help my brother with buying a Leon

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I have done some quick basic searches but I don't have very much time (work). My brother wants to buy an 11 plate Leon SE tomorow to drive to work about 30miles each way and I would like to know if the 1.6 derv is the one to go for or not.

He really really wan ts bluetooth so what model will have this as standard?
Will an 11 plate one have problems with it's DPF? I know a lot of the early 1.6 dervs did.

Please don't slag me for not searching, I/we need some info rather quickly and all I have at the moment is a phone and searching is hard.

Thankies.

matty1000kk

Oct 11, 2011
Maybe consider the 1.2 tsi petrol as well. Should be cheaper to buy and it's not much worse then the diesel economy wise. Great little engine :)

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
My 1.2TSi averages about 38-40mpg. Depending on what speed he does on the motorway too, that could be worse. If i do 70mph i'm looking at about 35mpg. Go up to 80 and it will be about 30mpg roughly.
If the diesel was as cheap as the TSi to buy i'd have got that...

matty1000kk

Oct 11, 2011
My 1.2TSi averages about 38-40mpg. Depending on what speed he does on the motorway too, that could be worse. If i do 70mph i'm looking at about 35mpg. Go up to 80 and it will be about 30mpg roughly.
If the diesel was as cheap as the TSi to buy i'd have got that...

I find if I stick to 60mph I can get 50mpg, maybe a little more. 70 is somewhere between 40-45mpg. This is with the option 17" wheels. My current tank average is 45mpg and that is with a good mixture of town and an A road journeys.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I have the 17" fr wheels on mine, i mostly do town driving, and it normally consists of a 20 minute que to travel 200 metres on a morning through Yarm, so that obviously drags the average down a lot, if i didnt que 5 days a week it would probably be around 42-43mpg? But thats still a lot of 30 roads, junctions, traffic lights etc

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I have done some quick basic searches but I don't have very much time (work). My brother wants to buy an 11 plate Leon SE tomorow to drive to work about 30miles each way and I would like to know if the 1.6 derv is the one to go for or not.

He really really wan ts bluetooth so what model will have this as standard?
Will an 11 plate one have problems with it's DPF? I know a lot of the early 1.6 dervs did.

Please don't slag me for not searching, I/we need some info rather quickly and all I have at the moment is a phone and searching is hard.

Thankies.

Copa S has Bluetooth as standard as does the Copa SE, quite a few about at 12.5K as 1.2TSi and 13.5k for the 1.6 Tdi. DPF issues seem to have been sorted main issue people have more so on the Polo and Ibiza is poor fuel economy.

vincent5525

Mechanic
Jul 2, 2011
uk, sheffield
Number one rule when buying any car. Dont rush. Take your time, and check out other brands and models. If you buy a car on a whim you might end up on here slagging it off like a certain audi fan. But then again I absolutley love my SEAT, sure its not got the quality of a Merc/BMW but £pound for £pound you get so much more for your money.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
He test drove a 1.4 TSI 125 today. It was an SE spec on a 10 plate in black magic. I think he's going to buy it.

We got 45MPG on a short motorway trip on the cruise so that was good.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Good choice, the 1.2 is fine in the Ibiza, but not so much in Leon

The 125 1.4 felt just right to give enough power

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Any part ex or finance?

If not, then I'd want £500 off them, more if financed as there will be a kickback in it for them

DAZFR72

Apr 1, 2010
In The Van
The car has about 30k miles on the clock and is up for £8799, what do you think the lowest price the dealer will take for it?

Hard question to answer that as only the dealer knows what margin he has in the car , does your bro have a car to trade in ? Most dealers run between 500 to 1500 on average on margin , best thing to do is go in low and bid up to what you want to pay and if they want a deal then one will be had !! If it was me I'd be starting in the high 7's or early 8,s to gauge a reaction from the stealer !! Good luck

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Hard question to answer that as only the dealer knows what margin he has in the car , does your bro have a car to trade in ? Most dealers run between 500 to 1500 on average on margin , best thing to do is go in low and bid up to what you want to pay and if they want a deal then one will be had !! If it was me I'd be starting in the high 7's or early 8,s to gauge a reaction from the stealer !! Good luck

He has an 02 reg focus estate diesel with 106k on the clock that's a bit of a **** box, we think it's worth about £500.

matty1000kk

Oct 11, 2011
Good choice, the 1.2 is fine in the Ibiza, but not so much in Leon

The 125 1.4 felt just right to give enough power
The 1.2 works fine in the Leon. Its no rocket ship but ceratinly not slow either. Of course the 1.4 TSI is better but the 1.2 is pretty much putting out the same power as the 1.4 book figure according to people that have had them on the rolling road.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
The 1.2 works fine in the Leon. Its no rocket ship but ceratinly not slow either. Of course the 1.4 TSI is better but the 1.2 is pretty much putting out the same power as the 1.4 book figure according to people that have had them on the rolling road.

Fair play getting 125 out of the 1.2tsi thats good news. But, even better news is gettin above 140 bhp standard in 1.4tsi! Its a great engine the 1.4 good milage. Best i got was 56.7 on way home from work 10 miles at peak time.(lucky with the lights maybe!) It picks up speed well even well down in the revs. I also have black magic i love it squillions.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members