The end is here for my K1

hammie2k

Mar 4, 2009
Well after 3 years of ownership the K1 return's next month to the lease company.

I'll be sad to see it go but the time has come to move onwards and upwards into my new Range Rover Evoque.

She's not given me too many issues over the 3 years and still buts a smile on my face now when you mash the throttle!. The car has been fantastic to own but sadly let down by a few things:

1) The ride is truly awful - Maybe just me becoming an old man (33) but I find it crashes into every single bump in the road, this was proven when I drove my mates Lotus Evora S down the same patch on road and it was sooooo much more smooth than the Leon.

I get the hard riding hot hatch but you can achieve the same goals buy damping the ride right like Lotus have.

2) The dealer!!! - I won't name them but they have been substandard from day 1 of ownership, They have improved things in the last 6 months so credit due there.

3) The Interior - after 3 years you come to learn they really have done this from the VAG bargain basement bin!

I've sat in the face lift and that seems to be better than the pre facelift but still feels cheep!

These niggles aside if I was to buy my own car again I would give the Leon a serious look as it's up there for pure bang for you buck driving.

I would have considered the Cupra R but I just don't like the styling on there.. It's not mad enough for the type of car it is.

So with a little sadness I wave goodbye to the Seat forum and the car... but who knows I may return 1 day :cry:

Chris

StealthInspired

Apr 18, 2011
UK
Did you have the option to purchase your K1 after the 3 years, from the lease company?
Or for all of the reasons you mentioned above - you decided not to go down that route.

My other half drives an SUV. I must admit, climbing out of that and back into my SEAT, which does feel quite primative in comparison (none of the luxuries plus alot more plastic). Plus in the SUV - as with your Range Rover, you'll just love the higher sitting position over the road - you just feel you are in someone quite substantial (compared to looking down at the roofs of the "little" cars beneath). :D

All the best - Am sure you'll love your new vehicle. :)

Clark10

Apr 13, 2005
Belfast
I agree with you on the interior, I almost feel like I have to apologise for it when people get into my car.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Plus in the SUV - as with your Range Rover, you'll just love the higher sitting position over the road - you just feel you are in someone quite substantial (compared to looking down at the roofs of the "little" cars beneath). :D

My one experience in a Range Rover is precisely that, but I hated it. I felt so 'detached' from the road that I could have driven straight off the road and not even realised. I can see why so many people have silly accidents in them, if they had been in any other car they would have realised something bad was about to happen.

StealthInspired

Apr 18, 2011
UK
Very good point Slimy. But that's also the side I really enjoy about driving the SUV / 4x4's. :rolleyes:
SUV / 4x4's are not DRIVERS cars, as you state. Never designed to be. Infact totally the opposite, great at soaking up all the road imperfections, pot holes, bumps etc (after all, originally designed for off-road driving)...

Plus, I dont "drop into" the SUV like a car that has a low seating position (in comparison). If anything, I SIDE-step into the 4x4, as the drivers seat is THAT high - plus I'm 6'3". :) Almost like sitting into a luxury leather armchair. It's a great place to be.

I've been there/done that, with the "performance" cars, the feedback through the wheel etc, real DRIVERS cars - but if I could afford it, I'd buy a similar vehicle for myself (to my wife - something like a Jeep Commander) - however morally, plus financially, that would be a silly idea. :)

Last edited:

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
You mention the Lotus has better damping....well it should have as they are around double what the Cupra costs lol. Dont forget the Cupra is a sub 20k car. People moaned about the mk1 LCR too but at the end of the day that was an 18k car too. Your not gonna get comfort AND performance in this price territory.

Oh and im nearly 33 also, my car is uncomfortable but its better than standard. Oh and my courtesy car atm is a Nissan Note. Now this runs quite comfortable but i cant wait to get back in my car (and be forced to drive the long way home again) lol

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
(after all, originally designed for off-road driving)...

Haha, don't even get me started on the 'off road' capabilities of these cars!! :D Even if they can actually go off road, I reckon about half a percent of those actually go off road!

If I see a 4x4 with mud up to it's wing mirrors then I acknowledge it as an 'off road vehicle', up until then it's an SUV....

