Leon Cupra 1.8t 180 Intercooler Limit

Smallz

Does anyone know if the 1.8t 180bhp intercooler is the same as the 225bhp model?

And what the standard intercooler limits are with regard to charge air temp affecting the bhp output.

Also, upgrading to HID 6k headlights, can the housing withstand the temperature, (if much higher)?

Many thanks

Smallz

Seat Leon Cupra 2002 1.8t 180

the leon 180 has 1 side mount and the cupra r has 2 1 either side so no they dont handle the same power but a standard intercooler is fine for around 225bhp front mounts capable of running upto 450bhp (claimed) can cost around £175+

lots and lots of people use hids with no problems so i would say 6k will be no problem at all.

cupra-barn

It's all about stealth!
Aug 4, 2010
Worcester
The 180 single side mount also has the very restrictive pancake pipe whereas the 210/225 has the charge pipe so no restrictions in cooler pipe work.

The inlet manifold also goes down the passenger side to account for the 2 coolers whereas the 180 inlet manifold goes down the drivers side to the single cooler.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
The 180 single side mount also has the very restrictive pancake pipe whereas the 210/225 has the charge pipe so no restrictions in cooler pipe work.

The inlet manifold also goes down the passenger side to account for the 2 coolers whereas the 180 inlet manifold goes down the drivers side to the single cooler.

It isnt actually restrictive.... you wont get any more bhp by replacing it. Pain in the arse when it comes off though :D

Smallz

Many thanks guys for your inputs.

I am looking at purchasing the front mount intercoolet, (not the full on forge one) but the one that has both inlet and outlet on one side.

My current plans are silit forge DV, forge air intake pipe, neuspeed induction, custom scoop and hose from bumper to filter, decat, and now looks like intercooler.

does anyone know the safe working limit of the K03s turbo? I've heard around 240bhp.

If coming to replace with K04, i assume the manifold will need replacing to fit the K04, will the downpipe (tubo exhaust outlet) be bigger?

S15YCE

Sep 15, 2011
Hereford
IMHO I wouldnt bother with the forge split R DV.

I have the forge 006p (similar to 007 & 008).

When combining this with a Jetex cone filter (they seem to be the most popular for our cars) there is more than enough noise from the DV and sounds pretty much the same and as loud as an atmospheric dump valve does.

Also I have fitted a creation motosport TIP from ebay which is a quality built item and alot cheaper than the forge part.

I got a stage 1 map from p-torque and also Milltek cat-back zorst fitted at same time. Apparently the cat back zorst makes no difference to power it just looks and sounds much nicer (the main restrictions in the exhaust are the cat and the downpipe which has a small and restrictive diameter, changing these will free up a few bhp and is a requirement for stage 2 map).

The RR produced 240lb/ft and 210bhp with these mods; +30 bhp & + 60 lb/ft from standard very happy.

In regard to the air scoop you have to balance two facts.

1. That the more pipework you have after the MAF the higher the static so it will be harder for the engine/turbo to suck the air in because of this.

2. The cooler the air being sucked in the more dense it will be and in turn produce more power because of this.

I have read that cone filters which are fitted pretty much directly on to the MAF are best in winter and for summer it is best to fit the airbox as this is the most efficient method for getting cooler air in.

jladha01

Many thanks guys for your inputs.

I am looking at purchasing the front mount intercoolet, (not the full on forge one) but the one that has both inlet and outlet on one side.

My current plans are silit forge DV, forge air intake pipe, neuspeed induction, custom scoop and hose from bumper to filter, decat, and now looks like intercooler.

does anyone know the safe working limit of the K03s turbo? I've heard around 240bhp.

If coming to replace with K04, i assume the manifold will need replacing to fit the K04, will the downpipe (tubo exhaust outlet) be bigger?

The exhaust manifold will need to be changed to a BAM engine one. (LCR or S3). Also Will @ PTORQUE recommends to get a turbo-back exhaust with FMIC to get the best gains. Also I think you would need injectors from the BAM engine. With a custom remap, gains are expected 270-280bhp and it is a safe set up!

534N

May 26, 2013
welshpool
Is there any gains converting to the twin coolers and how much work is involved, what else would I need to buy as I have brought a twin system off ebay

Last edited:

nd-photo.nl

Mar 6, 2012
The Netherlands
www.nd-photo.nl
Looks like a proper piece of kit. Dual pass will give more flow drop, but should cool a bit better. Single pass has higher flow.

I think it should be enough for 250-260bhp

I have read that cone filters which are fitted pretty much directly on to the MAF are best in winter and for summer it is best to fit the airbox as this is the most efficient method for getting cooler air in.

This will not matter much, a proper air charge cooler (fmic) will do way more than the placement of the air filter. The incoming air is superheated by the turbo anyway.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.