Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Oversize throttle bodies are overkill at this level of power, I've made over 600bhp on a 60mm tb and over 700 on a 65mm tb.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
I hear yah... based on some of the testing we have done and what I have built the car for I can't see me changing from the std TB anytime soon tbh...

Just seems to run better on it...

<tuffty/>

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Oversize throttle bodies are overkill at this level of power, I've made over 600bhp on a 60mm tb and over 700 on a 65mm tb.

Doesnt mean that you wont make anything extra from a bigger throttle body tho. Just means you can make it on the standard size body.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
You won't make anymore power or perhaps 1 or 2 bhp! What is the compressor outlet on the turbo and intercooler piping sizing? have a think.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
You guys..... meanwhile back at the Badger Cave..... ;)

Minor update... had the front tracking checked this morning as I noticed my low mileage front tyres had worn badly on the outside edge... was toeing in a bit so thats now sorted...

Grabbed a bit of time during lunch to fit my TFSI coil packs... (07K 905 715 F)

They are longer than 20v coils with a slightly thicker top too...
IMG_4405.jpg

I re-gapped the plugs to 0.85mm... 0.5mm more than std and 0.15mm more than the 0.7mm I normally do for remapped engines... everywhere I read suggest using a gap of 1mm... I haven't for a couple of reasons... 1).. I wasn't running the car on the dyno to see what worked and what didn't and 2)... I need to put the std packs back in for when I take the car over to get them changed under the recent recall... so I played it safe until I have got my new packs and get the car back on the dyno...

Anyhoo... you can see the difference in height between the TFSI and 20v coils here...
IMG_4408.jpg

...and all fitted...
IMG_4410.jpg

Now I know the more eagle eyed ones of you will have noticed I am not using adaptors... a couple of reasons for this... they aren't ready yet... and I noticed when fitting mine that the coil leans over towards the back of the engine...
IMG_4414.jpg

Not sure why but they all do it... it may be because of the position of the cam cover... i.e. there could be some movement on the studs and I have it too far forward or something... I don't know but they are in pretty solid... not having seen a set of adaptors from A N Other manufacturer in the flesh then I don't know how loose a fit they are as you can see clearly that the rubber seal is in the cam cover hole so is holding the coil in but the little tangs either side (20v coils have a single one) are proud of the hole so the coil 'could' rotate... what this is like on the other variations of TFSI coil pack I don't know but I think I will see what can be done to counter this issue with the adaptors Bill is looking into..

So... seeing as I haven't run the car on the dyno I can't give any info on any power improvements (if there are indeed any to be had) but I can say that the engine certainly feels smoother on idle and part throttle feel is improved... I have also done a couple of stabs at full throttle and no misfires...

I would say that this and the earth mods I have done have certainly improved the feel of the engine on idle and general drivability under no load conditions... how much of an affect it has had in terms of power I don't know... I will of course try and sort some comparisons out when I get a chance but I still have some tweaks to do to the mapping (as neither of us have had time to do anything more with it) and I still have a coolant leak to find/fix...

This mod is also supposed to improve fuel economy too... will see how that goes but not promising anything LOL!!....

One last update... after the agro I have had with some prize tw@t on eBay over the AEB manifold I bought before Christmas I ended up buying another from eBay and it arrived this week... w00t!
AEB_Inlet.jpg

...so at some point I will be looking at making an inlet manifold...

Next on the cards will be relocating the battery to the boot, fitting the WMI (finally) and reworking the charge pipes as I am not happy with them currently... not sure exactly what I am going to do but once the battery is out the way I will decide then...

I also plan to replace the coil pack wiring loom too... this can be bought quite cheaply and seeing as most of my plugs are broken and I 'repaired' the cracked loom a couple of years ago it makes sense to do...

