Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I've managed to find 5 possibilities...

AGR
AHF
ALH
ARL
ASV

these were from here which would be pretty useful if it had a bit more information on the engines. Anyone able to confirm deny any for me please?

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Just found my sticker in my boot and it says ASV, although on the VW system apparently it says ASV is PD! So... anyone able to confirm deny still?! I love this convo I'm having with myself :D

sicupra

alright jay?
if you have a plastic cover on the head ( top) of your main block of your engine, take it off.
You should be able to see it there sumwhere.
3 letters as uve probly figured by now.
On the older models its on the left hand side of the head towards the front, bout 7 o'clockish if it was a circle. know what I mean!!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
ASV is definitely not PD, none of the 110 engines are PD. Their distinguishing characteristic over the original TDI 90 is the VNT turbocharger. I have an ASV in my 51-plate Toledo TDI 110 SE, so I can say this for certain :)

However, a TDI 110 Leon could have any one of several different engines in - somewhere there will be a list of the engines they were built with, but I can't look for it right now. Knowing the year of manufacture will narrow it down a bit.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
A quick look at Elsawin indicates that a TDI 110 Leon should have an AHF or ASV engine. Post MY02, only ASV. No, I don't know what the difference is . . .

TDI Leon's might also have:

ALH or AGR (TDI 90)
ASZ (TDI 130)(and PD)
ARL (TDI 150)(and also PD)

leontdisx

Mar 13, 2010
Hi. i have just purchased another leon. its a 2000 S.E 110. my 110 sx on an 03 is an asv engine i was wondering what the interchangeability of the turbo's is like on the 110's as i am looking to fit a better one on my SX and use the old one to replace a knacked on on the S.E

so two questions really.

what turbo is a nice ugrade to the standard vnt one on my 03 sx thats no silly money

and

will the turbo thats currently on the 03 sx fit the 00 S.E

they are both 110's and have vnt turbos so there cant be any huge differences can there?

James

Samalex

i have a 2001 1.9tdi se 110 asv engine in mine its also in my log book as asv and named on my documents as an ASV engine

hope that helps

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Turbos should be interchangeable across ASV engines. However I'm sure I saw something the other day about there being more than one brand of turbo on the ASV, and I don't know if the map is the same for both.

If you replace the turbo with anything else you will also need to budget for a remap to make it work properly with your engine.

dedon

Aug 31, 2011
Hi. Im just curios. My tdi is an ALH. Does this mean it is 90bhp and does you know if it is PD. Furthermore what is the main difference in PD and "not PD":p. Sorry, still new to tdi's.haha

leontdisx

Mar 13, 2010
thanks. its a garrett turbo i need. if anyone has a vnt garret turbo for a 110hp engine for sale pm me!!

james

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
dedon wrote

Hi. Im just curios.

What, no antiques?

My tdi is an ALH. Does this mean it is 90bhp and does you know if it is PD.

ALH is a distributor pump TDI 90 engine. Not PD.

I have never seen a PD TDI 90 or 110.

Furthermore what is the main difference in PD and "not PD"

A completely different fuel delivery and injection system.

Have a look at this thread for a couple of pictures.

This article on myturbodiesel is a good summary of the differences between VAG diesel engine designs

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.