Ibiza FR tdi engine stutter

chris980

I have a 56 plate Ibiza FR tdi with 54k on the clock and when accelerating, the car seems to stutter/shudder (mainly between 1500 & 2500 rpm) and it really takes the fun out of driving it and is very frustrating.

I have read around a few forums and threads and it all points to the EGR.

Basically, has anyone had this problem and how easy is it to fix? How much would it cost to fix?

Thanks.

J44APX

No Smoke - No Poke
Oct 31, 2011
Boston
Is your engine code BLT ?
Because to me sounds more like BLT Stutter if its doing it around 1500RPM And 2000RPM

:think:

chris980

Is your engine code BLT ?
Because to me sounds more like BLT Stutter if its doing it around 1500RPM And 2000RPM

:think:

Yea it is BLT, sorry forgot to mention. Do you know how much it costs to fix?

J44APX

No Smoke - No Poke
Oct 31, 2011
Boston
£1.90 for the gasket
2 options:
1. Between half an hour to an hour of swearing to yourself:censored:

2. Pass it to a vag and he will charge you around £30 :clap:

Up to you :whistle:

chris980

£1.90 for the gasket
2 options:
1. Between half an hour to an hour of swearing to yourself:censored:

2. Pass it to a vag and he will charge you around £30 :clap:

Up to you :whistle:

Thanks mate, I will have a look for the gasket mentioned in the threads and try and get it fitted asap. Hopefully it will cure the problem. Thanks again

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
I must have been lucky when I fitted my £1.90 gasket as it only took me 10 minutes to do...however I did cheat a little...I cut two slots to the bolt holes so that I could slide the gasket in, rather than have to take the EGR pipe off. I should add, that tip was given to me by the VW parts guy when I bought the BLT gasket.

Here's a link which will help a little I'm sure

Last edited:

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
TBH I didn't really have a stuttering problem in the first place, I was just trying to reduce my EGR as much as possible without getting a dashboard warning light. I did notice afterwards though that coming down through the gears from speed to make sharp turn, the gear changing was a lot smoother and less jerky. I think acceleration gear changes were smoother - but not by much. I'd be surprised if fitting the gasket doesn't make your car smoother.

Have you got a BLT engine in your car? I wonder if Seat would fit the gasket for free for you?

Last edited:

chris980

TBH I didn't really have a stuttering problem in the first place, I was just trying to reduce my EGR as much as possible without getting a dashboard warning light. I did notice afterwards though that coming down through the gears from speed to make sharp turn, the gear changing was a lot smoother and less jerky. I think acceleration gear changes were smoother - but not by much. I'd be surprised if fitting the gasket doesn't make your car smoother.

Have you got a BLT engine in your car? I wonder if Seat would fit the gasket for free for you?

Yes I have the BLT engine. I bought the car from an Evans Halshaw Vauxhall Dealer and took out warranty, but with it being a Seat car I'm not sure if they will know exactly what they are looking for, and if it will be covered by the warranty or not. I think I'll take it in next week and see if they can do anything with it.

J44APX

No Smoke - No Poke
Oct 31, 2011
Boston

I dont think seat will do it for free - as i read some where it mess's with the emmisions and euro technology that comes as standard from factory. Have a read on briskoda its common as muck on there as the vrs is BLT.

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
If you go to a Seat main dealer you can order the gasket for under two quid and talk to them about the problem. I'd try the gasket first before anything else.

I know a lot of people get stung by main dealer prices but for the vast majority of Seat dealers I'd guess they know about your car, its engine and its common problems. I must add I am extremely sceptical about Seat main dealers prices/services in general but think they will understand the problem you describe and very well may know what will fix it.

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
I dont think seat will do it for free - as i read some where it mess's with the emmisions and euro technology that comes as standard from factory. Have a read on briskoda its common as muck on there as the vrs is BLT.
You might be right there re the cost of fitting. I don't even have the BLT engine in mine but I fitted the gasket and it made an improvement for me that's for sure, plus it helped with reducing the EGR.

Poochy

Ooo my...
Dec 4, 2007
Cardiff
By stuttering do you guys mean, the same stutter you get if you try and do 30mph in 4th? Where the revs are sitting around 1,500. I find I need to stay in 3rd for 30mph because of it.

I got a 07 cupra

chris980

By stuttering do you guys mean, the same stutter you get if you try and do 30mph in 4th? Where the revs are sitting around 1,500. I find I need to stay in 3rd for 30mph because of it.

I got a 07 cupra

For me it's whenever I try to put my foot down a bit it stutters a lot. I had it in for a timing belt a couple of weeks ago and they saw something wrong with the wiring to the mass air flow sensor (I think it's called) which seemed to cure it to a certain extent but it's back to stuttering/shaking again. It's going in for a service the week after next so I'm going to get them to check it out then and get it sorted. It's doing my head in now!

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
My cupra tdi does this im runing the full hybrid set up so no egr ect more so when the out side temperature is cold getting fairly irritating now tried everything and still no cure

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.