Seat Leon - Very Weird Braking Problem

Websta

Apr 12, 2011
First experience.....Wet road, bus cuts corner, slam breaks on...abs kicks in........ twitchy arse!

Sast

Feb 17, 2012
Wigan
I know all about ABS, my MG ZR has a broken reluctor ring so every journey they ABS would kick in randomly, not very helpful when you try and slow down gently for a junction and your ABS goes crazy!

I see the experience as practice for when I really need it though :D

Manny

2016 Leon FR 2.0 TDI
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I am happy that this is probably what caused the "weirdness". Having never experienced ABS before, I didn't realise it would be so violent.

At least in future now I know that if it happens to just keep the pressure on the pedal and everything will be fine.

Tom

In my experience in the snow, tapping the brake pedal is alot better in the snow rahter than foot to the floor.
You avoid the abs kicking in but ur pretty much doing what it would be doing in normal conditions :p

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I am happy that this is probably what caused the "weirdness". Having never experienced ABS before, I didn't realise it would be so violent.

At least in future now I know that if it happens to just keep the pressure on the pedal and everything will be fine.

Tom

100000% ABS.

In the dry/Wet if its cutting in then you are breaking like hell for something, keep your foot fully pressed and as you said it'll stop .... however in the snow, at low speed, you'd probably better taking foot off and pressing it slightly more gently, keeping your foot pressed just leads to a solid pedal and very little stopping (as you experienced).

ABS in dry/wet - great :)
ABS in snow at low speed - bloody scary. :( take foot off and try again.

Last edited:

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
Anybody remember there first abs experience? I sure do!!

Yep I thought something was seriously wrong and actually took my foot off the brake pedal as it made me jump thankfully I didn't hit anything but did overshoot the junction at the time

would be a good idea for everyone to find a nice quiet stretch of road and experience what it feels like that way you'll know what to expect if you ever have to do it in anger ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members