Distant screeching noise, bit like a fan belt.

MisterMoleyMole

Apr 21, 2008
Hi all

Mr 2008 fr 170 has developed a noise. It's been into seat and they say they can't find anything wrong which I'm a bit worried about as my warranty runs out in march :(

It's when the car is under load, when you first put our foot down at low revs. It's like a screeching noise a bit like a fan belt but more distant. It's def coming from up front somewhere. I didn't think it was the actual turbo at first but the more I listen it is when the turbo spins I think. It started off sounding more like air squeezing out of a gap, but seat say they have checked all pipes for leaks and I'm now convinced its getting louder.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any idea what it is?

Also I developed a rattle which they also say they can't do anything about, they say it's the airbox. Is there any fix for this that anyone has found.

Many many thanks all

MMM

MisterMoleyMole

Apr 21, 2008
Anyone any idea? Anyone had anything similar. It def sounds like its at that torquey area of when the turbo kicks in at low revs. Doesn't happen in first but from second then third onwards when it s having to work a little harder to turn the gears?

Really worried that it's something to do wit turbo just before the warranty is up.

Cheers
MMM

stevie502

I have a noise like that at the moment as the engine is under load from low revs around 1500 to 1750 rpm and its coming from one of the belt pullys or tensior as it goes when u remove the belt

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Same year, same car, same noise. I never got to the bottom of it, other than low revs and accelerating. Hasnt been a problem.

MisterMoleyMole

Apr 21, 2008
really!

It's a bit rubbish now that I've been back to the dealer with two pretty annoying noises on a 4 year old car, and been told they don't know what they are and won't do anything about them. Wish i had my mk1 still :( It seemed like a far better built car.

stevie502

Well mine has been back in the dealers this week and they say they have got the noise coming from the air-con pump so they are ordering one. Im quite annoyed aswell i have only had the car since the start of december and it the 3rd time its been hope this helps you with yours i forgot to say in other post mines also 58plate 170 fr

darkwolfe

Oct 13, 2006
Hi, I had the exact same thing on a DSG a few years back, turned out to be the clutched pully on the alternator.

The pully is designed to slip slightly to keep the engine running smooth when the alternator is loaded, no sudden loading. This clutch can start to make a noice when it slips, although no issue it's annoying!

I think the bill for replacement came to about 200, the part is crazy expensive for such a small thing.

cupralite

Nov 26, 2004
Warrington
Hi all

Mr 2008 fr 170 has developed a noise. It's been into seat and they say they can't find anything wrong which I'm a bit worried about as my warranty runs out in march :(

It's when the car is under load, when you first put our foot down at low revs. It's like a screeching noise a bit like a fan belt but more distant. It's def coming from up front somewhere. I didn't think it was the actual turbo at first but the more I listen it is when the turbo spins I think. It started off sounding more like air squeezing out of a gap, but seat say they have checked all pipes for leaks and I'm now convinced its getting louder.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any idea what it is?

Also I developed a rattle which they also say they can't do anything about, they say it's the airbox. Is there any fix for this that anyone has found.

Many many thanks all

MMM

I've got exactly the same thing on mine right now! It's been to two SEAT dealerships and they reckon there is nothing wrong with it. Just thought I must be going round the bend until I read this! :clap:

Now.... have you got a DSG box, beacuse that's what I thought this was - having had some issues with it when I first got the motor.

Hi, I had the exact same thing on a DSG a few years back, turned out to be the clutched pully on the alternator.

The pully is designed to slip slightly to keep the engine running smooth when the alternator is loaded, no sudden loading. This clutch can start to make a noice when it slips, although no issue it's annoying!

I think the bill for replacement came to about 200, the part is crazy expensive for such a small thing.

So, how did you convince SEAT there was something up and is it a warranty job? They basically looked at me as though I was mental! [:@]

darkwolfe

Oct 13, 2006
the dealer diagnosed it for me, i was convinced there was something wrong with the DSG box. They assured me the pully was the problem but I was sceptical but with the part fitted never had another noise.

I should add here that the car was out of warranty, so I took it to stafford Audi as they were willing to negotiate a replacement gearbox price befoe i went in. However once in there they said it was just the pully. To this day I still get my quarterly audi magazine, but gotta say those guys were great. :)

cupralite

Nov 26, 2004
Warrington
the dealer diagnosed it for me, i was convinced there was something wrong with the DSG box. They assured me the pully was the problem but I was sceptical but with the part fitted never had another noise.

I should add here that the car was out of warranty, so I took it to stafford Audi as they were willing to negotiate a replacement gearbox price befoe i went in. However once in there they said it was just the pully. To this day I still get my quarterly audi magazine, but gotta say those guys were great. :)

Nice! I'm going to get it into SEAT to get it dealt with. The 'garage' I bought it from have re-checked the DSG and assure me that all the settings and software are ok and I think I believe them. From what you described, it sounds exactly like a belt slipping at certain revs. Fingers crossed it will be covered by the warranty!

Have you had the Timing belt done recently or has it been changed???? Dont want to scare you just yet lol

Nope. It's only 3yrs old / 40k miles - surely doesn't need a timing belt yet!

What's a dsg box? I don't think I have one of them, just standard manual gear box.

Direct Shift Gearbox. It's like a fancy manual gearbox that has been fitted with 2 clutches and a load of electronics. Gear changes are instant and smooth..... In short, it's an automatic!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.