tow electrics question

mike55

May 31, 2010
Tow bar electrics

The standard seven way relay does not work. On my previous Altea I made up a wiring loom myself, but had to use a smart relay. The part cam bus electrics, uses one bulb for the rear light and brake light. It simply varies the power to make it duller for tail light and brighter for brake light. You have to run through a procedure to make it learn but then it worked fine. Make sure you get the correct model to suit your car.

My present Freetrack is wired with the genuine Seat loom. The car was already fitted with the required module, which is a swine to retro fit. This supplementary harness was simplicity itself to fit. It also turns offthe reverse park sensors whenever the tow plug is fitted.

regards
Mike

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
Mike,

Apologies for the random question, but I was wondering where the supplemental harness connects to; I'm assuming there's a module in the back somewhere, subject to the car being pre-wired for towing?

Cheers,

Ritch

mike55

May 31, 2010
Towbar electrics

As i understand it the Freetrack was already wired with the supplementary wiring within the car. All that is required is a wiring loom from the control module unit behind the RH rear light. the towbar loom simply plugs into this with a loop to pick up the reverse sensors so that they turn off when reversing a trailer or caravan. If this control module is not fitted then wiring must be brought forward to the fuse boxes under the dash, quite an involved job. Incedently my reverse sensors did not switch off when reversing. Apparently Seat had programmed my manual car with a DSG setting. As soon as this was changed it worked ok. By the way the dealer was not aware he tow bar module was standard fit in the Freetrack.

Unless you have to wire back to the dash I would strongly suggest paying the extra to get he Seat tow bar harness. Dont bother with their supplementary kit as this is cheaper and easier to by a voltage switch unit to control the charge and fridge. By the way the Seat tow bar harness did not have the contacts to wire in the supplementary power and these did not come with the supplementary kit. I had to cut off the power socket and fit a new 13 pin socket.

Hope this helps

Regards Mike

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.