rear washer not working .

neil72

Apr 30, 2006
durham
Right,tried cleaning jet with a pin,then a guitar string but no joy.Removed hatch trim to find a small amount of fliud leaking from the connector that fixes to the motor housing when trying to wash the rear window.
Unclipped the hose from this connector and a strong flow squirts out.
Priced a new motor £77+vat, but now noticed that the carpet behind pass seat is soaked with screen wash.
Is it possible that the washer pipe has split due to the blocked jet ,and how do you remove the plastic trim to gain access to the washer pipe to check it .
Or would a new rear motor ease the pressue if the pipe is split,making the leak more of a drip,if you know what I mean.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
You could remove the motor and dewiper the rear? Bung from Hellfrauds costs about £1.50 and cleans the back of the car up. You will be suprised just how little you use it? If you don't want to do that then the motor will need replacing. Not sure what plastic trim you mean? Could you take a picture and post it up?

neil72

Apr 30, 2006
durham
Def need the rear wiper at the minute,as its my daughters car and it somehow is filthy all the time.
The trim is the sort of arm rest bit in the back.
Since my first post I,ve had a quick look at it,got my hand behind the plastic trim,found the loom with washer pipe and its wet.
On a lupo forum it states that the washer pipe has a connector somewhere in the rear of the car.
Bearing in mind when I disconnected washer pipe from motor it had a steady stream of fluid,I don,t think that this connector in rear of car has come apart,more like when all connected with a blocked jet,the back pressure is making it leak at this connector.
Does that make sense ?
Next question,does the motor housing allow access to the spindle so I can try and unblock it from inside .
Thanks.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
When you open the tailgate there is a large odd but T shaped trim on the back of the tailgate. There will be 2 rectangular recesses that have 2 hex screws in. Remove these and then the panel will pop off as its only then held in with trim clips. You'll have full access to the motor then.

The hose has a connector at the top underneath the rubber seal, its directly above the motor at the top of the tailgate. It might have leaked from here which, is what happened to mine. Was a while ago I did mine. Will have a bit of a think.

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
its the traditional arosa/lupo traight of the washer motor imploding on itself, when you use the washer it just pours out of the two small vent holes on the black clip that holds the washer pipe on. i do believe that there is a repair kit for this though, somebody mentioned it a good few years back on CL but dont ask me who.

ps. im 99% cert the polo uses the same wiper motor as well, could be worth while prowling the scrappies?

neil72

Apr 30, 2006
durham
Thanks for the replies.Managed to get a motor from a scrappy for £10 but it was blocked just like on the car,but a good dose of acid sorted that out.Was surprised just how much crap came out of it,but it,s all clear now ,just need to fit it .

neil72

Apr 30, 2006
durham
Tried the motor today,dead,yet I had it working when it was bought.
Trying to be clever I tried putting the unblocked spindle on my motor,all seemed fine,connected everything up and tested it before fitting to the hatch .....washer spraying ,but water was still leaking from the motor pipe connector,and it got into the electrics,followed by burning and a bit smoke,and front wipers moving though not turned on.
Have unplugged rear motor and front wipers are now normal.
So,will a brand new rear motor solve this little electrical problem ,or could I have done more damage ? Lets hope its just the fried motor causing it.

ps, wish I,d just bought a new motor in the first place now,or bought a repair kit as mentioned .

neil72

Apr 30, 2006
durham
Cecked circuit board and its fried, and different to the board off a mk 1 motor,so no wonder it didn,t work when pugged in.
Oh well,a new motor is now definately needed.

mr.tt1987

Right,tried cleaning jet with a pin,then a guitar string but no joy.Removed hatch trim to find a small amount of fliud leaking from the connector that fixes to the motor housing when trying to wash the rear window.
Unclipped the hose from this connector and a strong flow squirts out.
Priced a new motor £77+vat, but now noticed that the carpet behind pass seat is soaked with screen wash.
Is it possible that the washer pipe has split due to the blocked jet ,and how do you remove the plastic trim to gain access to the washer pipe to check it .
Or would a new rear motor ease the pressue if the pipe is split,making the leak more of a drip,if you know what I mean.

I had a similar problem & have ended up removing it completely. You can buy a plug to fill the hole which makes it a very neat job. There are definitely issues with the motor/water pipe.

ngb

Hi
One thing is to bear in mind that the washer pipe has a connector that runs down the nearside of the vehicle with the wiring loom. So it could be that the system is clear and you are just not getting the fluid delivered all the way to the 'Squirter'

On inspection you will find that the connector is wrapped in sticky back grey foam. It is inside this foam.

This could be your problem as it was on my arosa 1.4 Align the two parts of the connector and click them back together. Then test the washer system.

These are known to come apart when pressure builds up caused by dirt ingress.

Mine packed up last week and i noticed that fluid was running out of the car somewhere behind the passenger seat. A good indication is damp or grey mould on the carpet.

You have to remove all the side plastic trims to get to the connector.
If you look at the rear seats the connector is in line level with the top of the rear nearside seat. Its behind that plastic trim. This explains why the fluid ran down behind the panel and out under the floor behind the passenger seat.
ps. mine is an mk2 arosa. cannot see it being much different on the mk1

You could have a block in there still pal, but its worth a try and eliminates at least on known fault with the arosa.

Last edited by a moderator:

ngb

Hi
One thing is to bear in mind that the washer pipe has a connector that runs down the nearside of the vehicle with the wiring loom. So it could be that the system is clear and you are just not getting the fluid delivered all the way to the 'Squirter'

On inspection you will find that the connector is wrapped in sticky back grey foam. It is inside this foam.

This could be your problem as it was on my arosa 1.4 Align the two parts of the connector and click them back together. Then test the washer system.

These are known to come apart when pressure builds up caused by dirt ingress.

Mine packed up last week and i noticed that fluid was running out of the car somewhere behind the passenger seat. A good indication is damp or grey mould on the carpet.

You have to remove all the side plastic trims to get to the connector.
If you look at the rear seats the connector is in line level with the top of the rear nearside seat. Its behind that plastic trim. This explains why the fluid ran down behind the panel and out under the floor behind the passenger seat.

You could have a block in there still pal, but its worth a try.mine is a mk2 arosa but the mk1 should be very similar

ngb

sorry pal, just realised your post says you had a strong jet with the pipe removed at the motor so that is the problem.
anyone else who has problems with the washer system can still use this as a reference.

i post on two different forums and got the two washer problem posts mixed up!!!!