New Cambelt on a mk2 cupra

Daz P

Dec 24, 2009
midlands
Hiya All

My cars booked in on Tuesday to have its Cambelt done.
Thing is I asked the guy in service about having the water pump done too? He said that it doesnt need changing???? Even went as far as saying theve never changed a water pump on a mk 2 Leon. What's everybody's thoughts on that.
Cheers

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
mmm I changed mine. Make sure they replace the engine mount bolts too...... don't want the same thing happening to you that happened to me.

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Kincardineshire, scotland
I never did the pump on mine either but I do it myself.

What's up with the engine mount bolts? Never replaced mine either.

Maybe I'm being cheap haha

betts

chasing horses
May 22, 2009
nottingham
Cambelts are a sore subject with me mate. The bottom tensioner failed on my cupra at 18,000 miles and 1 month over 3 years old, the result was 16 bent valves and a £2000 bill, so my advice is to get the waterpump done and cambelt soober rather than later

calvR

Oct 21, 2011
Kent
I would always change water pump.
Think its basic logic really, it may be ok now but may not last until the next belt change, so you will have to fork out the entire labour cost again. May aswell just buy the pump as the extra labour at the time will be minimal.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I never did the pump on mine either but I do it myself.

What's up with the engine mount bolts? Never replaced mine either.

Maybe I'm being cheap haha

It is recommended to change them when cambelt is done. I am sure a tech here will confirm that. Mine was not done and the stretch bolt snapped clean in half causing the belt to rub against the housing. I had a thread here about it. Will see if I can dig it out. I have proper SS bolts now from an audi engine. here it is:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=342434&highlight=dear

Last edited:

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
totaly diffrent engine obviously but my pd had belt last sunday by vag tech he said why do you want water pump doing, so i didnt he should know best

He knows the best way to make money :)

On my pd130 my water pump failed within 3 hours driving after having the cannot done, causing a second expensive bill the next day which was a coincidence according to the dealer.

I talked to another dealer who always changes the water pump at the same time due to the likelihood of failure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Kincardineshire, scotland
Spoke to a few vw and Audi techs today and none of them have ever replaced the bolts, they also said that they have never seen the bolts snap.

Just for peace of mind I will replace the bolts this week, has any one got the part numbers for the 3x different bolts of which there are two of each?

YIN

Leon cupra Mk2
Oct 6, 2003
Dudley
www.futuremark.com
Engine Mount =
2 x N 019 502 13 - M8x25 29p each
1 x N 905 969 06 - M10x55x32 £2.35
2 x N 105 524 02 - M12x1,5x70 £1.36
1 x N 910 296 02 - M10x55/M6x12 £2.26

Gearbox Mount =
4 x N 905 969 06 - M10x55x32 £2.35 each
2 x N 105 524 02 - M12x1,5x70 £1.36 each

Thats the numbers and prices for a full set

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Changing the belt and not fitting a pump at the same time is just plain stupid.

Many dealer techs won't fit them as the dealers "belt changes" only very often include the belt and tensioner, no rollers, dampness or water pumps.

I always fit a new pump as well as any other timing belt driven component.

As for the bolts snapping - that's normally down to over tightening, leaving them loose or not using lock-tite on them, they are subject to a torque sequence wether they are new or not.

I've seen in the region of 10 cars with snapped or sheared engine mount bolts all fail within weeks or months of the belt change.

Last edited:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
It is important to renew the bolts that require it and torque them correctly.

Engine mountings are designed to act in a certain way in an impact, the mounting breaks off and the engine goes under the car not the passenger compartment. If the mounting isn't as it should be it might not break as designed.

Reactions: MJ

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
It is important to renew the bolts that require it and torque them correctly.

Engine mountings are designed to act in a certain way in an impact, the mounting breaks off and the engine goes under the car not the passenger compartment. If the mounting isn't as it should be it might not break as designed.

Thats something that not alot of people are aware of you know.