Small Front Number Plates?

Manny

2016 Leon FR 2.0 TDI
Nov 27, 2010
Hey,
Tried havin a search but couldnt really find much on this.

Does anyone here have a smaller number plate on the front?
I know that the standard size is 20.5x4.4 or so, but is it illegal having a slight smaller plate on the front? like a 16x3.5?

Manny

2016 Leon FR 2.0 TDI
Nov 27, 2010
Hmm, I saw that i can get a standard size plate but the width would be shorter to fit 6 letters nicely but i dont see why they want all these new details on the footer, ive always had my name :S

Rob-TSI

Sep 6, 2010
The idea is to regulate the number plate makers so to make it harder to get false plates for illegal purposes. Hence why u need the log book.

But... They can do what they like and sell them as "show plates" got for road use

Tom.S

Got mine from craigsplates just choose custom size and put in what ever size you like!! Good service too.

nevins

Always run 1/4 plates on mine, no problems with any of them.

May 7, 2011
North East, UK
Yea i will ... to give you an idea:

Front is 1.5" narrower from the sides and 1" shorter from top and bottom.
Rear is about 6" narrower and 3/4" shorter.

May 7, 2011
North East, UK
That is what i currently have on the front, but have gone for a slightly smaller one!
Same as the rear ... there is a name for them (Import) i think which is smaller than a standard.

Its illegal to fit plates with anything other than the standard sized lettering and spacing if there is provision for normal sized number plates to be fitted to the car. The only exception is for imported cars where there is no room to fit a standard sized plate then you can fit one with smaller 64mm letters.

You may get away with smaller plates/letters 99% of the time but sooner or later a cop who is bored and has nothing better to do will stop you and you'll be £30 (maybe more now) poorer :cry:

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Its illegal to fit plates with anything other than the standard sized lettering and spacing if there is provision for normal sized number plates to be fitted to the car. The only exception is for imported cars where there is no room to fit a standard sized plate then you can fit one with smaller 64mm letters.

You may get away with smaller plates/letters 99% of the time but sooner or later a cop who is bored and has nothing better to do will stop you and you'll be £30 (maybe more now) poorer :cry:

Its a 60 pound fine now

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

nevins

What is classed as 1/4 plates??

Sorry mate meant 3/4, its 3/4 te size of the original, here is what they look like.

8416_100322593326134_100000451808636_6457_545723_n.jpg

the blue mkiv has a 3/4 mine was stock at that time, and below is the 3/4. As you can see it is quite a bit smaller but not ridiculous in size drop. We tend to fit them to most mkivs as its neater and leaves the aperture open for air flow.

35428_136805536344506_100000451808636_277479_72926_n.jpg

mcdatkyid

upto now my reg plate is in my window but looking to loose the front plate holder and mesh the front grill! any ideas what u guys would suggest relocation wise?

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I was stopped with a smaller show plate on the front, he said his ANPR camera couldn't read the plate so it was too small, and yes, he did have a tape measure and did size it up, would have been a £60 fine but let me off with one of those defect notices you have to take to an MOT garage for them to sign then I sent it off.

May 7, 2011
North East, UK
I was stopped with a smaller show plate on the front, he said his ANPR camera couldn't read the plate so it was too small, and yes, he did have a tape measure and did size it up, would have been a £60 fine but let me off with one of those defect notices you have to take to an MOT garage for them to sign then I sent it off.

Damn ... :cry::-o

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise