Help cupra clunk

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
Hi people I have a 07 plate Cupra 57k miles

The problem is..... A clunking sound pulling away in 1st gear . Then it goes.
Then when you turn on full lock to the right in a car park to turn it creeks!

Then if you drive down a road at 30mph swing the car to left and right(just like swerving threw cones ) it clunks.

I'm 99% sure it's not the drop link bars and using bar none of the bushes seem to give?
And engine mounts look fine?

It's had a in oct 11 Cambelt water pump,front disc ands pads with in the last 2 weeks..
This noise has started of faint and is getting worse at speed you don't notice it but between 10 mph & 40mph u can????

Help.......

Last edited:

MrFwibble

Aug 26, 2011
Scottish Borders
Just got mine in at the moment getting new track rods and track rod ends. Could be that for you?

If you jacked up the car you can feel play in the wheel.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I had similar noises in my old car. Issues included bolts on driveshafts coming slack, track rod ends and strut top mounts. I am sure I won't be anything sinister. Steering racks are known to go too, but those symptoms don't sound like it will be that.

ste-lfc

Jul 7, 2005
cheshire
I had this problem,got the subframe bolts changed for some newer revised ones at awesome and the noise stopped,cant remember exact part name/number but if you speak to awesome they have them in stock and only about £15

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
Took the Cupra to the garage today.... Clunking had got even worse.

I looked the ecs Tunning site and found the video on the subframe bolts coming loose...
And sure enough N/s front bolt under the front arm was loose....

Hence the knocking noise ..

The bolt in question was torque back up and problem solved...

So I'm happy and Cupra is now safe to drive like Rocket

Case closed... ;-)

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
After a day of driving. .... The car is fine had the bolt checked once more just to be sure....

All is fine...
I hope this post helps some of you. If you ever have this noise...

Thanks for the advice people ;-)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.