Strange revs on 1.2 engine

Aug 31, 2010
Lurgan, Northern Ireland
Bit of a strange one this...

Today on my way to college I stopped at a set of traffic lights and put the car in neutral.
Then the car started to shudder and the revs dropped as if it was going to stall, then they revved up again to about 1500 before going back to normal.

Anyone know the cause? Its the first time this has happened. :S

Cheers,
Jonny

Stokie

Mk3 Leon Fr184
May 24, 2010
Stoke
Perfectly normal, mines the 1.4 16v sport & does this every now & again, even revs its self up on cold mornings the idles normally ;)

matty_glanza

Aug 15, 2011
Cheshire
Mines done this an every so after the engine management light will come on for a couple of days then go off but still runs sweet as a nut so I just ignore it

Aug 31, 2010
Lurgan, Northern Ireland
Didnt seem normal to me. Was like the car had a mind of its own lol.

Could well be coilpacks on there way out actually. They havent been changed during my ownership, so I suppose they could be due a change. :/

Avim28

Oct 24, 2010
Manchester, UK
From what iv read.. u change one coil pack, soon enough another will go and another soon after. I changed all of mine in one go after the AA kindly charged me £60 to change one! dohh! kept the other 2 just in case ;) Regarding the engine idling, mines a 1.2 and seems to do it quiet often, even with new coil packs but once its settled its not caused any major issues of note, so as far as i am aware... Not to worrry! :D

Vibe

Quality over Quantity
Aug 24, 2011
Cambridge
i had same problem i took it to garage and they said its chatter from the gear box as you'll find if you put foot down on clutch it goes, if it is that then i solved it by putting my fan on the first notch just to keep the revs up a tad and it stops :)

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Is there any way of picking out which coilpack is faulty or is it best to replace the lot at the same time?
Was just about to ask that lol... :)
VCDS (VAG-COM) should tell you. It definitely will if the misfire is bad enough to leave a fault code. It will say which cylinder is misfiring.

My Ibiza did a bit of misfiring on start up a few times, I swapped coilpacks 1 and 2 around and it never did it again :shrug:

Aug 31, 2010
Lurgan, Northern Ireland
Cheers everyone! I'll have to find someone with VCDS then.

Hasn't happened since, but tbf I haven't driven it much since. Surely if it was something like coil packs, it would happen all the time.

VWscooby

Apr 20, 2008
Durham
You would think so wouldnt you! Nope the coilpacks have a mind of their own. Change them all then just forget about......you know it makes sense ;)

Avim28

Oct 24, 2010
Manchester, UK
Cheers everyone! I'll have to find someone with VCDS then.

Hasn't happened since, but tbf I haven't driven it much since. Surely if it was something like coil packs, it would happen all the time.

Not too sure if the VAGCOM will actually show a fault unless the engine fault light is on :shrug: as far as i know.. until a coilpack actually has gone the fault code will show.. n you will know if ones gone because the car will run like its been kicked in the nuts! :cry:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.