<tuffty/>

Last edited:

rsrich

Aug 23, 2006
www.turnpikeracing.co.uk
Wr now have the same TFSi coils in the TT, very pleased with results so far. On the dyno we ran them with 1mm gaps and no hint of misfire at all - subsequently reduced the gap to 0.85 to give some margin, as we wanted to be sure we had no race issues.
To locate ours we cut the ribbed rubbers off some old 20V coils and slid them onto the new ones, that located them into the cover very nicely, and been no problem since.
From the experience we've had with various coils, these do seem to be the way forward :D

rsrich

Aug 23, 2006
www.turnpikeracing.co.uk
adapter rings would of course be the "professional" and best solution, and look pretty too :D but we are famously skinflints if there's a cheap way, and we don't look pretty at the best of times ;) Merry Christmas :D

Last edited:

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Little update as I haven't really been up to much on my car for a while....

Mapping is going fine... I have a map on there now thats dialled fuelling wise and currently running my MBC on its own running at 1.5bar to see what comes up fault code wise and how the map handles the measured boost... so far all is good and happy with the way the car drives... I haven't had a chance to get on the dyno yet for various reasons but plan to do so once the dyno is free for an afternoon or two...

Other stuff planned... battery relocation to the boot... this is so I can have a bit more freedom over charge pipe placement and free up some room for when I go larger on the TIP (either 89mm or 100mm depending what I can fit in there) and still keep the covers for the battery and air box for the OEM look...

Battery relocation stuff... battery tray, 50mm cable and junction boxes...
CRW_4458.jpg

One of the reasons I haven't been on the dyno yet is I have a small coolant leak from a hose that only appears when the car is being given hell... I have been waiting for Forge to take delivery of some sets of coolant hoses they have put together as a kit for the S3 and they arrived the other day (big thanks to Kris and Jamie...)
CRW_4459.jpg

As you can see its a pretty comprehensive kit and I'll be writing that up in a separate thread so it can be bunged in the stickies...

Thats it for now, need to find some time to crack on and get this little lot sorted and I can then crack on and get this stage of the mapping done... already maxed the MAF at 292.58gs so will be needing a larger one either an S4 one (good for 420hp) or an RS4 one (500+ hp)

I have not put any timing in either plus I have still to fit WMI (for consistency rather than power)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Found a bit of time inbetween jobs today to prep the AEB runners for making a larger inlet manifold..

It started life as...
AEB_Inlet.jpg

Cut the runners off (roughly as they will need trimming when I offer it all up in the engine bay)... I also flushed the cast marks on the runners and removed the spare boss for a brace or something on the AEB...
CameraZOOM-20120513143354898.jpg

...close up...
CameraZOOM-20120513143336430.jpg

I am getting the runners blasted to clean them up and I have trimmed the plate ready for the runners holes etc...

I have some time off soon to get a load of jobs sorted... doubt I will have the inlet done just yet but battery relocation and coolant pipes will get done and will get some time on the dyno to do some more work on my mapping...

Flashed a new map in today as I have made some changes to smooth out the idle and dial the injectors in a bit better... seems to have worked :)

<tuffty/>

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Great updates Tuffty. Your coolant hoses look smart.
I'm looking forward to the Tuffty SEM intake ;).
Mapping sounds good, nice to hear your honing your craft configuring the software. The next RR session should be interesting.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Decided to take advantage of the nicer weather and longer evenings this week and make a start on doing some stuff to the car thats long overdue...

I have a coolant leak and Forge have been kind enough to supply me with a hose kit they are developing for the S3 based on the current one they do for the TT.. doing all these hose meant taking most of the bay apart to allow easier access especially as I have a few extra bits in the way... I also took the opportunity to offer up the AEB runners I have for the inlet manifold I am fabricating and see where everything is going to end up...
CRW_4459.jpg

Engine bay emptied... also removed the alternator and belt tensioner as I believe it to be causing my flat battery issues and the tensioner is making an odd noise due to the proximity of the coolant leak...
CRW_4467.jpg

