A Rust Question

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
This doesnt neccessary apply to the mk4 but Seat in general so i might be in the wrong bit but anyways...

My 57 plate has started to develop a rusty line along the inside of where the door seal closes on the frame. (due to a previous leak im guessing)
My question is that iv heard of a Seat/VW etc rust garantee thing up to 10 years of the car age or something?

Does anyone know more on this? I would rather get this sorted sooner rather than later :confused:

Spooky211

Dec 13, 2010
Glasgow
I was going to ask a similar question, my 55 plates has rust appearing on both front wings. The car doesn't have a full Seat service history and i hear they can use that to get out of issuing warranty claims - Seat apparently check for rust while servicing...apparently being the operative word!

Stokie

Mk3 Leon Fr184
May 24, 2010
Stoke
05-plate mk4 ibiza (second owner)

I have a slight bit of rust appearing on the pillor on the inside of the door shut on passenger side (very very minor) touched it up for now to stop it

Mine has FSH so think il be contacting them soon if its the case that there garantee is 10years on rust :) i can bet its the case of you must be the 1st owner of the car)

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
To the OP... do you mean a bit of rust at the front edge of the sill, where the doors hinge open?

Mine has it too (52 reg). I've seen a lot of Mk4s doing it, some worse than others. Mine isn't too bad compared to some but it annoys me as I know it's there.

From what I'm told its caused by a bolt on the door hinge that goes rusty, and then begins to affect the surrounding part of the sill. I'd have thought using an aluminium bolt would solve the issue, as it wouldn't rust.

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
i have the full service history like and its booked in for the next service in a couple of weeks. Will need to ask to make sure then. And i will be pointing out the rust before hand!
Same place stokie eh, the whole drivers door :(

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
worse on the drivers side

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

passenger side starting

IMG_1098.jpg

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
In my experience trying to get rust sorted from the dealer they will probably say it was caused by roof bars.

They wouldnt repair a big bit of rust on my boot ! calling it a paint defect although you can see its bubbling from rust !

Lowe

Jan 8, 2012
Newcastle Under Lyme
I've got the inside b pillar rust spot starting. Took it to a dealer and they sent me to a body shop for their opinion. He took loads of measurements of the paint thickness, photos and told me he'd be in touch after speaking with Seat. That was 2 weeks ago lol.

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
That is not going to fly as a claim.
1. done lots of miles .. or over a lot of rough roads.. the door is probably moving relative to the bodyshell.
2. Not cleaned car/lived near sea or sand.. this has stuck on the seal and then rubbed paint off
3. Thin paint.. a good detailer could measure the paint thickness easily.

And putting an aluminium bolt in.. would just promote corrosion around it (see Cupra AP front calipers or Landrovers) .. or do you mean the Dacramet or zinc plated .. they are all silver coloured. TBH after 3years old you need to do a bit of work with rust proofer from Dinitrol.. I ended up doing a fair bit at that time including a lot of painting underneath with Jotun paint and rust proofers.

Apr 12, 2010
I had it where the door seals to the shell too, thin paint on the roof edge rubbed through over time. I rust treated it, touched it in and applied some clear vinyl. Should have sorted it I hope

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Looks like the door is possible out of allignment causing it to rub more than normal? Either way that's not good news the amount of rusty mk4s on here :(

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Ah, that rust at the top of the door won't get sorted by the dealer! Seems like the door is not aligned properly and is catching the paint when it closes.

Mine's rusting in the same areas as Kidinspace's car but it's not suffering anything like as badly! Something needs to be done there that area seems to go rusty on lots of Mk4s.

Stokie

Mk3 Leon Fr184
May 24, 2010
Stoke
How many of you full detail your cars using sealing with high quality wax.

Mine gets done twice a year by the pro's, once start off winter & then again start off spring, speaking off which its booked in march 25th to be done ready for summer

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
That bit at the top of the door is a join in the paint. They paint the shuts etc, then paint the outside seperately.

Mine has (had) the exact same join and problem

The bits inside with the B pillar - the plastic rubs the paint off due to bad fitting. I sanded down the rear of the b pillar so it doesn;t rub here.

They also rust at the top of the door next to the mirror cover and between the front wing and the sill. (I've not found a cure for these yet :lol:)

I can't help with wether Seat will offer any help, but I can feel your pain.

So much so, that I've decided to start stripping mine and repairing the rust myself since I'm fed up of bodyshops not caring

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.