Re-map or Ecu chip?

partyboy

I'm due to have the car on RR at end of month and I'm considering a custom remap or a ecu chip from Germany for the abf engine that is described as an aggressive chip that adds in the region of 21 bhp (from standard)

I am going to be putting cams on early June to get it ready for show season so I'm just after a reasonable power upgrade

So just wanting any help or advice on personal preference

Cheers

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
You can't remap the ABF ECU's - only chip them

However, if you're changing the cams, you need to have a remap for that (or it will run craply)

I'm not sure how they can make it 'aggressive' with the limited alterations possible with the ABF engine. 21bhp is kinda optimistic too for a remap (given that most made +10-15bhp more than stock)

You want to talk to Vince at Stealth Racing really

Last edited:

partyboy

Here's the description off the site for the chip
This is the highest performance chip available for your 2.0 dohc 16v engine (ABF) that can be found on SEAT Ibiza, Toledo, VW Golf, Passat and Vento. The chip was made on dyno as the car produced 171BHP and 210NM with standart serial camshafts. The chip has very aggressive ignition timing curves to provide your engine more power and better fuel economy at the same time. The power gains are very appreciable, note no other modifications are necessary with this chip.

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
+1 for what Mark says.

Having been there, done that I would doubt very much that a simple chip would get you that gain unless you were on a mega-optimistic RR. I suspect that their base care was a good one out of the box & was probably running low 160's anyway, so the chip only gave an extra 10 bhp.

That's what happened with my old 8v - it was running 124bhp before I started (i.e. 9 over book) and that went to 136bhp with the rechip. That was 1998 when AmD was still two blokes in a shed. I ran that just with the rechip for 13 years no problem until it got scrapped last year.

Moving onto my Cordy, I have Schrick 268 Cams in mine and the garage who fitted them tried to chip it but TBH I don't really think they knew what they were doing. They were more used to dealing with completely standalone engine management systems.

In the end, took it to see Vince @ Stealth Racing on the basis that they seem to be one of the few (or possibly the only) garages who can still be bothered tuning N/A engines. Was about £250 from memory in late 2010.

With a TSR 4-1 manifold, polished & ported head and decat it produced:
Peak power = 182.2bhp @6350rpm
Peak torque = 158.5lb/ft @5775rpm

It currently has a Pipercross Vector induction kit but I'll be putting the original airbox back on in due course. That might improve things slightly as induction kits aren't good ideas unless you're just looking for noise.

Last edited:

partyboy

Thanks for the advice

Glad I asked or I would've messed up big style

Looks like I'm saving up taking it to stealth for cams and tuning all at once

partyboy

I've just got a panel filter on the cars loud enough with the decat and power flow back box

partyboy

1f586456-1ed6-d84e.jpg

Shot of my engine bay

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
I have a cat to put on the car & I take it to a friendly garage. It will pass the emissions test, it just needs to be treated sympathetically.

partyboy

Had a word with vince at stealth nice guy gave me some food for thought, cheers

partyboy

Been thinking alot about a vr6 conversion m0rk what do you think?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Fairly cheap to buy a Mk3 golf & use all the bits, not really powerful these days, but lovely engine