Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Hmm, full cage indeed!

Nice parts though, the cam increase certainly looks like it will be mad.

n11tht

Mar 17, 2009
under the bonnet
IMG_0235.jpg

Theres something about pictures of engine parts that gets me excited, do I have a problem?

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Yeah i'm gonna vote full cage as well.
When this beast is done you're gonna want all the noises! ;-)

100++HP from cams you say? Nice. Makes me wonder what it'll put out in total once finished... :-D

Cheers Poliq, i've been busy today stripping more of the car out in preparation for the install of the front cage part.
And those cams are suppose to really let the 20v head breath, who needs Vtec :cart man:

Get some cracking figures them cams don't they! Full cage ;)

Yeh they certainly do, there some great info on VWVortex too.

He's an vid of them idling - sounds like a lumpy v8 :D -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcaZ09WYCoM

Those cam figures increase sounds brilliant. Is there much benefit changing the cams in a standard head with K04 Turbo do you think?

Oh, and rip it all out, be a shame to weigh it down :cartman:

The bigger the turbo fitted the bigger the gain, this is to do with being able to maximise the flow through the head, but with the k04's they are easily maxed out on standard kit so there's a limit to what they will flow.
And i've decided to rip it all out :D

Another Smallish update -

So after i cleaned out the garage the other week prior to the painting of the car...i dug the compressor out from under my bench and felt a bit sorry for it, covered in an inch of dust and swarf and the pressure switch wasn't working to cut the compressor off.
So i decided to give it a clean up and check it over to check everything was in order before the mammoth task of painting the car.

Found it had a con rod that looked beefier than a 1.8T one :) had to take a couple of photo's -

IMG_0238.jpg

Stripped the "head" down and checked everything over, found everything was covered in dust..... so cleaned it all up and also found some scores in the bore -

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

Cleaned it all up and reassembled, tested all okay and adjusted the pressure switch to cut off at 8 bar.

I then decided to start sanding the wings down, finished the drivers side and then removed it to get in behind it to sand down.

I also removed the boot to get in again to sand, what a pain in the arse that was... thought they would be connections on the loom, but no i had to pull the loom back through the holes in the boot.

IMG_0244.jpg

So i soon got bored of rubbing the car with green scotchbrite so then decided to start looking at where the front part of the cage would join to the bulkhead. Had a good look and found that the metal tube cross brace would be in the way, so i started the mammoth task of removing it.

I started by removing the Airbag slip ring and then the steering wheel controls / stalks then dropped the steering rack down out of the way -

IMG_0253.jpg

After unclipping all the wiring loom and undoing all bolts it still wouldn't budge.... then i found a bolt screwed in from the other side of the bulkhead, inside of the rain tray [:@]

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Had to remove the wiper mechanism to get to the bolt..:censored:

But after that it came out once i untangled all the wiring.

IMG_0257.jpg

Victory shot -

IMG_0259.jpg

After that i pulled a bit of the insulation off -

IMG_0260.jpg

So next weekend i can hopefully start making the front section of the cage and get it welded to the bulkhead, once i've done that i need to make the down sections to run to the floor and then modify the cross member and reinstall it. Probably weld to it for support too.

Anyhow so long for now.

Apr 12, 2008
Just finally got round to reading this thread where i left off. Very awesome, its threads like these that you expect to go away for a while, and when you come back they have been stopped, and the car sold in parts! Good work carrying on!

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Awesome work as always!! :thumbup:

Loving that big box of shiny from IE!

I'm surprised others dont swap cams when going BT :think:

Can't beat a nice shiny box !!! ;) and yeh I'm surprised that others don't go for the cams aswel, thing is there hasn't been any coverage of them on here. Over on VWVortex there's been loads of dyno's comparisons etc etc.

Seeing this build I am starting to miss petrol cars I had before tdi cupra.
Awsome work mate.
MONSTER !!

Thanks Bud :)

I need those cams in my life.

Do it Dan..... but unfortunately there on worldwide back order for ages, i snagged the last set from CTS turbo back at the start of Jan. :p

I'm suprised the rod & piston didn't come out of the compressor, should of stroked it and rebored too.... disappointed.

:lol: yeh i should have at least bored it out :D there's loads of meat on the barrel......

Just finally got round to reading this thread where i left off. Very awesome, its threads like these that you expect to go away for a while, and when you come back they have been stopped, and the car sold in parts! Good work carrying on!

