Winter tyres

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Well, fortunately I didn't swap back to summers, so went out last night for a try, no real issues, but roads were deserted so nothing to compare it to.. felt a little let down TBH.

This morning, the missus went to work at 7:30am, she went of up the hill out of our estate, slipped a bit and off she went.. not to bad. But to be fair the road looked like it was ok.

20 mins later looked out to see a neighbour trying to get out, stuck completely within 2 meters of his drive, took 4 people to push it up the hill.

Then I realised how much grip the winter tyres must have given the wife who had driven out fine. Whilst I sat in the warm. (previous years I'm out there digging out the snow and gritting the road so she can get to work.. not this year :D )

phantom1

bucks beast
Nov 8, 2010
buckinghamshire
Already tested my goodyear ultigrip winter tyres in 3 inches of snow and its awesome, minimal to no wheelspin, sliding or slipping, almost feels like im driving in normal conditions and im driving an lcr which ppl keep saying are meant to be crap in the snow:coolthumb

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Absolutley f*ck all here lol.

Although the winters have made a difference in the -5 mornings we've been having. The GF feels a lot happier in her car with them fitted.

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Driving home this morning at 7am and no problems at all. Most of the main roads were clear, but the side roads still gave me some feedback on the Kleber Quadraxers. Not bad IMO.

Fish

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Report:

Dunlop Wintersport 3D and Avon Ice Touring are great winter tyres, especially the Wintersport 3Ds (which I have on the front) :)

On my TDI in 2nd gear, I was able to pass around 20 cars who were all stuck going up a hill yesterday in the early evening snow....and that was on eBay 4.5mm part worns which cost me £65 for 4 tyres and £35 to fit them!

If I'd not had them on, I'd have been stuck there all night!

There's no doubt having winters on in the snow, etc, make a massive difference and I was loving it yesterday evening....I certainly got a few envious looks from other stranded motorists as I passed by :D

TIP: for added traction in bad snow/ice/mud conditions, let your tyres down a bit.

I did this today and got even better grip :)

Last edited:

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
I got the Dunlop 3D's around!!
Awesome tyres!!!

Yeah I researched it and they came out on top :)

I paid £30 for 2 with 4.5-5mm tread on, so great price for my fronts which saved me yesterday...hill after hill....as where I was it's covered with them!

Last edited:

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Yeah I researched it and they came out on top :)

Well apart from Wintersport 4D I mean :D

Has anyone tried them? They sound awesome!

@sjolliff - I had a look at my rears today and they just say AVON Ice Touring, so I'm wondering what the STs are like, or whether these are STs that I've got?

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
It's a bit impatient putting them back on now - I'm waiting until the temperature is 7 degrees or more day+night 24/7, not just for a day here and there.

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
cars really squirmy on the winters now :drive1::scary:

checked the weather forecast for the next 2 weeks, lowest temp is 2 degrees C....which will be in the middle of the night.

mine are coming off tomorrow morning! :D

Johnersh

Apr 13, 2011
it reached a balmy 18oC today. If I could do it this weekend, I probably would. I think the cold stuff is behind us. That said an extra week or so into early March would do no harm. They'll be off well before 31/3 though.

Was my first winter with proper tyres. I loved pulling out at junctions in the wet n'cold and driving uphill in the snowy stuff, but i'm also looking forward to restoring the alloys to the car!

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Never bothered with winters this years as I dont rely on my car.

However it has been above 10deg in north east scotland (surprisingly!) and heard a car come into a junction tonight which sounded like a severely flat tyre until I rexognised the number plate and I walked past it a few days ago and spotted the studded (well as much as your allowed) tyres. Wtf, ok maybe some winters but studs! Plus weve had **** all snow here, must feel a right idiot (fair enough up in the highlands etc but we live on the coast, driving in land is sometimes bad for a stretch but thats it) their handling must be shite in this dry roads

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Johnersh said:
Was my first winter with proper tyres. I loved pulling out at junctions in the wet n'cold and driving uphill in the snowy stuff

This made me smile, especially the bit about driving uphill :) It was my 1st winter too & I loved it on winters as well :1st:

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.