Adjust wipers

KFC91

Feb 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
www.facebook.com
Hi Guys,

I have noticed that one of my wipers, when you lift it up (say to wash the car) is so close to the bonnet that it has rubbed my paintwork off. Admittedly I haven't done anything about this for a while and I was planning on mentioning it to the garage when it goes in for its service next month. But..does anyone know how I adjust them myself...and if my warranty would cover me to get the paintwork corrected?

Thanks

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
Theres nothing wrong with them. You need to put them in,service position. Think you tap the wiper stalk down when you take the key out. Unfortunatley your going to have to live with the paint as SEAT will probably laugh at you :)

KFC91

Feb 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
www.facebook.com
Theres nothing wrong with them. You need to put them in,service position. Think you tap the wiper stalk down when you take the key out. Unfortunatley your going to have to live with the paint as SEAT will probably laugh at you :)

So why does the other one not do it? :S I thought i read somewhere that all seats have a lifetime bodywork warranty...no?

adambolus

Apr 2, 2011
Ripley, Derbyshire
Yeah it.has warranty against premature rust or paint flatting.
If you caused it yourself its not covered.

Like Adam said.there is a service mode which puts the wipers vertical so you can pull them back.

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
It's such a small scratch (I've done this to mine my self) that wont even notice it usually, especially as it's under the lip of the bonnet.

If your determined to sort it though, grab your self a touch up stick from your dealer and give it a brush over.

In future, with the wiper stalk in OFF position, turn the ignition on, then back off again and lift the stalker up one click - the wipers will wipe half way and allow you to take them off the windscreen without scratching the body work

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
This is what the service mode is designed for, so unfortunately there is little you can do as whether or not you caused the damage it does come down to 'user error'... sorry

char_baby

Charlotte :)
Apr 26, 2010
Hampshire
You don't need to tell the dealer as they'll know what to do with it being called 'service mode' this is one reason though why I don't go to many hand car washes as most try to force the wiper up.

paulfs

Nov 10, 2009
New Forest, HANTS
isn't the problem that this damage has been caused by the wipers over sweeping when you use them? if so then i'd imagine your garage would correct the sweep for you easily enough, plead a case & they may not charge if part of a service, particularly if you use them regular.
I doubt any warranty would cover this type of damage, but read any warranty's T&C's first, you never know - then ask, again if your a regular you mau get discounted work etc etc...

best of luck.

char_baby

Charlotte :)
Apr 26, 2010
Hampshire
The damage is caused by the wiper on the drivers side being partly under the top of the bonnet. So you can't fully lift it up like the passenger side, if you do lift it up and force it you scrape off paint.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I put a little strip of "bike tape" along the bonnet edge where the wipers would hit.
Not because I didn't know about the service position, but because when I was a student drunk people always though it was funny to put the wipers up on all the cars in the street.

paulfs

Nov 10, 2009
New Forest, HANTS
true, but unlikely - old enough to have learnt over my years with many a faux-pas to read the manual or check on here first... :rofl: finally learning don't know everything :rofl:

MK5-KXE

Old School
Dec 7, 2011
Canterbury
You don't need to tell the dealer as they'll know what to do with it being called 'service mode' this is one reason though why I don't go to many hand car washes as most try to force the wiper up.

went to my local one and they tried forcing the wiper up. the guy cleaning the car even said he had one of the MK5 cupra's. i just informed him how to do it, and then showed him the scrape under the lip of my car and i didnt have to pay for the wash as i said he caused that damage... ;) i didnt notice it before.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that this is what is called a design error, maybe "service position" is fine for Southern climate/conditions, but in the freezing North, it can pose a problem if the wipers have frozen.

Last edited:

t.oldaker

SFS Performance Hoses Rep
Jul 5, 2011
Bournemouth
www.facebook.com
until i knew about the service posistion i used to just put the wipers on and turn the ignition off when they got to the vertical position. Just had to make sure i put them down before i turned the car back on or they would wipe and hit the paint when up :p

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
spray with de-icer?

In Northern climes just how long do you think that would take to free the wipers, plus even after they are free, there will remain a ridge of ice. All that is easy to sort out quickly if you can ease the wipers up to break free from the ice then chip the ice away.

Ita aways good practice to make sure that the wiper are free before switching the ignition on - just in case you have forgotten to do something the night before!

I'd reckon that there is no defence for this mess up, if it was to improve airflow then both wipers would foul the bonnet lip - it just looks like someone made a mistake at the design phase.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.