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
if you dont bring the revs up and just leave on idle the alternator doesnt energise so you will just use your battery life up
electric fuel pump 8 amps
headlights 50 amps
pas pump 10 amps
interior lights 6 amps
and so on
flat battery in no time

tdi sport

Apr 13, 2008
So if I just give it a quick rev on start up it will be enough to stop this happening
Again. At least it is normal thought it was gonna cost a fortune to sort thanks a lot for the reply.

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
if you dont bring the revs up and just leave on idle the alternator doesnt energise so you will just use your battery life up
electric fuel pump 8 amps
headlights 50 amps
pas pump 10 amps
interior lights 6 amps
and so on
flat battery in no time

Interior light will be more like 1.5A
Headlights 15A
PAS only draws current when turning the steering wheel

tdi sport

Apr 13, 2008
i always thought that the alternator automaticly kicked in as soon as the engine was started. wonder why it doesnt?? anyone know?

Last edited:

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
i always thought that the alternator automaticly kicked in as soon as the engine was started. wonder why it doesnt?? anyone know?

It does but if the load signal wire has snapped which it sounds like it has it doesnt kick in until you rev it past 2k for the first time.

tdi sport

Apr 13, 2008
just checked the dash there when i turn the ignition on there is no battery light illuminated so it must be
the broken cable that everyone is talking about i will check it tomorrow if the rain has stopped

philje123

Chug chug
Jul 5, 2011
York
Sounds like it definitely is that wire!

I had similar problems and had no battery light showing.

Both the wires were broken so I fixed them and all is good now.

While you're at it check all the earthing points etc as these can cause similar problems.

Phil

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise