revo and egr valve

hoggy a

Mar 24, 2005
can revo block the egr valve from coming on if you get one of there re-maps,been told it just needs programming when they up load the map onto your car,or do i need to blank it off then get the re-map

hoggy a

Mar 24, 2005
got told by a vag tech today the ecu looks for the egr valve, so if it can be removed by revo then the ecu does not look for it making it not work and putting a light on your dash

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
You can:

1. remove the EGR completely and replace with a delete kit, this will bring on the engine warning light that can be mapped out. Depending on which kit you get it also removes the ASV(anti stutter valve) which some people aren't keen to do just in case the worst happens and the engine won't turn off.

2. blank or reduce with gaskets, the blank brings on the warning lights the reducers don't usually

3. turn down the settings with VAGCOM to limit it's use

4. do a combination of 2. and 3. to physically and electronically reduce it :)

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
so the answer to my question is,do i need to blank it off or can revo do it ????

Tuners usually (most of them) turn the duty cycle right down as a matter of course on these diesels, so yes, revo can do that. The ECU doesn't exactly look for the EGR, but monitors the airflow. If the EGR is removed, the airflow changes.

hoggy a

Mar 24, 2005
Tuners usually (most of them) turn the duty cycle right down as a matter of course on these diesels, so yes, revo can do that. The ECU doesn't exactly look for the EGR, but monitors the airflow. If the EGR is removed, the airflow changes.

so is it best to remove the egr or just get revo to map it out,or do i need a blanking kit,i was told revo could re-map it out saving me buying a blanking kit,this is getting confusing

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Revo can turn the duty cycle right down, but to totally stop it, either remove it or blank it off. Personally I wouldn't, most people on here focus on the cons and forget the pros of the EGR, but thats just my humble opinion.

hoggy a

Mar 24, 2005
Revo can turn the duty cycle right down, but to totally stop it, either remove it or blank it off. Personally I wouldn't, most people on here focus on the cons and forget the pros of the EGR, but thats just my humble opinion.

so really clean it out or put a new one on would be your advice

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
so really clean it out or put a new one on would be your advice

It's a very debateable topic regarding the EGR. It plays a big part in the engine running correctly especially in winter and cold climates, and not only there for emissions, but as previously stated, there are pros and cons, and many would argue more cons. Do what you think is best.

Last edited:

hoggy a

Mar 24, 2005
It's a very debateable topic regarding the EGR. It plays a big part in the engine running correctly especially in winter and cold climates, and not only there for emissions, but as preveviously stated, there are pros and cons, and many would argue more cons. Do what you think is best.

ummmmmm think ill clean it out and then look at anew one if i get a problem,any ideas how easy it is to remove

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
It's relatively straight forward. Remove boost bipe, 3 X allen bolts holding it to the air intake manifold, a 2 X connecting the EGR to the pipes going to the turbo. Access to the bolts is the difficult part, but doable.

Most people just remove it or block it off, it does promote faster spool up etc

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.