My DIY stealth sub box

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
Today's progress:

Took the thing out after a lot of wiggling

21844a70.jpg

Managed to use the other halfs parents garage so I didn't have to cripple my back doing it in my boot
84fbefc1.jpg

Picked up another kit from halfords on the way and added another layer of fiber glass
b80a427a.jpg

And after doing all that I then realised that the kit from halfords didn't have any hardener in it :censored:
so I had to make do with a tiny amount I had left from a previous kit so it ended up like this
30e91190.jpg

So I'm going to go back tomorrow and complain until they give me some, then hopefully finish it off.

bencorden

Hi Dozer,

Just joined on here as I've got myself a Cupra to replace my Audi quattro but what these guys are saying about getting your enclosure to the correct volume is by far the most important factor in great sounding bass - your box will have a 'resonent frequency' and a smaller enclosure can often make the bass sound 'dirty' because this frequency produces a peak too high. Now, if your enclosure isn't too far out you may be able to get away with puttng some acoustic treatment in which will if you like confuse the sound wave and make it travel further to the back of the enclosure making it sound like it is bigger. What you're doing so far looks great and I applaud people for giving it a shot as following a few basics will give you what you need for a fractino of the cost of buying a stelth box from somewhere else. Alternatively you could consider the JL Audio TW series which came out a few years ago now but are awesome subs designed with stealth enclosures in mind.

I'm sure you'll get there but give me a shout if you need any more help

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
Cheers Ben.
At the moment I'm just trying to get the back bit sorted and solid, then I can just fix the mdf further away from it to get the correct amount of volume. I don't know what that is yet but I had this sub ever since my first car and it was the biggest one of 15 speakers in a little fiat tipo, and has spent all it's time in its old flat-top wedge box that made it sound epic (would shake the back window out at full volume) so I might just try and work out its volume and go with that rather than try and find the recommended one from the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
Another update. I took the box back to halfords and told the woman at the till that I had already placed all the fiberglass where I wanted it and that I had used some of the resin but the box had no hardener in it and she went and got a new one. I opened it in front of her to show her the bit that was missing from mine and she said, that's all ok then you can just have that one then, and handed me the new box. So woo hoo I got an extra half a tin of resin and loads more fiber glass free :D

Then did the hopefully last coat of mixture and left it to dry over night.

I'm gunna trial re-fit it tomorrow and then try and work out what kind of volume I'm going to need.

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
According to one of the links from JMS (thanks :cheers: ) my old box was 2.23 cubic ft, I have no idea how to relate that to my stealth box, I might just have to get the water out.

d2d3932a.jpg

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
love the project may have to have a look into doing this myself.

with having 2 kids i need all the boot space i can get

just make sure u get a big kit from ebay or something and not the loads of the ones from halfords to save loads of time and effort

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
trial fitted today
c0d9f0f2.jpg

0aa32bf5.jpg

needs sanding and cutting down a bit, then i need to find a way to fix the mdf to it.
im thinking of making it a sealed box now and have the amp on a removable panel fixed inside it, a bit like the look of this one
100_1989.jpg

Dudfield

does look good. i will be keeping an eye on this as the two subs i have out of my megane coupe will be way to big and heavy, need something better and smaller

Dudfield

i got two 15"ers but i built huge boxes for them and made it out of 18mm MDF so weigh a fair bit lol.

time to rethink it.

leoncupra2012

Mar 7, 2012
Liking that what youve done there !

I purchased one of those fli/vibe twin 12" sub enclosures with built in amp about 3 months ago had it in my old car for 3 weeks before i sold it and didnt want it in the leon i want something like youve done, think im going to sell it and use the money to fund a custom build like yours :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.