Freetrack TDI injector replacement

mike55

May 31, 2010
Hi all

Thought you would be interested in that I have just had a service at my local Seat dealer and they told me there was an outstanding recal, despite the fact I had not had any notification from Seat. They checked the injectors and replaced all 4 of them. I had not had any problems other than the occsional slightly rough running which I put down to the DPF regenerating, as it soon went away.

At least now the worry of suddenly stopping for a defective injector is removed. As a bonus I now have brand new injectors which must be better and more efficient than the 27K mile ones removed.

Last edited:

mike55

May 31, 2010
Hi

Yes mine is a 170 BHP TDI engine. I am not sure if the other engines have the same issue with its injectors. This is a known problem with these engines in the whole VAG group for a particular model of injector. I read about it over a year ago when VAG were being pushed into a recal. My Seat dealer knew nothing about it then and were suggesting it was an internet scare story. I believe it also involves replacement of the electric feed harnes. I have heard the cost is in the area of £1500. This is not surprising as an ordinary injector for my daughters Nissan was nearly £300.

I am told Seat will be contacting the owners of cars that are involved. It might be worth a call to them to check.

Harold251

so what is the problem?

mike55

May 31, 2010
The main problem is that there has found to be problems with the injectors and harness which can cause the ECU to shut down the engine. This could be at any time not just tick over. Some cars have shut down at speed. They could cause rough running but dont confuse this with the rough running caused be DPF regeneration.

Henning

My Freetrack went in because it's head lamp washers didn't work, when it came back I was told about the issue and that they replaced the injectors etc while it was in. Good service from Seat.

Chris_in_London

I took my Freetrack in for a MOT and 70,000 mile service and had the replacement injectors fitted as part of the safety recall (never had any problems with the old injectors). Now my fuel economy appears to have improved by 10% - good news if it stays that way

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
Piezo injector issu

Good to see that finally, after a whole raft of complaints worldwide VAG has done what it should have done years ago and sorted this serious issue.
There was a case where a woman accompanied by her children at the time experienced a complete engine shut down while in the outside lane of a motorway and only by a mixture of good luck and skill did she manage to navigate to the hard shoulder without colliding with other users. The ECU shut down the engine because one injector failed. I think this was the incident that finally forced VAG's hand. That and probably VAG getting the supplier of the Piezo injectors to foot the rectification bill.

This is not an isolated issue. There's a well documented separate issue to do with failure of the drive to the oil pump on many of the 2.0TDI PD engines, which VAG has ignored here in Euro land - some talk of VAG having bowed to pressure in the USA, though. The reported costs of rectification to the huge number of unfortunates affected has been an eye watering £2000/3000 in almost all cases.
Unlike the Piezo injector issue, which took a Health and Safety intervention there's no such issue here, so VAG has turned a blind eye. Also, unlike the Piezo case VAG doesn't have someone else to blame (the issue arose from an in-house design flaw), so an admission by VAG would have led to it having to under write all of the rectification costs. So far, no sign that it's going to do that.