StealthInspired

Apr 18, 2011
UK
^ I'll have you know ours regularly goes offroad!!!... Off the road and into our driveway! :p
Driving it in the snow though last week WAS fantastic - never had SO much fun in the snow. Apart from skiing - abroad.

Agree though, you dont often see a dirty 4x4! :D

Last edited:

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
Haha, don't even get me started on the 'off road' capabilities of these cars!! :D Even if they can actually go off road, I reckon about half a percent of those actually go off road!

If I see a 4x4 with mud up to it's wing mirrors then I acknowledge it as an 'off road vehicle', up until then it's an SUV....

in a way you can say the same about a high % of the hot hatches / performance cars on our roads i.e. how many of them are driven as the manufacturer intended? to do so, unless you're braking the law, would entail taking them to a track, how many of us do that?

must admit i'd love a range rover sport but just don't have the £££ :cry: call me a drug dealer, call me a hairdresser, call me a footballer etc etc, i don't care, i'd love one.

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
HAHA - OFF ROAD MY ASS !!!

Well unless it has the "Proper 4x4 drivers do it in the mud" stickers, or similar then there is no way the 4x4 is EVER EVER going off road !!

And really would you take an Evoque off road with its huge wheels and low profile tyres !?!?!

My mates Range Rover Sport on 22" wheels has a special built in "ANTI-MUD" device - it automatically swerves around puddles and muddy patches on the road !!!!!!

The Evoque is not for me, especially at the prices I've seen second hand Nissan GT-Rs for now !!

But good luck with the Evoque, lets just hope you've got a decent dealer as I've worked for a few Land Rover dealers and their customer service has been shockingly bad.

Andy

hammie2k

Mar 4, 2009
All the Evoques are 4WD except the ED4 model that's 2WD drive.

I was sceptical about this car before I test drive one and it's a very nice place to be. I have the Dynamic model on order which has the MagnaRide on there which from what people say makes it handle like a hot hatch (not too sure about that tbh).

I wish Seat would have made the Cupra R much better style and interior wise and I might just have gone for one of those instead... That or an RS3 :).

Honest people don't pre judge the Evoque until you sit in one and drive it.. They are expensive but much much better than the X3 or Q3.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I'm sure you're a lovely bloke, but they are proper ******s cars. They aren't even off road vehicles anymore, most of them just have normal tyres on.

They're a car that just says 'I think I am important because I am in a big car'

Sorry mate but you've made a **** choice lol :(

10man

Revo'd cupra k1
Sep 11, 2009
long eaton, notts
I'm sure you're a lovely bloke, but they are proper ******s cars. They aren't even off road vehicles anymore, most of them just have normal tyres on.

just tell him what you really think, pmsl

Gareth 265 R

Aug 4, 2011
Harrogate

Come on don't hold back, say what you think.

They are not supposed to be offroad vehicle, they are a crossover. Have the benefits of car performance with high driving position 4wd for LIGHT (dirt tracks muddy fields etc) offroad capability.

Interior wise they are typical Range Rover and will knock the socks off all similar priced Audi cars, never mind our Seats

I think they look good and the 240 bhp petrol will shock alot of hot hatches, as it did me. I was following one the other day and couldn't believe how quick it was joining the motorway from the slip road, seriously quick for the size.

hammie2k

Mar 4, 2009
Well people are entitled to their own opinion which is why we all love cars.
I am sure some people think Seats and jumped up VW's or fake Audis.

The Evoque is a nice car and is more than capable off road, it's never going to beat a defender but it can hold its own.

I could have had an S5 or M3 but I wanted something I can use day to day for work and the plan is to buy a used VX220 for summer :)

Last edited:

10man

Revo'd cupra k1
Sep 11, 2009
long eaton, notts
Well people are entitled to their own opinion which is why we all love cars.
I am sure some people think Seats and jumped up VW's or fake Audis.

The Evoque is a nice car and is more than capable off road, it's never going to beat a defender but it can hold its own.

I could have had an S5 or M3 but I wanted something I can use day to day for work and the plan is to buy a used VX220 for summer :)
now your just showing off, lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members