starting problem

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Using VCDS you can check crank speed which should be 280 rpm. If below this then remove battery leads and clean all body connection/earth points, then reconnect and protect with vaseline or suchlike. Then if the crank speed remains low check the battery, make sure it's giving enough amps to spin the engine over fast enough. If not then a new battery.

If the low crank speed problem still exists after these measures then it's a new starter motor.

digby130?

pocket rocket
Aug 10, 2008
exeter/london
It started doing this after the new turbo...before the stage 2 map
The atage one map was on there for 50k!
I've already drop tested the battery and the results were fine!
Will have to get the crank speeds before I take to the garage to replace te starter motor!
I've also had the head and injectors cleaned (replacing the seals at the same time) and they are fine so reckon it can only be crank sensor or starter motor!
Also changed the engine temp sensor so it's not that either!!
Thanks for the replies fellas! Much apreciated!! If anyone has any more insight i would love it! :)

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
It could be a fuel issue though or the glow plug circuit messing about, I'm not sure if it works the same on the pd engines but on the older ones like mine you can unplug the coolant temp sensor and if it starts fine then it shows a problem with the glow plugs or wiring. It works because it forces the glow plugs to stay on for longer as a default thing if the sensor's unplugged. I wouldn't have thought the crank speed was an issue if it starts fine when cold as that's when it's more likely to be groggy at turning over.:)

digby130?

pocket rocket
Aug 10, 2008
exeter/london
When the pd engines are hot, the glow plugs aren't activated, the engine has to reach 270 rpm to start, which it's not doing so didn't think it could be a glow plug issue... Where abouts is the coolant temp sensor? Is that te same as the engine temp sensor (at the back right)?
(ive already replaced the engine temp sensor)
I'll see if anyone is free Monday night near me to scan it :)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
If you're not getting the crank speed required then see my post above. It's not the coolant sender, glowplugs, or suchlike.

When hot the starter motor windings cause increased resistance which slows the crank speed to below critical value and the engine won't start.

digby130?

pocket rocket
Aug 10, 2008
exeter/london
If you're not getting the crank speed required then see my post above. It's not the coolant sender, glowplugs, or suchlike.

When hot the starter motor windings cause increased resistance which slows the crank speed to below critical value and the engine won't start.

my thinkings excactly!!

mexicorich

Apr 17, 2006
Hartlepool
Has this been solved?
My PD130 also became bad to start when hot
I'm reading up on the Hammand Mod to trick the ECU into a different map if the engine can't reach 280rpm when hot
has anyone tried this?

rob_65

Sep 3, 2009
My remapped TDI Cupra is exactly the same when starting from hot.
Good to know replacing the starter motor will likely be a fix - thanks.

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Just to point out there can't be faults other than the starter motor.

When I bought my old Octavia TDI I found it was never any good starting hot. It was fine even on freezing cold mornings.

The problem was the previous owner had fitted an incorrectly rated battery. It was too weak. Reason this problem didn't show from cold was because the glow plugs would function at low temperatures to assist the battery in starting the engine.

Fitted the correct one and it was perfect from then on.