Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

Gogs170fr

My dpf was on too gave it a good thrash in third n it soon went of, + bluefin map wasnt working great after recall lots of turbo lag! So have t see whats up with that!

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
on mine dpf light was 5 times since recall I do have car for 2 years and I seen light just twice before recall ...

Liam999uk

Hi guys, i have just bought a Leon fr tdi 170 and am a bit concerned about this injector failure business! It's had 2 previous owners and has got 75k on the clock. Does it matter about where it's been serviced and how many owners the car has had to get the injectors sorted FOC???? It's does have a full seat history barring one stamp which was done at an independent garage. The water pump and belt has been done 10k ago so they should be fine. Am I able to get the injectors sorted at seat free of charge???? Cheers

LukeH

May 19, 2008
hey up,

has anyone actually had theyre mpg go down since havng the new injectors fitted?? i seem to think mine has! :-(

just had them done today, on a 57 plate leon fr. was averaging 45ish before and now says 38 on the trip computer! they lent me an Ibiza ecomotive as a courtesy car, 72mpg!! nearly had a heart attack haha

Hi markptg, just seen your comment about MPG going down. I had my injectors replaced on my 2.0Tdi FR170 2007 a few weeks ago and I have noticed my MPG has definitely gone down a bit too. not as much as yours though, but I would say I was only getting around 41MPG before and now it seems to be consistently reading 38 or 39MPG.

The thing is the car does feel a lot smoother with its power delivery now especially pulling away in first gear which used to be really lumpy and jerky, so at least that has improved. So I'm not too bothered about the MPG. I'm also thinking of getting the Superchips Bluefin for the car soon, so that will no doubt affect MPG again anyway.

LukeH

May 19, 2008
My dpf was on too gave it a good thrash in third n it soon went of, + bluefin map wasnt working great after recall lots of turbo lag! So have t see whats up with that!

Hi Gogs170fr,

Have you had your Bluefin map looked at yet? I'm interested to see what the outcome was as I am thinking about getting a Bluefin for my FR170. I recently had the Injectors & loom replaced on mine. I also have a Miltek Cat-Back non-resonated exhaust system, but I still have my DPF.

What was your Bluefin map like before your injectors were replaced? Was it a good investment would you say?

Cheers

Luke

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
I have seen yesterday on motorway 64 mpg over 40 miles sure this is not right

LukeH

May 19, 2008
I have seen yesterday on motorway 64 mpg over 40 miles sure this is not right

That seems too high to me. I'm sure the official MPG stated by SEAT for the FR170 is only around 47mpg for combined driving.

So maybe you could get something like 55mpg, but even then surely you would have to be driving at 55mph on a motorway to achieve that. 64mpg does sound too high to me.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
my battery was flat so I do not make any pucture but I do have one where 56mpg is on and this was also on 40 miles run

LukeH

May 19, 2008
my battery was flat so I do not make any pucture but I do have one where 56mpg is on and this was also on 40 miles run

The only way to know for sure what MPG your getting though is to fill up tank, drive certain amount of miles, then re-fill tank and see how many miles you travelled on that amount of fuel. Jut incase your in car display is reading higher than it should.

I reckon if I did that I would get the same as my display. I will try it the next time I fill-up with diesel.

shifimofo

Had my injectors replaced today.
With regards to the fuel consumption I can't say that I'm all that impressed with this 2.0 170 lump. My previous Fabia vRS could achieve quite nice numbers without any difficulty, but to be fair, I've had the car just over a week so it could just be the "honeymoon" period.

DPF; No idea. Haven't had any issues with it yet but I'll keep an eye on this one. MPG I'll also keep an eye on! I've yet to do a brim to brim test so I can't make any comment.

shifimofo

Confirmed. MPG *has* improved.

Two drives to work and the car consumed 5 miles of fuel (according to the trip computer) whereas normally it would use about 15-20. My journey is a 10 mile effort.
I also went out today and did about 20-25 miles and again it only used about 20 miles, this included a bit of a "jolly" too!

I highly doubt I'll see as high an MPG figure as I did in the vRS but this is a definite improvement!

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
Mine has improved considerably aswell. Before the new injectors i'd only see maybe 44-46 mpg on a run. With a full car load on a just the other weekI averaged 51.3 mpg, a considerable improvement that i'm really happy with.

markptg

Hi markptg, just seen your comment about MPG going down. I had my injectors replaced on my 2.0Tdi FR170 2007 a few weeks ago and I have noticed my MPG has definitely gone down a bit too. not as much as yours though, but I would say I was only getting around 41MPG before and now it seems to be consistently reading 38 or 39MPG.

