My DIY stealth sub box

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
Just thought I'd make a little thread of my stealth box install, its still not finished so I'll update it as I go.

Enjoy

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
Messing about with my old equipment just to see if it would fit

509ac7ef.jpg

f2586a92.jpg

6ac3998e.jpg

Trial fit
0a678d20.jpg

9870c1a5.jpg

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
Took the carpet out
10b55519.jpg

It already had some soundproofing
46faa59e.jpg

But I gave it some more (flashing tape as dynamat is well overpriced)
8fcaa985.jpg

Taped it up, yes that is a lawn mower for £65 lol, the paper is because I couldn't get the dam masking tape to stick to the plastic.
76263289.jpg

Then taped it up some more over the paper
3c2920a8.jpg

Last edited:

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
Now for the tricky part
***** Please note I have never used fiber glass before so it will probably mess up*****

This is taken after I messed up the mixture so I left it to dry while I got a lift to halfords to get some more
9601e0e2.jpg

Then had another go and left it to dry over night, the next morning It was still a bit thin so I started on another layer
73afff39.jpg

Then did half the mixture just to cover the corners as it started to rain
It may look like a crime scene but I need more resin again
5c73881e.jpg

Deleted member 12147

Looking good so far, I've built one of these before for my old punto gt. It does take time but is a good little project and you'll save quite a bit as the genuine stealth boxes cost a fortune.

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
Looking good so far, I've built one of these before for my old punto gt. It does take time but is a good little project and you'll save quite a bit as the genuine stealth boxes cost a fortune.

Tell me about it most are over £200, and all the stealth boxes I have seen won't fit a 15"er.

I'm also a strong believer of learning from your mistakes so by the time I have finished this i'll be an expert

Deleted member 12147

Yes u will be lol. I remember having to drive around while the fibre glass set the smell is terrible.

Popadopalous

Looking good so far. Something I have always wanted to try but never been confident enough to do. Is it realy that hard?

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
Looking good so far. Something I have always wanted to try but never been confident enough to do. Is it realy that hard?

Its messy, smelly, gives you a bad back twisting to get the top bit done;
But providing you learn from my mistakes and get enough fiber glass, resin and hardener, and you get the hardener to resin ratio right it's just like paper mâché for grown ups. I still need to get more resin to finish it off.

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
this will be my next project really missing bass now lol

That's why I'm doing it, I had this sub in a massive box in the back of my mk2 mondeo and still had enough room in the boot for the Olympic stadium and half of Birmingham.
But the Leon boot is just a little bit smaller than a ducks but hole.

gdjohny

Crazy Mechanical Engineer
Dec 25, 2010
Kettering
Great idea but for a big speaker like that you need more volume.
Looking at your sub it will have no more than 10 litres.

Deleted member 12147

Great idea but for a big speaker like that you need more volume.
Looking at your sub it will have no more than 10 litres.

I agree, for it to sound right you need to calculate the correct volume needed for your 15" sub.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
I did think about that but I have no idea how to work that out, and it will be kind of ported as I'm not sealing it behind the seats so I can still adjust the amp that's hidden on the back of the wood.
If you have any ideas on how I can work out how much volume I need then please tell me, I should be able to just move the wood further away from the side to get the right volume before I fix it all in.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise