300lb-ft on standard rods is the 'limit'? think again.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Logically as the mk4 platform etc are getting older , this is going to become far more common, Nailing it from low rpm in higher gears will also be a deciding factor!

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Where's the notion that 300lb-ft is OK for LCRs originate - I mean, holy crap, the engine was specc'ed for 200lb-ft, so who came up with the bright idea that 300 is fine??

Should be named and shamed. And 'dealt with'...

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Not really. Loads of other makes out there run high torque figures without the engine exploding. My astra VXR was running 295bhp/350lbft without any rod issues.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Its not only the high torque levels but regular and proper servicing comes in too
I have a 2000 S3 (APY) with 92k when i bought it it was overdue a service and had engine problems
After stripping today this is what we found
2012-03-16171557.jpg

2012-03-16171620.jpg

Dirty oil full of contaminents blocking lubrication point on crank, causing no lube and resulting in overheating and failure
Just some food for thought

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire

CupraTim

Dec 13, 2010
Southampton - Hampshire
I am having very similar symptoms and now getting a little scared! Im getting cylinder 3 misfire - changed the coil packs, changed the spark plugs, cleaned all the wiring, still misfiring. I need a compression test - now I'm worried it could be the rods :/

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Perhaps the notion that '300lb-ft is fine' for an LCR stems from the Mk2 Focus ST?

Mountune offers a Ford-backed 295lb-ft remap (+ air filter and intercooler upgrade) that did not/does not invalidate Ford's warranty.

No idea whether or not the ST's rods are forged, although perhaps it's worth considering that the ST has a five-cylinder, 2.5-litre motor to dissipate the 295lb-ft load? (But, allegedly, the ST's drive-shafts can't handle 295lb-ft medium- to long-term.)

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
Perhaps the notion that '300lb-ft is fine' for an LCR stems from the Mk2 Focus ST?

Mountune offers a Ford-backed 295lb-ft remap (+ air filter and intercooler upgrade) that did not/does not invalidate Ford's warranty.

No idea whether or not the ST's rods are forged, although perhaps it's worth considering that the ST has a five-cylinder, 2.5-litre motor to dissipate the 295lb-ft load? (But, allegedly, the ST's drive-shafts can't handle 295lb-ft medium- to long-term.)

unlikely as the idea pre-dates the ST

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Wtf rods don't cause a missfire if bent they will knock and have a tapping sound , so you don't need a compression test

It is possible , a bent rod will pull a piston short of its original TDC lowering its original claimed compression & causing a missfire, which on a lower compression forced induction engine is more apparent a bad thing!

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.