Cheers Mate, i'm not going any where but the missus is about to drop a sprog so it might get pushed back a bit..... there's no rush although i have to keep raining myself in - just keep thinking get it painted then change my mind about the cage and end up delaying the paint job cos i want to finish the cage / paint the inside first.
I just want it finished now but theres still so much to do..... it's not gonna see sunlight this year so may as well push the boat out and build a monster for next summer :D

underpressure

Jan 12, 2012
Germany
graham a buddy told me that SEM has stopped the production of the manifolds. I hope not, i need one too.

Hopefully Issam can refute this statement.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
graham a buddy told me that SEM has stopped the production of the manifolds. I hope not, i need one too.

Hopefully Issam can refute this statement.

I have been in contact with Clay @ CTS and he has been copying me in on the emails, there still in production but i think they might have moved production facilities, i'll give it a while longer as i have one or two jobs left to do before it start the engine up :D

Got my user account for the Maestro 7 software sorted now so i'll download that at the weekend and have a play about with my old windows XP laptop. Don't think it'll run on my Mac.

Going to order some cable / Battery tray etc to relocate the battery to the boot, i'm gonna need to power the car up shortly to read the code from the ECU and send it to the guys at Eurodyne i think.

Right o off to do some searching for cable and a windscreen removal tool that uses wire, so this weekend i can get the smashed front windscreen out to help the front roll cage access for welding to the bulkhead.

Ta tar.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
looks like this will be amazing! ill drive down your end just to ride shotgun in this when its done!!
are these cams overlapping?

No bother although there is a list over on VAGcars forum of people who want scaring :)
And as for the overlapping, i think they don't have as much overlap as normal ones thats why they have a lumpy idle and don't produce as much vacuum at idle :confused:

Small-ish Update -

This week i ordered the stuff to relocate the battery, i went for 50mm2 cable.
I ordered 5M of red and 2M of Black, i also bought loads of crimps, terminals and clamps etc.
I even ordered loads of loom covering split flexible conduit stuff (not pictured)

IMG_0268.jpg

I still need to order a battery tray and a new battery, thinking of getting a optima yellow top as i'll only be using the car occasionally.

I got home nice and early this week so spent a couple of hours in the garage. I started on the front part of the cage.

I ordered some lengths of 40mm CDS steel and some bends, i started tacking them up. I struggled to get the bars high enough due to the height of the rear roll cage.
To get round this i chopped in half one of the bends i ordered and set about cutting the end of it to match the 50mm rear hoop.

I then found the angle of the bends i ordered wasn't quite right, you can see from the pic below it doesn't follow the angle of the A-pillar and roof correctly -

IMG_0261.jpg

I then made a cut in the middle of the angle with a hacksaw and cut a little bit out then tightened the bend up, did this several times until i was a bit happier with the angle, i will fully weld the cage up once I'm happy with the design / fit.

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

So the next step is copy all the dimensions and make the other side, once i've done that I'm going to weld some floor plates in to the foot wells for the uprights behind the dash, and some plates on the bulkhead where the A-pillar support will meet the dash up right.

It'll all become clear when i get it in place.

I'm also planning on door bars and maybe some cross bracing on the roof. I've also decided i'm gonna remove the rear screws / studs and clean up the ends of the roll cage and just weld it in place - it's never gonna come out and it'll help with chassis stiffness.

I'm off to the hospital with the missus now as she's got to go for a check, hopefully get some more done this afternoon.

So long :)

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Nice little update graham, everytime i open this thread and see those cams i think my bank manager cries
With regard to your battery relocation, are you going to have any sort of kill switch?
I made my own battery box as its much better fit for whatever you want, i will be going for the similiar sized yellow top battery when my OE one gives up as they give very good CCA, deep cycle and are dry cell if anything does go wrong.
Have you fully decided on your interior yet? as that cream rear view mirror stands out a bit

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Nice little update graham, everytime i open this thread and see those cams i think my bank manager cries
With regard to your battery relocation, are you going to have any sort of kill switch?
I made my own battery box as its much better fit for whatever you want, i will be going for the similiar sized yellow top battery when my OE one gives up as they give very good CCA, deep cycle and are dry cell if anything does go wrong.
Have you fully decided on your interior yet? as that cream rear view mirror stands out a bit

I have decided on the interior, and its going to be fully stripped out, and painted.... Not decided on the colour yet. Maybe gloss white.

And good spot on the mirror, thats the last piece of nasty cream plastic in the car...not for long though as the windscreens coming out as soon as i get my windscreen removal kit n wire.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Nah i never finished welding it up, i was planning on doing it when the car was away getting painted. but plans changed and i decided to paint the car myself.... so it's still on my to do list !!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.