Hi mate, I gotta say my issue with the low mpg seems to have sorted it's self out a bit. I've done about 100 miles since having the injectors sorted and only used just over an 8th of a tank. Still to early to say of its improved massively but I'll keep you posted.

drummer.gavin

Feb 11, 2009
Dublin
Hi All,

I just directed myself over here from the Altea side of the forum. I have a 07 FR TDI and I'm just wondering if there is any information regarding the injector re-call, I have phoned the Seat dealer I bought the car off as I wasn't too sure if I would get a letter in the post as I am the second owner and with the car being part of a fleet. Is there any engine number range that has been re-called?
The dealer said that they would have a look into it but I wouldn't mind doing the same.

Being from Ireland I don't know if it's coming from Seat UK or Seat "Global" and if I would be included because I think there are very few Altea FR TDI's in Ireland, infact I think there is a good chance I might have the only one! There are a few Leon FR's but I don't know any of the owners to get any info.

Any help or info would be great!

Gavin

Bookerman

Well mine went last Wednesday, previously had 1 injector changed in may 2011 bill payed by Seat. My car is a parallel import from Motorpoint and I had a mighty battle to get Seat to foot the bill this time because of this. Anyway long and short of it is I got the car back today with all injectors and wiring loom changed free of charge. (Well happy) :)

jonboy_tdi_fr

Injector problems TDI FR 170

Hi everyone, as you will know I'm a newbie so this is my first post. I bought a second hand 07 plate Leon TDI FR 170 last September 2011, engine number BMN, and so far have loved it, good speed etc and good mpg figures. Yetserday a throw away comment by a mate - "have your injectors not failed yet?!" - got me worrying and led me to searching the internet to see if this is a common fault. I obviously found this large thread and am now scared to death!!! Especially as my wife uses the car and we have just had our first baby two weeks ago.

I have read and read this thread and others on sites such as Honest John. There's lots of info to take in and people have had different experiences. I was just wondering if anyone could clarify if I will be able to have my injectors/loom checked and replaced at a SEAT dealership garage and if so will this be FOC as I am really going to struggle to foot a bill just short of a grand? Unfortunately my motor has a full service history but the last two (previous owner) are by a local garage. Will this affect any decision by SEAT?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and apologies for the essay!

Jonboy

shifimofo

Hi everyone, as you will know I'm a newbie so this is my first post. I bought a second hand 07 plate Leon TDI FR 170 last September 2011, engine number BMN, and so far have loved it, good speed etc and good mpg figures. Yetserday a throw away comment by a mate - "have your injectors not failed yet?!" - got me worrying and led me to searching the internet to see if this is a common fault. I obviously found this large thread and am now scared to death!!! Especially as my wife uses the car and we have just had our first baby two weeks ago.

I have read and read this thread and others on sites such as Honest John. There's lots of info to take in and people have had different experiences. I was just wondering if anyone could clarify if I will be able to have my injectors/loom checked and replaced at a SEAT dealership garage and if so will this be FOC as I am really going to struggle to foot a bill just short of a grand? Unfortunately my motor has a full service history but the last two (previous owner) are by a local garage. Will this affect any decision by SEAT?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and apologies for the essay!

Jonboy

Shouldn't be an issue. Mine has a full SEAT/VW service history but I ended up taking it to a SEAT dealership that had NO dealings with my car at any point and they did it all, FOC, including a wash a vac too! They did however try and tell me my cambelt needed doing when it didn't and brake fluid also. I didn't have an issue with them telling me this and then me correcting them, but it's just when the woman said that she was "looking at my service book" at the time I was on the phone to her. She promptly apologised and then hung up when I corrected her and told her that the service book was actually on my desk in front of me!

If you're unsure give SEAT UK a call on 0500 222 222 and have a chat with the folks there. They can get the relevant details from chassis/reg from what I can recall.

Bookerman

They may try it on but just push the safety issue. Mine was serviced at seat up to 30,000 miles but then taken to a local garage as I was majorly unhappy with the service of the main dealer. On my 1st injector replacement I had to give them a copy of all receipts as I have always asked for it to be serviced in line with the dealer spec and genuine parts to be fitted. But if your car is a UK car I don't see you having much of an issue TBH.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonboy_tdi_fr

Injector problems TDI FR 170

Many thanks Bookerman, many thanks shifimofo, greatly appreciate your responses. I have e-mailed SEAT UK, Simon Ackroyd and a local SEAT dealer so will see if I get any response from them otherwise I will call the 0500 number pronto. Fingers crossed! I will post any updates i get here. Thanks once again.

Shifimofo - had a similar dealing with my wife's Corsa and a Perrys dealership. It had gone in for a routine oil change. Prior to this a fuse had blown which I had removed disabling one of the headlights/sidelights but I hadn't got round to replacing it before Perrys got their hands on the car. They changed the bulb off their own bat but when the headlight still didn't work they rang me to tell me the car needed a full electronics diagnostic to get to the route of the problem costing £129.99!!! Surely they must have known the fuse had been removed?! We have never serviced the car their since!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members