Metallic black Leon FR - cleaning kits?

barneyclyro

Mar 24, 2012
Manchester
Afternoon folks. Anyone got advice on wax/polish for cleaning my black 08 FR? Blacks a bugger but when clean he's a beaut.*

I need...car shampoo, sponge, microfiber cloth, polish/wax. Any advice on cleaning the int/ext would be great too, having had a banger before to the Leon I've not got any of this stuff!*

I cleaned today with neighbours triple wax shampoo and rinsed followed by windscreen washed windows and quick hoovered the inside but a showroom style polish is needed! Are there any full cleaning kits advised?

Thanks in advance guys :)

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
This area is a mine field! It all depends on how much time and money you want to spend.
Have a loo at the forums at www.detailingworld.com

Start off with a wash mitt (lambs wool or microfibre)
I use Megs car shampoo (just changed from gold class to NXT)
I use autoglym super resin polish and have just bought autoglym deep shine polish for dark cars.

There's loads more stuff you can do (claying, wax, machine polishing, sealants etc)
That site above is very good and has a lot of guides

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

barneyclyro

Mar 24, 2012
Manchester
Aup mr bubba! Nice one.
Minimal money but will fork out if it's gonna get me that showroom shine happily. Whenever I clean it I'll have plenty of time, while I'm in the honeymoon period anyway! Will have a look at that site, mainly curious as to what others use if they've tried several different options and really do get a lasting shine with black. I'll look into your stuff! What the hell does claying etc do?! Extensive wax/shine polish?*

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Aup mr bubba! Nice one.
Minimal money but will fork out if it's gonna get me that showroom shine happily. Whenever I clean it I'll have plenty of time, while I'm in the honeymoon period anyway! Will have a look at that site, mainly curious as to what others use if they've tried several different options and really do get a lasting shine with black. I'll look into your stuff! What the hell does claying etc do?! Extensive wax/shine polish?*

The clay bar removes particles attached to the paint, you can get different types (soft, medium, aggressive)
I did mine for the first time the other day using megs claying kit and the paint was nice and smooth afterwards.

There are people far more up on this than me, as I'm still figuring out what works on my car (just spent another 40 quid today on stuff!)

Wire_Gal

Sep 20, 2010
Warrington, cheshire
Hi!

A good quality shampoo and something other than a sponge to wash it down with is a good start (I watched my neighbour use a kitchen scouring sponge last week.. ouch) I use a lambswool mitt.

Poorboys Black Hole Glaze is really good! Also fills any light swirling too.

Two bucket method is a good habit to get into as keeps the muck off your car :) I could go on and on....

Here is a link with some good advice... http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-advice.html

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
+1 for detailing world.

Use a good quality mitt and i would agree i have been using megs gold class and it does clean really well without stripping the wax you put on last week.

things that made a difference in my black fr were claying it to remove all the tar and debris that sticks to your car. Get a decent polish also , autoglym super resin polish is ready available from halfords.

it will mask some of the swirls that really make look dull.

THE BEST PRODUCT i have used so far is gtechniq p1 polish. you can apply it by hand with one of there hand applicators. really made the fleck pop on my black fr.
You can get it here : http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/gtechniq-p1-nano-composite-polish/prod_844.html

its water based so wont stain trim like nomal polish.

fr2.jpg

09092010008.jpg

fr32.jpg

fr1.jpg

fr4.jpg

Black is hard work but does look really nice .

barneyclyro

Mar 24, 2012
Manchester
Nice one guys! I read one article and they suggested Autoglym shampoo for the clean and NXT tech wax. So now I've got choices...

Haha a scour, as if. Crig that looks mint mate, good work! Love the alloys and callipers. 17s or 18s?

NXT tech wax vs Gtechniq p1? How do you apply wax? Do I need any cleaning 'utensils' to apply it best or is it a hand job? Hand job. Ha...

Wire_Gal

Sep 20, 2010
Warrington, cheshire
Nice one guys! I read one article and they suggested Autoglym shampoo for the clean and NXT tech wax. So now I've got choices...

Haha a scour, as if. Crig that looks mint mate, good work! Love the alloys and callipers. 17s or 18s?

NXT tech wax vs Gtechniq p1? How do you apply wax? Do I need any cleaning 'utensils' to apply it best or is it a hand job? Hand job. Ha...

Lol hand jobs all the way for wax!!

I used NXT Tech wax and I really wasnt impressed with it. It was a chore to get it off, even using the smallest amount (less is more with wax, build up coats if necessary) I used Dodo Juice, Light Fantastic.. but the Purple Haze for dark cars is fab. You can buy a panel pot of it for around £6 on ebay and it does about three to four applications.

You can apply the Dodo Juice with your fingers, it goes on really well and buffs off easily. Collinite is also a fab wax.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
After washing etc I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish then AG HD Wax and that works a treat. In between "proper" polishing and waxing I've been washing with AG Shampoo, rinsing and then applying AG Aqua Wax to keep things tip-top. Does the job nicely and saves a bit of time. :)

Last edited:

barneyclyro

Mar 24, 2012
Manchester
Found a 250ml dodo juice purple haze soft wax for £29.90, might buy right away. Does it smell good?!

It comes with a free foam application pad...? Anyone?

And does anybody have any good interior oust kind of products to suggest to keep it smellin like it's straight out of the dealers?

I hope this honeymoon period ends soon, costing me loads!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mbm4he

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Mine after snow foam, rinse, clay bar and then the quick wax that came with the clay kit. Took a few hours

P1000795.jpg

P1000791.jpg

Last edited:

Wire_Gal

Sep 20, 2010
Warrington, cheshire
Found a 250ml dodo juice purple haze soft wax for £29.90, might buy right away. Does it smell good?!

It comes with a free foam application pad...? Anyone?

And does anybody have any good interior oust kind of products to suggest to keep it smellin like it's straight out of the dealers?

I hope this honeymoon period ends soon, costing me loads!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mbm4he

That will last ages! Its smells really nice, all of the dodo juice does.

The foam pads are ok that you get but it goes on better with your fingers and you dont use as much :)

California Scents are lovely air fresheners.. and the usual no eating or smoking will keep it smelling nice with regular cleaning :):)

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire

Autoglym do a Silicone Spray for the interior which makes it smell like a new car. They also do a couple of sprays for the interior plastics etc that smell like Apples and Citrus. I tried the Citrus one last week. Smells nice! :D

Last edited:
Buy the panel pots if you want to try dodo wax, personally supernatural is great on black, have a look at the basics of bling range too. For a good first kit try something like born to be mild, lime prime and supernatural wax. Get a good was MIT or sponge, supernatural sponge is good and then use a microfiber wash MIT for the bottom of the car. Buy a good quality drying towel too.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members