APR vs REVO

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I was there at the pod when Keith did that run. It as his first run of the day done on normal road tyres as well. Its also still running the standard intercooler.

Purely going off of the 1/4 mile leaderboard you have some comparable times with REVO.

2 ). 12.701 @ 114.58 - MAN - GT3071R - REVO S3 - ROAD TYRE - AUDI S3 - Andy Oram
3 ). 12.733 @ 107.70 - MAN - OEM K04 - REVO S2+ - ROAD TYRE - AUDI S3 - David_Phillips95

So the APR Golf R has got half a second on them. I appreciate his has the DSG and launch control, but still, hes half a second ahead.

Remember DSG accounts for around 0.5 seconds difference time wise on a 1/4 mile.

If you want to compare big turbo vs little turbo, the same day the three MK2 Leons ran together (above) another car was also there - a 420bhp GT2871R MK2 Leon with APR code, and it was almost a second slower than the REVO and GIAC K04 over the distance and the terminal speed was approx 113mph as memory serves - and there is no configuration difference between these cars like Launch Control or DSG either. Admittedly, part of the challenge this car had was putting the power down (I drove it myself :))

The same APR GT2871R Leon recently ran at the 30-130 day mentioned earlier and clocked just under 160mph which as I understand it is there or thereabouts with K04 cars over the same distance. I guess the difference is though that the GT2871R will not be taxed as much as the K04 doing the same thing - I know that at the top end of that GT2871R car is very good though :). There will always be variables in any performance testing, and having never been to a 30-130 day, I understand terminal speed can = size of balls or number of brave pills taken before hand :lol:, so maybe not the best test either :)

I am glad you are happy with your map though :) - thought you were a ***** (the creature jaws was) man?

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
But something APR said to me just made sense and helped me with my decision to change yet again

'We will be able to maximise the safe potential of this engine with no issues at all. The only way REVO will make more figures is if they push past the safe parameters of engine'

as Al said above,it would be great if APRs marketing campaign wasn't by spreading rumours and slagging Revo off. Makes it seem like they have one trick in that portfolio.

Maybe the puppets could feed that back to Keith, or send him the number of a decent marketing executive if he can't do that as well,

anthony37

Take No ****!
Jun 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Seeing as people asked;

The first proper mapped/chipped VAG car I had was a 1998 Passat TDi 110, done by a cheapo cowboy mapper who I can't remember the name of. The car was quick enough with the map and still had good mpg, but it belched out smoke like you wouldn't believe. That taught me that you should buy something tried and tested, and that if you buy cheap, you probably will end up buying twice and cost yourself more in the long run.

My 2004 SEAT Toledo Sport 1.8T had a map from a tuner in Fife who will remain nameless. The code was actually pretty good - the r/r figures and performance were very nice and the car drove well too. I would not go back to that tuner however as customer service and locality were an issue for me. At the time however, it was the closest option available to me, and others had praised the map, so I took the chance.

I had my old MK2 LC REVO tuned from a local company who went out of business last year as a result of internet parts costing them too many sales of wheels/ICE/performance parts - not that it is relevant now, but it is still my opinion they never moved enough with the times, but the customer service in there was very very good - if only they took a similar route to the likes of JKM, Awesome GTi or similar, I am sure they would have still been in business. Scotland badly needs a company like them.....

Anyway, back to the code, in my opinion, like the customer service of the place who mapped the car, the REVO code they used was very good also as was the performance in Stage 1, Stage 2 and Stage 2+ guises. In my experience, the issue with the flat spot mentioned several times above is more of a trait on the 2.0T engine when tuned than the software, and I had/have logs from so many other mapped 2.0T's with various maps that did the same thing to varying degrees.

And for the other 19% of the 20% of Willy Wavers who are interested in going quickly.....:).........

.....for those hell bent on being the fastest, in my experience and opinion, REVO code is arguably the most flexible - what other code can be finely adjusted to take advantage of modifications like WMI, no air conditioning core, fuel additives etc by way of adjusting boost, fuel and timing to suit?

For those not hell bent on being the fastest - ie Mr Joe Punter who just wants a quick car, the plus side of REVO is that when the car gets mapped, it can have the recommended settings for their car based on any/all modifications and run it for the life of the car that way. I know of at least 3 other people local to me in that exact boat, each with a Leon Cupra 2.0T and they are all happy too.

Finally....

.....for what its worth, turn the clock back two years, and there was a complete APR car (intercooler, exhaust, fuel pump etc and the associated APR code), a GIAC car (Extreme 2+) and a REVO Stage 2+ Leon Cupra all running on the same day at the same runway. Ignoring 1/4 mile times, and focusing on terminal speeds (which tend to be similar +/- 1-2mph regardless of the 1/4 mile time), REVO had the fastest terminal speed (115mph) followed by GIAC (112mph) followed by APR (108mph). running on the same track on the same day. And if that is not conclusive enough, if you look at terminal speeds on the 1/4 mile tables on other forums, REVO cars tend to be doing the fastest speed by the end of the set 1/4 mile distance when compared to cars with other maps.

