remap mot?

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
I'm sure I read the control unit modified bit was to do with physically soldering stuff on the ECU or something

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Don't they run a checksum/filesize check on mappings at the manufacturers? I think this is what they would do to detect any software alterations. The better maps will be undetectable to this anyway, I know it was one of the selling points for my APR map, sold as completely undetectable to diagnostics.

File size will never change, and checksums will differ between versions of manufacturer software, its all done with complicated algorithms. The amount of kit and knowlege needed to read every car certainly makes it highly improbable this kind of check will ever be implemented, tuning costs a lot for a reason and most of the good kit is very expensive and complicated.

A lot of the newer better tuning kit even gets rid of flash counts on some of the newer ECU's, and there are a lot of new ECU's which need removing from the vehicle to be read (specific manufacturers would not release protocols/access keys like these to MOT station). So I wouldn't worry about any of these issues, they may do a visual check (though alot of ECU's are buried) or look for aftermarket ECU's being fitted.

Last edited:

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
A lot of the newer better tuning kit even gets rid of flash counts on some of the newer ECU's, and there are a lot of new ECU's which need removing from the vehicle to be read (specific manufacturers would not release protocols/access keys like these to MOT station). So I wouldn't worry about any of these issues, they may do a visual check (though alot of ECU's are buried) or look for aftermarket ECU's being fitted.

But given that they aren't even allowed to move engine or sump covers (leading to the advisory "unable to check due to covers obstructing view" or whatever it is, it's not going to be difficult to hide them!!

mickyp1989

Dec 8, 2011
took it to kwik fit. full service and mot. passed its mot with no advisories =)

although they didnt reset the bloody service light!!!! grrr

so revo stage 1 remap. fine for a mot. the end

Dec 3, 2009
you can do that yourself tho!
kwik fit for service? :O

to reset service light, turn the ignition on, turn it off, turn it on, turn it off, change the radio statio to classical FM, turn the car on, indicate to turn right, find a mile straight of road and after covering 250m reach into the glove box and compeltely look away from the road for 500m, return attention to the road for the remaining 250m, floor it, fiddle with the stick near the speedometer whilst honking the horn and turn the car off once you reach 100mph, bring a usb kettle to make a brew whilst rolling to a stop, 3 dashs will appear and it will be reset

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
you can do that yourself tho!
kwik fit for service? :O

to reset service light, turn the ignition on, turn it off, turn it on, turn it off, change the radio statio to classical FM, turn the car on, indicate to turn right, find a mile straight of road and after covering 250m reach into the glove box and compeltely look away from the road for 500m, return attention to the road for the remaining 250m, floor it, fiddle with the stick near the speedometer whilst honking the horn and turn the car off once you reach 100mph, bring a usb kettle to make a brew whilst rolling to a stop, 3 dashs will appear and it will be reset

:lol: thats quite an indepth explanation.

Dec 3, 2009
I followed every single topic and it wouldn't reset! then one random day I poked it and it reset?¬!

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
This new law will be coming into play soon however I can't see how you can tell if an ecu is "illegally" modified. If that was the case then surely it would be "illegal" to sell remaps? Revo and big companies would go under

uksteffy

Jul 18, 2011
Bristol
an mot is to make sure a vehicle is safe to use on a public road. how does a remap make it fail?

say you have a tdi 130 and its ben mapped to 180, its not going to have brakes for a 180 bhp car n all that guff they say apparently.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.