Engine Cooling Fans

fossie

Jul 2, 2009
So what controls the fans coming on then according to the temp - is it the fanswitch on the rad?

SubZero

Jan 23, 2011
Midlands
Yeah, that's right, the NIME box only works when the aircon is on.

TBH I have the aircon on most of the time so isn't an issue for me.

From my understanding, that is incorrect. The NIME box and the resistor mod have the same principle, and that is to replace the burnt out resistor in the fan unit. The thermoswitch controls the fans according to engine coolant temperature, and this also activates the slow speed fan at temps of around 92-97°C. Therefore even if aircon is off, slow speed may be required, and the fans will only work on slow speed if the burnt out resistor is replaced by the mod, or the NIME box.

fossie

Jul 2, 2009
You know the part number by any chance for a Cupra 180. Apparently there's 4 to choose from. Or one of your magical eBay links lol

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire
from matt who makes the NIME boxes:

"The accurate description is that the NIME unit replaces the faulty resistor pack. The actual conditions for on/off/slow mode are the same, as these are controlled by the cars fan controller unit."

therefore if they arent spinning slow when the engine gets warm, then the fan controller unit isnt getting the signal, so must be a duff thermoswitch? :shrug:

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
from matt who makes the NIME boxes:

"The accurate description is that the NIME unit replaces the faulty resistor pack. The actual conditions for on/off/slow mode are the same, as these are controlled by the cars fan controller unit."

therefore if they arent spinning slow when the engine gets warm, then the fan controller unit isnt getting the signal, so must be a duff thermoswitch? :shrug:

Don't know - but what I do know is that in the 4 years I've had the Nime box fitted, the fans never spin when the aircon is off!

I would be interested to know if there's something else I need to fix...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.