JonnyC who posted above, according to his own 1/4 mile table, still has the fastest known terminal speed on the 1/4 mile for a DSG 2.0TFSi Golf Edition 30 using a REVO Stage 2+ code (115.85mph). The fastest terminal speed on a Manual Leon Cupra 2.0T was also a REVO car on that same table with a terminal speed of 115.10mph (although it was actually 115.40mph).

Back to the present, and all the new products, facts and figures etc, I am sure someone else will be along to post their experience, thoughts, facts and figures behind their choice, and you should consider them too :)

[/£0.02]

Fastest stage 2+ Revo Cupra terminal speed was 116mph done in my car! Your ignorance towards people is starting to piss me off Al! BTW Al, my 13.0 was done with a passenger and interior, non to mention the open diff I used!

Last edited:

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
as Al said above,it would be great if APRs marketing campaign wasn't by spreading rumours and slagging Revo off. Makes it seem like they have one trick in that portfolio.

Maybe the puppets could feed that back to Keith, or send him the number of a decent marketing executive if he can't do that as well,
You can say the same about the SCN revo fan club. People get shot down for mentioning any potential competitor to them.

The way I see it the more competitors the better it is for the tuning scene for cusyomers. Maybe tfsi maps will reduce now as well asotgers like pTorque an RTec and jabba are doing very good Aps much cheaper.

Of course with revo and apr you get that switchability which is a bonus.

Ref what APR said to me, thatwasnt a dig at revo eitger. I said I want a revo rivalling performance, they said they cantake the car to its max safe limit and match them with no issues, the only way they will be unable to match is if revo go past that limit. So its not slating imo. Just highlighting that they would only go there if its safe.

As it happens revo won't develop any further thanstage 2 on the twincharged engine as they say its to unreliable. APR believe its fine as dud jabbasport

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Eh? Since when is SCN a competitor or APR?

I can't out what you're getting at.

Save for a choice number of tuners, who've either made legal threats or dicks out of themselves open discussion is fine here. Making bollocks up, or seemingly being directed by someone is frowned upon, but that's not stopping the latest raft of fanboys.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
Mork you've misread it. I'm saying the SCN REVO fans jump on any person that mentions a potential competitors to revo.The gti forum used to bbe llike this although now many are the opposite and there's a much more diverse range of customers all very happy

I don't know if it makes better figures, but the revo guys on here, Al for instance, when we originally said we thought the Golf R would top the leaderboard rubbished the claims. Turns out it didn't just beat it, it destroyed the other times. But that's still not proof enough....

There are good tuners outside of the revo bubbleAs guys have said previously. If your after big figures go revo. If you have other criteria then there are loads of options equal and or better available.

Just dont mention it in earshot of therevo fanclub

Last edited:

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
Now I wouldn't put support and revo in the same sentance unless it said 'lack of'

Typical response from revo is its the car not the map, or its a boost leak.

REVO got the best rep for tfsi through making the biggest figures. That's what sells maps at the end of the day. Rewind to the 1.8T days and revo weren't the favourites at all.

Now since the guy who used to write the revomaps is no longer there are you still gettijg the best support. Its the guy who wrote maps for superchips doing ut there now. Now that imo doesn't bode well because the superchips map I had was crap. Worse than any other tuned tfsi ive tried. Lots of guys with the same experience

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
I am glad you are happy with your map though :) - thought you were a ***** (the creature jaws was) man?

I was on thr octavia. Great map. My twincharged map was also vvery quick and smoith but ran very high boost. Jabba made the same power as it running 0.3bar less boost

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
Now I wouldn't put support and revo in the same sentance unless it said 'lack of'

Typical response from revo is its the car not the map, or its a boost leak

Most wouldnt put support and APR in the same sentence unless it said "lack of"

Typical response from APR used to be zero.

Just kidding Sy, APR do seem to be putting a bit of an effort in this time around. I do wonder if all their customers are going to get the same treatment as the ones able to make it to HQ though.

Did you rate the mapping on the Golf R demo car and would you say it gave good MPG?

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
The mapping was very good, super smooth.

The golf r was terrible on fuel though. Tfsi_mikes was much better on fuel despite the same map

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Where are the logs of both maps people as until we can compare them you can argue all day. Boost, Airmass, timing are all relevant but no one is posting logs to be scrutinised. At least with logs they are compareable and independant of dynos etc.

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
I think its going to take a while before people are going to believe in the APR software.
£600 is a lot for stg1 software and it took a lot of good reviews of the REVO stg2+ map to get me to part with my cash.

At the moment there is no evidence, just a few customers close to the company that are passionate about it. Its good that they want to spread the word but the louder you shout, the less people will listen.

Love is blind as they say, so facts and evidence are the still missing from the picture.

Nov 15, 2011
well if they have the rollers installed at APR when i get my stage 1 i shall get them to put it on with a before and after.

Should be this week sometime.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
I would think to get a refund from Revo they will want to flash his car back to standard.
So doubt there will be revo vs apr graphs

Sent from my iPhone

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise