cheap coilovers - ride quality

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Gonna be **** no matter what Ed.
I can't comment, was on the lower side of the spectrum, I knew it was going to be rubbish.
TBH it wasn't really really bad as I thought, was much better.
I would get JOM's over the other ebay ones (DPM on here will sort you out).
JOM's were actually really nice on my Bora, was very impressed.

Last edited:

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
I had FK AK Street coilovers on my last car / current car (corsa D) and to be completly honest i much prefer the ride compared to the standard.

I appreciate my car aint a seat but i found the coilovers to be just firm enough, not overly bouncy at the curernt ride height which is lowered about 50mil

When fully lowered the ride is still not too firm, but it is very bouncy.

I've friends who have all sorts of "budget" coilovers on a few different cars (golf, corsa, astra gsi) and none of them complain about the ride, they are cheap but they are slightly better than standard set ups on most cars

Last edited:

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
When you say OE shocks, do you mean new OE or reusing the existing ones on the car? I don't recommend the latter as they will be 10+ years old and will have degraded over time. The ride on my S3 (which has this combo) has degraded into something pretty unbearable now so I'm going to be upgrading to new shocks & springs at some point when I can find the Bilstein B12 kit at a decent price.

Also IMO if you fit coilovers you really need to set them up properly - i.e. have the car properly corner weighed and adjusted. I bet 90% plus of cars with coilovers are never treated like this and are just screwed down to a desired height and left like that with half the job done. You get the looks but not much else.

Last edited:

F2 Ed

now has VAG com
Nov 5, 2006
www.superlite-wheels.com
I only really want to go down 30-35 mm

i've had a couple cars on 40mm springs & old OE shocks and didn't enjoy it much lol. Ruins top mounts and other things.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
DPM do the FK Street for £195, I'm going for them as soon as I get paid next week.

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
Paid 180 for a set of coilies off of ebay. Cant remember the brand off the top of my head. But fully wound down. The stance looks nice however ride quality. BUMPY AND HARSH. But corners well. Did have g max 40mm struts and springs and was nice and comfortable but did leak eventually. They cost me abiut 140.

Deleted member 32025

I'd recommend spending a bit more than the cheapy £180 ones, i bought some about a year ago and for all they make the car look good, the ride is awful. If I ever lower a car again, it'll be going on a decent set of coilovers. I have learnt my lesson!