Coolant overfilled

DazJohnson

Hi

I've had to top my coolant up a few times this year (a couple of times header tank was empty)...now when I've checked this the coolant is over the MAX mark on the bottle.

Will this cause any further problems, will it just overflow or should I get the extra drained out?

Modelmakerman

Mk4 Ibiza FR TDi
Apr 24, 2010
Bristol, UK
www.modelmakerman.com
Was the engine warm when you checked? The level rises as the system heats up so it often rises above the MAX mark, this is what the expansion bottle is for.

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere as youve had to top it up a few times, get the system pressure tested and youll find out where the leak is.

Reactions: Lambro6

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
I'd do what MMM says, it's good advice. Have you checked for mayonnaise on the underside of your oil cap? Have you had to top up your oil much?

DazJohnson

Only topped up oil when oil feed pipe split (long one to the turbo).

No mayo under the oil cap either. When the engines cold it's about 10mm above the MAX mark.

Haven't checked when it's warm to be honest, where could I get it pressure tested...normal garages be able to do this?

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
I wouldn't worry too much about being 10mm over the max. I would be worried about the fact it's losing coolant though. Did you top it back up with plain water or coolant?
Usually when coolant (antifreeze) leaks out and dries it leaves a white stain, might be worth just poking around the radiator/ front of the engine area and see if you can see any of the white staining (it looks almost like a salt build up) that would give you a heads up on where the leak could be coming from :)

Paulie..

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise