New Cambelt on a mk2 cupra

calvR

Oct 21, 2011
Kent
On the point of trust, if you book in for cambelt n waterpump change how do you know they have actually done it?

I guess u could say that about everything u get done on ur car.
U could always ask for the old parts back, or wait while its done? Mite get a bit tedious tho.
I personally use the same garage for everything so I trust them, also helps that I know the service manager.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Water pumps are normally exchange so you won't get that back, but tbh I always do them as I'm the mug who's going to have to do it again if the impeller desides to come off.

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
What you have to remember with every garage is they are a business. They are there to make money. Some do it by looking after your car and preventing trips to the garage. Others realise they can make money by not spotting things that will break and preventing them, they think short term and think they will earn more money by letting things fail and then replace them for more money. You only end up moving on to a better garage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Masterkm

My Leon 'Alyssa'
Jul 11, 2011
Halesowen, West Mids
I would wait and I have done where ever I leave my car, I know i dont work much now but theres a lot of cowboys out there. I stood waiting 5hours for cambelt and water pump and bumper fitting dont get me started on that lol 13hours wtf! I was sooo bored it was unbelievable, most would think im a lunatic but even watchn them do it they were not doing this right so imagine if i wasnt there lol

JonnyF

Jan 4, 2012
It is important to renew the bolts that require it and torque them correctly.

Engine mountings are designed to act in a certain way in an impact, the mounting breaks off and the engine goes under the car not the passenger compartment. If the mounting isn't as it should be it might not break as designed.

What is the torque for the bolts? I'm in the middle of doing it now and thought that I'd bookmarked it when I found it but it seems I didn't and now I can't remember where I saw it.

Stokie

Mk3 Leon Fr184
May 24, 2010
Stoke
Same here where ever my car goes for work i wait there till its done now! never use to untill what u read in amin.....

Only reason for this is a garage a few years ago that did some work, told me it would take a few hours as they were busy & to come back near the end of the day, so i left my car & went home (i always take a picture off my mileage when leaving it with garage) anyway came back to collect car & straight away noticed my fuel gauge had gone down by alot, they had only used my car to do 120miles in, lets just say i flipped at the manager, got the work done for FREE & they even payed to refill my car! only as i threatened them with the police & showed him i had evidence on my phone off my mileage when i dropped the car off.

But yeah because of the above my car never leaves my sight now

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
mines going in to the seat dealership next few days to get my belt and pump done.

299 and 60 pump, cant complain.

shouldve already been done by garage who i bought it off but thats another loooong story

Last edited:

simon54321

Feb 8, 2012
north yorkshire
always change the water pump with a cambelt, just think its dont the same amount of work as the cambelt, so as most people have said better safe than sorry, and a nice few grand bill for getting it fixed
:think:

Ray_n_Debs

Feb 4, 2012
Nr Skipton
FYI

My car is back with the garage (Honda dealership) that I bought it from to have the cambelt changed. They are doing the work for free because it should've been done before I bought the car.... I pointed this out to them after a discussion on this forum and they phoned SEAT to confirm.

Anyway..... I was going to try to get them to change the water pump at the same time. When I mentioned it to the guy he said that it's already being done because SEAT said it was part of the kit/job.

So my point is, if you're having your cambelt changed, especially at a SEAT dealership then it should be included in the kit.

p.s. Our car is a Leon Cupra (57)

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.