AEB runners test fitted... will grab the plenum from Bills tomorrow to mark where the back plate will go and I can trim the runners and cut the holes out the plate ready for welding... I turned the dipstick tube around so that it sticks up more upright and should sit nicely between the runners...
CRW_4473.jpg

The hose that was leaking was the one going to the bottom of the expansion tank...
CRW_4476.jpg

...sat next to the Forge replacement...
CRW_4478.jpg

Tomorrow evening I plan to drain the coolant and start replacing the hoses... there are two hoses I know aren't in the set Forge gave me so will let them know in case they have left them out by mistake or just not made them yet... not sure... there are also a couple of extras I am not sure about either but then thats kinda the point of this exercise :)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Quick update...

Seeing as I am all up in the OEM look I have been seriously tearing my hair out (whats left of it) to work out how the hell I can make a rather large fabricated inlet manifold look OEM... so... made a desicion that I would smooth it and colour code the charge pipe, cam cover and inlet manifold so that it is more OEM++ than my normal OEM+...

I bought some Simoniz wheel paint ages ago to refurb either my TTRS's or the spare set of Avus I bought as winters that I have now sold to the wheel/tire ***** Prawn... Thought I would start small just to see what it would it looks like and prepped one of the charge pipe clamps...

CRW_4479.jpg

CRW_4480.jpg

CRW_4481.jpg

Doesn't look too bad colour wise... it did go a bit dark at one point but seems to have settled ok... good few coats of lacquer too and nice and shiney... I know everyone will start saying I've copped out but tbh I am still going to retain the covers and it will take a second look to realise that somethings not quite right... :)

Plus I am fitting a huge intake for more power so waddya gonna do!!

Charge pipe is off... looks tatty compared so something had to be done really anyway... already modded for the turbo location and painted black...
CRW_4482.jpg

However... the join may look a little obvious once painted a lighter colour so I might grind and fill this bit to smooth it out...
CRW_4483.jpg

Off to remove hoses now :)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Busy evening... had to remove quite a bit in the end as it was easier to do with all the hoses out of the bay... so ended up with...

CRW_4491.jpg

CRW_4485.jpg

As you can see I ended up cutting the ends of the hoses as they had welded themselves on to the metal hard pipe... I have seen this before so was expecting it but what a ballache!!..
CRW_4486.jpg

Left a nice amount of rubber stuck the to stubs too...
CRW_4493.jpg

Which I cleaned up with a sharp knife and wet and dry...
CRW_4488.jpg

The OEM clips are a ******* to do without the right tool (which Bill has at the workshop) but managed to get them all off and the Forge hoses fitted
CRW_4497.jpg

CRW_4500.jpg

Will clearly look a bit better in the light and once the bay is back together and clean of course... couple of clips to do up, expansion bottle and the lower rad hose from the stat housing to do and that will be all done

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Warm day at the 'office'.... took the opportunity to OEM++ paint some more stuff...

First the DV...
CRW_4502.jpg

....turned out quite well...
CRW_4504.jpg

...and did the charge pipe and remaining clamp...
CRW_4505.jpg

CRW_4510.jpg

Finished off fitting the hoses too... large one from the bottom of the rad... still a c-unit to get off but brute strength and ignorance prevailed and got a nice G12 shower for my trouble too...
CRW_4516.jpg

Last hoses to go in were the one that goes to the bottom of the expansion tank (the leaky one) and the one to the top of the expansion tank...
CRW_4517.jpg

Will paint the throttle body and some point and the cam cover once blasted... might play with the inlet manifold a bit tomorrow if I get the time :)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Hot day again and far too hot to be hot to be cutting out and filing holes in the mani back plate but I did anyway... could have probably got them machined but where is the fun in that :)

Anyhoo... here are some pics of a test fitting for position.. was only a quick throw it on job as I was due out for a meal...

CRW_4518.jpg

CRW_4519.jpg

...and of course as its the OEM++ look...
CRW_4520.jpg

<tuffty/>