Front wiper problems.......

poppydoodlesdad

Feb 6, 2012
I'm having a few problems with the front wipers on my Altea. I've seen a few similar posts on the forum but not sure if I've got the same issue, maybe someone can help?

This morning there was snow on the and when I used the wipers got big clumps of snow between the blades and the A pillars. By the time I got to work the passenger side wiper was basically not working. It would twitch a bit but not make it all the way across the screen. Drivers side was fine as was rear.

When I got home and tried the wipers again NEITHER of the fronts were working and neither was the front WASHER (no sound of the pump working, nothing).

Called out the AA. Started the car, front drivers side works! AA turns up. Engine running - nothing works. Engine off, ignition on nothing works. He has a probe around and suggests that, as nothing is working, I've probably managed to burn out the motors and will need trip to the garage.

He gets in his van and drives away, I try the wipers and the drivers side and washer are now working and the passenger side remains parked! Back to square one!

Any ideas????

Thanks in advance

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
So far this week, I've not had a problem with snow building up in the wiper's hidey holes, but it is the most stupid design. No wonder this pedestrian saving idea wasn't carried over to the Leon.

I believe each arm has it's own motor, I'm sure somebody who lives in a place more prone to snow will advise, Klawit (?) might be your man for this.

poppydoodlesdad

Feb 6, 2012
Seem to have managed to fix the problem:D AA man couldn't suss out what the problem was but a bit of addition Internet research threw up some ideas, some suggestion that the wiper arms might simply be loose on the spindles (AA man reckon motor was burnt out!).

Tried the wipers and sure enough could see the spindle turning while the wiper just sat there. Examined the securing nut and it was down to just finger tight! OK, problem identified I thought. Trouble was when I tried them again later - nothing! Even the washer was now not working again:cry:

Fiddled about a bit, CLOSED THE BONNET and presto they worked! Hadn't even thought there may be some kind of safety cut-out that prevented wipers and washer from operating with the bonnet up. With this information in hand, took off dodgy wiper arm, put wipers in park position, re-atached wiper, tightened everything up, works fine [B)]

The two things I would take from this are - check if the motor is actually working before thinking about taking the car to the garage. After the AA had been I figured that was my only real option but I'm glad I thought to check. Secondly it was confusing and disconcerting when nothing worked with the bonnet up. It took a while before I managed to put two and two together and figure out what was happening. In the meantime I was just getting more confused and frustrated.

Hope this helps someone somewhere........

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members